Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tracks that guide the lift gate window has rusted out. I was able to buy replacement parts on ebay. Does anyone have instructions and/or tips on how involved this is to replace.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was deep inside my liftgate yesterday hooking up a backup cam and noticed my guide rails are shot as well. It's a pretty straight-forward operation once you get the trim and access panels off. You can let the panel with the ECU hang by the harness, it stays mostly out of the way. Before you get to that point, lower the rear window an inch or so to release the tension on the regulator bolts. Once you take the four 10mm nuts off the regulator, you can push it up past the holes and pretty easily move the window up and down to ease access if needed.

The guide rails are attached to the liftgate by 3 10mm nuts and allow quite a bit of movement inside when loose. As for the guide wheel's attachment to the window, I'm not sure, but diagrams I have seen seem to show a 2 point attachment with, I'm guessing, more 10s.

My left side had rusted into 2 pieces, the wheel was missing, and the bent remnants of the guide wheel assy was riding outside the channel resulting in a blood curling squeal with some grind-y sounds. As a temp fix, I put the tab back in the channel (after a thorough wire brush cleaning), light coat of syl-glyde, and its working surprisingly well now but I'm looking for replacements. How was your experience getting them off ebay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I have already had the panel and trim off already to vacuum out the rust from the guide rails. The right side facing the lift gate was rusted and not longer did it’s just.
I was able to get a pair of rails and the window mount for $150 and had it in a week. I’ll let you know if it’s works.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Before you install the parts, go buy yourself a can of rust inhibitor spray like fluid film or por-15 etc or the next one will end up doing the exact same thing. Then use the rest of the can on other parts of the vehicle where rust is prone to happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would also advise removing the window motor and spraying it down with electrical contact cleaner. I had to "treat" my motor twice over a 10yr span with my '06 and live in the Pacific Northwest where there's not a huge rust problem, but definitely a "wet" problem. Not sure of cost to replace the motor, but I was able to 1st time spray the motor without removing at approx 4yrs old and took it out and did a more thorough job at about 12 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts