Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the group and just picked up our second Gen 1 Sequoia in the last 3 weeks. This one will be my daily driver (2004 SR5 4wd) and the other one will possibly be my wife's primary or just a third/travel vehicle (2005 Limited 2wd). My 2004 has a pretty decent stock sound to it, but I'd like to get just a little more out of it.
Most days I'll only be driving 15-20 minutes to and from work, but we will also be hauling our dogs in mine for hour or so long rides at times. I had a 2001 Quad Cab Dodge Ram with 5.9 and Magnaflow stainless steel catback single exit exhaust kit, absolutely loved the sound and volume of that setup. So that's where I went immediately to look at for the Sequoia and noticed right away it's $850 for that setup. Little pricer than I was expecting but of course inflation has driven up even the price of the kit I had on my Dodge to almost $700. Then I noticed I can get the stainless Gibson for under $400. From the youtube videos I have found from behind the vehicle and driving inside the cab, I'm not noticing much of a difference between the sound or volume of the 2 setups. I did hear a bit of the drone in one video on the Gibson at 1800-2000 rpms, but haven't heard the Magnaflow at similar constant rpms....... Is there really enough difference in the drone noise between the 2 kits to justify over double the price for the same material exhaust?

I have looked at the DirtyDeeds catback Sequoia kits with Helmholtz as well, which are $650 in aluminized or $850 in stainless.

Right now I'm leaning towards giving the stainless Gibson a try, but figured I'd ask if anyone has had both Gibson and Magnaflow or all 3 mentioned.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Any cat back system thats less than $400 doesnt sound like it could be made very well, you get what you pay for. Dont get aluminized. Check the warranty between that and stainless. Usually 2 years vs lifetime so your not saving any money when you replace it because its rotten in a few years. I had Magnaflow on my Tundra and didnt like it. Droned like hell. Your choice but I would do DirtyDeeds all day long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I really have no interest in aluminized. Thanks, I wondered about the Magnaflow but haven't heard anyone actually say it did.

That Gibson kit is Stainless. I've seen quite a few videos of it on 4.7 4Runners, 1st gen Tundras, and 1st gen Sequoias. Even a few written reviews and most people seem to be pretty pleased with everything about it.

I'm definitely doing a little more research on DirtyDeeds.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Just do a search on here of DirtyDeeds aka Bam mufflers. I have not read one single post where someone purchased his stuff and wasnt happy with not only the sound but a bit of a gain in performance as well.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Literally just got done installing this. 2 inch y pipe with 2.25 inch straight that is flaired at one end. Went right together, 40 bucks and sounds pretty good to me. The rest of the exhaust is completely stock including the resonator. There is some drone around town but not bad at cruise rpm.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I install MagnaFlow on my 2000 and replaced it with Gibson. I also have Gibson on my 07. MagnaFlow had way too much Drone and wasn't restrictive enough for the right power. Gibson is actually manageable on the highway. I have talked to BA muffler several times but haven't tried one yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts