Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to best get hard water spots out of machined wheels. I have tried mothers mag & aluminum polish, but it seems to come back. My wheels look like trash.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well, I don't know what type of finish a machined wheel has as far as chemical resistant and susceptible the finish is to chemical etching but typically, the "hard" water is due to the calcium in the water; and, sometimes it's the combination of calcium, magnesium, iron and sometimes lime. I have use a product called CLR on things before but I always test a spot first and I never leave it on and let it sit. I only use it in the area I am working and immediately rinse. CLR is a product designed to remove calcium, lime and rust. But you need to make sure it will not etch your finish by testing an inconspicuous spot first.

Another method is to use a power tool with a power ball attached to it along with a fine polishing compound that will buff the spots out and then go over the area with an acrylic protectant like Klasse so that the water cannot easily adhere to the finish in the future. I know that sound like a lot of work but it may be worth it.

Finally, you may just want to try to google "water spot remover" and see what products are out there. You may want to try an on line store called autogeek.net and see what they have for this. You could give them a call and see what they advise. You may even want to consider looking into solutions used to remove water spots on boats. I hope this helps. I have had good success with all these options so I hope you do too!! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Try to use the mag and aluminum polish with 00 steel wool. Make sure it is 00 because it is very fine and not too abrasive. Instead of applying with a rag, dab the steel wool into the polish and use it, along with some elbow grease. It may take patience and several applications. There is a product called simichrome polish that I've had good luck with as well.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, opinions vary.
it all depnds on how bad they are.
and there are alot of products to try.
all are not to expensive.
every wheel is different.
and wilel react differently to each product.
i was at a store today and seen at least 5 different products.
you might hit it right, or you will continue to try new products.
hopefully you will find the product that woks on your specific wheels.
good luck,
gorilla

1 - 6 of 6 Posts