Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this has probably been asked 1000 times, but searched and didnt get a answer.
I have a 05' double cab with rcd 6" lift and 315's... how important is looking into new gears? serious?..if i dont get gears is that a timebomb for everything (to much stress because of the bigger tire) i just drive on the street, no offroading. I guess my real question is i have 315's do i really need gears?

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
If it is 2WD, the expense won't be huge. Get a set of 4.56 gears, if you plan on keeping the truck at least another year or two.

If it's 4WD, you really need to think about how long you want to keep the truck, since regearing both ends is pretty expensive, particularly if the shop is doing the teardown and reassembly in addition to the work in the differentials.

If you plan on keeping the truck a good long while, get the gears. If you'll sell it in a year or two, don't bother...just try not to lug the engine. Your transmission gear ratios are better than the early models, and I ran 315/75/16 tires on stock 3.91 gears on my 2K model for about three years, I think.

-Sean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it is 2wd. Say i go ahead and put the gears in, i was gunna run my stock tires in winter? and take the 315's off. would the gears that i got installed then botch everthing up if i put the stock ones back on. is it not a good idea to run stock tires on winter to just keep rims in good shape. so sorry when it comes to gears... im clueless.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
If you return to the smaller diameter tires in the winter your rpm's will be higher but should not result in any problems unless you plan on doing a lot of hwy traveling on those smaller tires.
In icy situations the additional rpm can cause some problems if you have a heavy foot and break the rear end loose easier. just need to feather the throttle in varying conditions. keep the tires planted on terra firma

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you only drop down to the 305 tire you will be fine. There will not be that drastic of an RPM change.

·
Supporting Vendor
597 Posts
I'd go 4.88 for sure.

this has probably been asked 1000 times, but searched and didnt get a answer.
I have a 05' double cab with rcd 6" lift and 315's... how important is looking into new gears? serious?..if i dont get gears is that a timebomb for everything (to much stress because of the bigger tire) i just drive on the street, no offroading. I guess my real question is i have 315's do i really need gears?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts