Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go fishing camping sometimes with friends and family and my 2003 2WD Sequoia does sag at turns when heavy loaded (5-6 adults + cooler + camping stuffs). The stock shocks started to show some leaks so I am replacing these with Bilstein 5100 for the front and Bilstein HD for the rear (I read that the OME 60002 could be a good alternative as well but went with Bilstein HD for its popularity...).

Anyway, the question is:
Should I upgrade the rear stock coil spring in the process as well? I don't need any crazy lift, just want to improve the ride on heavy load. I found very little discussion on the Sequoia coil spring upgrade. On this forum, I found one owner going with the OME 865 and another with OME 862. On some other forum, another owner used the stock Land Cruiser 100 series coil spring as a direct replacement for the Sequoia to provide better handling with just 1" lift...

Below are the coil spring spec for the OME and Ironman4x4 as well as the Land Cruiser stock replacements, just don't know which one would be a good fit on the Sequoia? Any suggestions...? Or should I just get some (1") spacers?

OME coil springs specification for Toyota

Ironman 4x4 Suspension - coil spring specification

Toyota Parts Zone: Land Cruiser 2003 springs and shocks (multiple part numbers and heights?)

Toyota Land Cruiser Series 80 & 100 coil springs and shocks

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have the same problem you do. i want a little more but i couldn't find what you provided. thanks for the charts. also i talked with escondidotundra (keith) and he advised me to go up maybe 100-150 lbs on spring rate. i just didnt know what the original spring rate is. i carry about 200 lbs of stereo gear (amps, subs, and boxes) and a saquatch (my son, 6' 1" 260 lbs) lol. plus all our camping gear. but i to don't really wanna lift it. i can live with maybe a 1 inch but nothing more. i hope this helps a lil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great idea. Purchased my Sequoia in December and have not had a chance to go camping yet. I bet I run into the same problem you do. I will be keeping up on this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
looked at the thread n they really didn't say what spring rate they went with on the rear.(the spring rates they talk about are for the fronts) front springs rates are heavier to compensate for the motor and basically the front of the truck. rear springs are not usually that heavy. unless you are road racing or something, lol. in the Ome chart johnqle listed, the numbers he referenced are for 200 lbs spring rates (OME 865 and another with OME 862). as it was explained to me by several sources. the spring rate is how much weight it takes to compress the spring 1 inch. in my case i dont do much off road, just highway miles so i am looking for a variable rate spring. to keep the comfort but handle the load when i need it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
been lookin around but apparently the spring rate for sequoias is a state secret or something. not able to find what the factory spring rate is or what the free standing height of 1 is either. these 2 numbers would go along way in figuring out what i need anyways. maybe if i get a chance will scour local boneyards see if i can find a spring just to get spring height.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
posted in another thread...

I recalled in some threads that others have used the Land Cruiser 100 series rear stock spring as a direct swap for the Sequoia and that gives about 25-40mm lift. From the OME spec for the LC 100 series (page 56), the REMARK section states that the OME 866 will reduce the LC 100 OE height by 10mm and the OME 862 will reduce it by 30mm - while increasing the load capacity.

So it seems like that the OME 862 would be the closest substitute to the Sequoia OE spring height.

Or maybe just go the simpler way with airbag lift such as the Airlift 1000 or Firestone Coil-Rite 1000 for about $100? I found great reviews that the airbags would reduce the sagging while increasing load capacity as well. In this case, any recommendation on Airlift vs. Firestone?

OME coil springs for LandCruiser 100 series.jpg OME coil springs for LandCruiser 100 series (2).jpg OME coil springs for LandCruiser 100 series (3).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm bringing this back. Right now I am searching for a 1 inch spacer to mount on the top of the stock coil. Or a new coil that will yield 1 inch of lift.

I've found the Rancho RS70081 spacer off the Rancho front/rear quick lift kit. Unlike other kits such as these, you can buy the Rancho rear spacer by itself. The issue is nobody lists the actual lift height. I called Rancho last week and was told it was 1 inch. I called this week to get another spec on the spacer and was told it might be 1 3/4. Who knows.

Then there's the OME 862. How much actual lift are you guys getting out of this coil by itself (no added spacer)? Spec on the OME coil is 460/470 mm which is 18.11/18.50 inches. I pulled the stock coils the other day (06 Sequoia tow package 4x4) and they measured 16 inches long. ~2-2.5 inches coil length difference stock vs. OME does not necessarily equate to the same amount of lift depending on the compression of the loaded spring. Who knows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Then there's the OME 862. How much actual lift are you guys getting out of this coil by itself (no added spacer)? Spec on the OME coil is 460/470 mm which is 18.11/18.50 inches. I pulled the stock coils the other day (06 Sequoia tow package 4x4) and they measured 16 inches long. ~2-2.5 inches coil length difference stock vs. OME does not necessarily equate to the same amount of lift depending on the compression of the loaded spring. Who knows.
Under normal initial weight of the vehicle, the springs will measure different. Your stock ones will probably compress more than the OME 862. I'm guessing, not sure exactly with these springs, but I do know that different ones compress differently, making the unloaded measurement not a good basis for height changes.

hope this helps

·
Registered
142 Posts
maybe if i get a chance will scour local boneyards see if i can find a spring just to get spring height.
Unloaded OEM 4x4 06' with tow package spring height ~ 16 inches. OME862 are ~ 18 inches. Like MrV8 said, this means little because loaded (compressed) height may be different. We need someone with the OME862 to measure from hub to fender.

Then we can measure a comparable stock vehicle hub to fender to determine overall lift from the OME862. Here's the specs for various OME springs-

Cruiser Outfitters

·
Registered
142 Posts
Read this morning that Sseaman got around 2 inches of lift from an LC100 coil spring. The OME862 apparently lowers an LC100 truck in the rear by 30 mm = 1.18 inches. So 2 - 1.18 = .92 or about 1 inch of lift from an OME862 on a Sequoia … in theory.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Also found a ~1 inch spacer option. Man-A-Fre 80SB30R 30 mm spacer for LC80 and LC100 rear. If the LC100 springs fit the Sequoia, the spring spacers should also fit … in theory.

Spoke with Rancho yesterday and confirmed their spacer is actually 2 inches, not 1 inch like they said the first time I spoke with them.

I think I am going to stop messing around and just order the OME 862. I'll Probably change my mind in about 5 minutes though ...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi I have ome 862 medium duty with bilstein 5100 on my sequoia. It will give you 1 inch of lift and the ride still almost as stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts