Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear what I think is gear whine sound that is present at all speeds, but changes frequency with speed. I am going to take it in to the dealer, but thought I would ask for opinions on what it could be here. I am wondering if a constant whine that changes with speed is indicative of a particular component failure. Seems like the whine lessens some when I change the gear oil in the the rear end.

I am not really where the noise is eminating from and I don't remember the truck doing this when it was new. It could be coming from the either the rear end, front diff, wheel bearing or maybe it's just my tires. I have a newer set of Bridgestone Dueller Revo ATs with maybe 10K miles on them. The Tundra is a 07 with 52K and to this point it has been flawless.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Axle bearing or driveshaft carrier bearing could do this. A pinion bearing issue will usually howl more on acceleration or deceleration because the pinion gear changes position with load.

I just had the left rear axle bearing replaced on my 2010 DC.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I recently had mine done. I thought it was the right axle bearing because the noise was louder on that side when driving with both windows down BUT it ended up being somewhere in the carrier or pinion. They replaced the whole carrier assembly including the outer case. They said I had large chunks of metal in the fluid which probably caused the problem.
I have never towed anything nor overloaded the truck which they did question me about. Hopefully you have some type warranty cause its probably gonna cost a few $$$$ for the parts and labor.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased an extended warranty before I hit 36K. That purchase was inspired by reading this forum and various problems people have had, kind of reminds of when I owned jeeps and read the jeep forums. That was one of the main reasons I switched to Toyota for 'reliability'.

I change my own fuilds and have never noticed any metal in the used oil.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
You were lied to. Metal floating around in the diff is the result of parts failure, not the cause.

That may be true but I have a new rear end so I'm happy to be with out the noise. But there were a few here that did their own fluid changes and posted pictures of metal slivers that were in the oil when they dumped it so it may be true. I never saw it so I cannot confirm what actually was in the oil. i totally understand that metal in the oil is the result of damage though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer has confirmed that the noise the truck is making is not normal. It's going in next week to get diagnosed. I hate leaving my truck at the dealer, but need this thing fixed. On a side note, my center console vinyl separated from he lid at maybe 30K miles. I never took it in to the dealer before I hit 36K. I asked the dealer if they could fix this time at 52K miles, but they said my platinum extended warranty does not cover trim items like doors panels etc... It only covers mechanical and electrical items, read the fine print is what they told me.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
it may be coming from the front diff,, we have had a few in last few months come in with your same complaint.. there is a tsb for it....

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
On my 4.7 I had a whine like that. It would change in intensity when shifting, but pitch was speed (not RPM) dependant. They had to replace my trans and that cleared it up. It had about 31K miles and I have the 75K extended warranty. If it breaks again before my warranty is up, I will push for more warranty on their dime.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine just started making this noise a few days ago. i have tried coasting in neutral, engine on, engine off, in 4WD, in 2WD and it's always there, road speed related, not PRM and seems to slow of a whine to be drive shaft related, sounds more like wheel speed. Not impressed. It goes in, again, this Monday. Only 48,000 kms on it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I took it in to the dealer on Friday. They gave me a loaner and kept the truck for the day. The end result was they found nothing wrong with the truck. They said it has two cupped tires that are generating the noise. Apparently they put it on a rack and ran it with the tires off and it was quiet. Not sure why they took the tires off if it was on a lift, but maybe they special rack setup for this type of checkout. Also, I would think if it was a on lift and ran there would be no load on the drive train, which could bias the result. Service guy was gone when I picked up the truck so I did not get any more details on what was done. They said I need to increase my tire pressure to make the tires wear more evenly. The tires are fairly new maybe 10K on them Bridgestone Dueller REVOs ATs. I would have felt beter if they put a different set of tires on it and ran it around to verify the nosie was gone.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
their prob full of sheet.. the front diffs make the noise your describing when in 2 wheel drive... you cant run a truck on the lift in 2 wheel drive and listen to the front diff for noise... your getting dicked around.. i will bet the front end need rebuilding per the tsb....

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
oh and the tires on my truck are trashed, worn to hell and choppy, and my truck is still quiet as a mouse..

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
FYI a new TSB came out for rear axle bearing noises also.. so you all know.. I know some of you already had some done.. but toyota now knows its and issue...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't dealers make money off warranty repairs? Seems that if it was failing they jump at replacing a $3K front diff. The thing that kind of bothers me is that when I change the gear oil it seems to quiet down some, but that could be psychological. Maybe I'll try another dealer. I took it to Big Two Toyota in Gilbert AZ and would be interested in knowing if there is a better dealer to go to in AZ Phoenix area. I am pulling camper up to Colorado near future and I hope this thing don't break down on trip.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
yep I make 80% of my money from warranty.. because of these pedal recalls my earning went up about 10k so far this year,, i don't know what there problems is,, a lot of tech are afraid to work,,, thats the truth.. I make about 90-120 hours a week in a 50 hour work week.. others make 40-60 hours.. why? cause they don't like to work hard.. me,, Im there to make money,, and then slouch at home.. haha

ask to go for a ride with the foreman, or the service manager... you get the service manager to hear it,, they cant tell him or her their nuts can they... sorry your having so much trouble.. suks.. wish I could do it for you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What specifically fails mechanically in the front diff that only shows when in two wheel drive? I agree if the dealer had it on a lift they would not be able check the front diff in two drive mode and would only be able to check it when in 4 wheel drive andthe noise may then not show, ff it is predominately two wheel drive related issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts