Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I guess I am not that observant. I bought my used 2002 Tundra last year and thought something was different about it, but didn't know what. Well, I finally figured it out. It has a ford looking front grill! It uses the original TRD mesh, but the grill housing is "pointing" down like a ford instead of up like a Toyota.

Does anyone have any info about this mod? I ask because it is literally coming unglued. The plastic is cheap and can't stand up to the heat we have had here lately. I either have to buy an original replacement or find some parts for this one.

Maybe this mod was popular back in 2002 or so? Anybody?

I feel pretty silly not noticing it, but it does use the origina metal grill and looked like an OEM part.... ....just not a Toyota part as it turns out! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Any pic's?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am feeling more and more like an idiot with each post....

It IS a Ivan Stewart Grill and it seems to have been added later.... They are made POORLY! CHEAP plastic.....

THANKS for helping me figure this out.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I am feeling more and more like an idiot with each post....

It IS a Ivan Stewart Grill and it seems to have been added later.... They are made POORLY! CHEAP plastic.....

THANKS for helping me figure this out.
How we learn, so keep asking questions. Not sure how you got cheap plastic though. The mesh grill is metal. The surround is decent quality in my view, at least for those years.

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
FYI, don't toss it out. Ivan Tundra fans are out there and will want that grille. Cheap plastic or not, it's not in current production anywhere.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
If you decide to sell the truck someday, keep the grill. Those puppies are a hot property. You could get upwards of $300 for it in just about any condition.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could get upwards of $300 for it in just about any condition.
Seriously? Wow.

Thanks to all who helped.

The cheap plastic issue is with the housings for the connectors that attach the entire grill assembly to the hood. ....and the mounting points for the grill. It has gotten brittle and has cracked or broken. Dang thing is barely hanging on. Lost a couple of the T-shaped bolts that fit in the slots and then go through the holes in the hood.

If this thing is that rare, it'll be worth it to repair. Damn, I would have probably tossed it if I had been able to find an original grill assembly last weekend! YIKES!

Thanks folks!

Rob

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Those T-bolts are readily available and not too pricey,they're the same ones used in regular Tundra grills. I've had to replace some on my IS grill,haven't had the actual mounting spots come off though.

$300 eh? I should sell my inventory of IS grilles :devil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts