Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
i checked under my truck bed and couldnt find the harness... so i guess its not pre-wired.... is it possible to get all the wiring and install the gentex camera...

Hey man, read through the thread and this looks like a long process; i BBM'd you a solution :devil:

:skijump:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really need a backup camera for this beast. I checked and found Backup Video Pre-Wire connectors above the overhead console and under the bed, near rear bumper, just right of center.

After watching several backup camera installation videos on YouTube, a "Plug & Play" Backup camera and Mirror Monitor system was purchased for my 'new to me' 2007 Tundra from TailGateCamera ($269.99 on sale but now out of stock).

The factory type connectors at the mirror and under the bed plugged right up. Mirror has a solid green power indicator light that comes on only when reverse is selected but no image shows up in monitor in mirror.

Supplier said to check for four tiny corner Infrared lights at camera -you can see them light up if working; they were not. I checked and there is no power on the factory connector that ultimately leads to the handle camera. Also, supplier said that I would not be able to measure the video signal with my multi-meter, that specialized (highly sensitive) equipment would be required.

https://tailgatecamera.com/collecti...p-camera-and-4-3-mirror-monitor-for-2007-2009

Has anyone else run into this issue or solved it without cutting and splicing wires in the factory harness?

Problem solved on the mirror wire harness by splicing the white 12V power wire to the purple, power to the camera, wire.

Supplier said it may be necessary to provide a ground to the camera negative as well but this was not necessary as I already had a good 'black wire' camera ground.

I checked engine compartment fuses #19 (30A), #20 (15A) also cabin fuses #56 & 57 (both 7.5A) just above emergency brake and all fuses were good.

Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
Adding a back-up camera really helps if you need to hitch up a trailer. For general backing up it is hard to beat the rear view mirrors but it is nice to check the camera view to make sure no kids are hiding back there. The camera still works great. Unfortunately the (probably) aftermarket tailgate handle failed after just three years. Fortunately I must have accidentally left one corner of the bed cover un-latched the last time it was folded back, so I was able to uncover the bed to access chainsaws and stuff back there.

Mark

21 - 23 of 23 Posts