Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellows,
I'm curious about adding a Gentex mirror to my truck. I have an 06 DC that does not have the Home Link, temp and compass. I do have the overhead console but not the one that has the other options. The Gentex seem to be a nice product. I was wonding if any of you have used one in your trucks and if you did is there a problem chasing the wires to the fuse box. The reason I ask is; is there a side curtain air bag that you have to worry about on the drivers side. And what would the procedure be to remove the pillar interior parts. It seems that there is enough room to tuck the wires up behind the head liner but the divers door pillar has me concerned. I figure the overhead console or the mirror. Not exactly sure of which way I'm going. Gentex makes a mirror that has the Home Link, Auto Dimming, Extra map lights, Temp, and Compass. That's a pretty nice setup.

thanks
Ben

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I put one in my truck.
the install is a cake walk.
The door sill comes off, the kick plate comes off, then the post trim.
There are 2 plugs in the handle, remove those plugs to expose the torx heads for the fasteners (2 of them)
that handle comes off pretty easy then the trim is simply clipped in place, gently pull the trim off.
It will be odd across the header of the door, but not at all complicated.
The most difficult part of th entire install will be getting your wires through the grommet (if you are like me, and try to have this perfect, barely large enough hole for the wires to pass).
Instructions come with the mirrors and they are straight forward, make sure you get a copy before leaving the dealer.
Power and ground are clearly outlined in the instructions, and all the hardware is provided.
PM me if you have trouble.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dave,
I have a simila Gentex with auto - dimming, compass and Homelink ready to install...one question...where did you connect your wires?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Dave,
I have a simila Gentex with auto - dimming, compass and Homelink ready to install...one question...where did you connect your wires?
Thanks,
Chris
I assume you mean power and ground...
The ground is simple, behind the kick plate (driver's side). You'll see the wires coming out of the fuse Dbox to that post (10 mm I think)
I got frustrated finding the power wire the instructions specified, so I got out the trusty test light and found my own.

Also, there are a few other posts scattered around this site, try searching for a schematic, or another's detail of the power tap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
that is my frustration as well...do you know which hot wire you used or did you just go with the first one you found without identifying it?

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
that is my frustration as well...do you know which hot wire you used or did you just go with the first one you found without identifying it?
I believe that what I used was associated with the window, or the door locks. I dont really remember, but I have had ZERO problems.

I simply verified that it was switched power and connected it there.
Good luck.

I am sure that others here have completed this install, and they may have a more suitable soution for you, so keep an eye on this thread for alternative locations.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the reply, did you purchase yours locally or over the net??? I haven't found a local dealer but that shouldn't be a problem. Do you fellows know of an internet source that has decent prices and is reliable?? Also, what is a good price for one that has Home Link, Temp, Compass and possibly the map lights.

Dave, by the way did you install the Temp sensor?? I was wondeing where you exited the cab and how you ran the wires to the front of the radiator shroud area.

Thanks
Ben

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
I got mine from this guy. I paid $99 plus shipping -- $14, I think -- and his service was great. It was used out of a wrecked late model GMC, but still in perfect shape. His prices seemed reasonable, even on new units.

I used a volt meter with those sharp pins to probe wires in the drivers side kick panel until I found a switched 1. I got it on the 4th try. The mirror came with a T-tap that made connecting to the switched wire easy.

My biggest mistake was not disconnecting the battery during the installation. Leaving the door open for just an hour drained it! It's also safer to disconnect it.

I got the temperature probe wire through the firewall grommet by taping it with electrical tape to the bent-over end of a stiff coat hanger wire, adding a dab of silicone caulk to it as lubricant, and shoving it carefully along side the main harness from the engine side. The instructions said to cut a small X in the grommet, but I didn't like that idea. Then I re-taped, and siliconed the grommet when I was done.

I really like having the temperature, and compass information. It's dead accurate.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for the reply, did you purchase yours locally or over the net??? I haven't found a local dealer but that shouldn't be a problem. Do you fellows know of an internet source that has decent prices and is reliable?? Also, what is a good price for one that has Home Link, Temp, Compass and possibly the map lights.

Dave, by the way did you install the Temp sensor?? I was wondeing where you exited the cab and how you ran the wires to the front of the radiator shroud area.

Thanks
Ben
I actually popped the grommet out, and used a leather hole punch (line one you would use to make new holes in your belt) to make my hole for the cables throught the firewall. I was not willing to risk damaging the insulator on any existing wires.
Just a tad bit smaller than the wires, and some silicone for good measure.
the probe is behind the drivers headlight. I placed it so that if you really look, you can see it between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the light. I wanted clean air hitting it, but that may not be the best, just what I wanted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't understand why I can't use the factory wiring on my 2010 SR5 Tundra

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have added auto dimming/compasss/temp mirrors to all of my vehicles that didn't come with them.

Picked them all up at the salvage for 5-10 bucks.

When I did my tundra, it was very easy to hide the wiring under the headliner. If you have power and a ground already there, you would still need to run the wires for the temp sensor and technically the wire that turns it off when you throw it in reverse.

I just found a key on powered wire in my fuse box and hooked it up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts