Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Gimpy Old Man needs tube steps

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Buttfly 
#1 ·
I have searched the threads on tube steps and running boards. My knees are gimpy and I will need surgery on both in the future. I am having a hard time getting my butt into my 2005 Access Cab. I never had steps or running boards before. I think stainless steel with stainless steel bolts are they way to go. A wide tube step should meet my needs. I'm on a budget. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
As far as I know, you can't get tube steps that are that wide. Maybe 3" across max. However, since it sounds like the wider the step the better, you would probably be better off getting running boards. Those are 6-7" across and if you were to get them from the dealer, you could get ones that are color matched to your truck or you could simply get all black aftermarket boards.

My .02

#3 ·
#4 ·
I think your right on the stainless steel. I have had both painted and chrome and they both rust after a few years....at least in salty/snowy new england. I would problem get them to save money again if I wasn't in a salty/snowy state.
Both steps I have had were the 3" or so (guessing) diameter tubes. I would prefer wider steps since snow and ice build up on these and they are easy to slip on. the wider ones also give something for other peoples doors to hit before they ding your truck.

#5 ·
I'm not sure what your budget is like, but I have some used running boards off of my 01 Access cab. I'm not sure if they will fit but I'd thought I'd let you know. Also, they aren't the correct color. You could probably get them painted for not to much.

Just take a look in my pic gallery.

Either way good luck with your search! I hope you can find something that suits your needs.

#6 ·
Check out Pistolpete's picture gallery. He has Hybrid nerfboards from ONKI. I just purchased them from truckaddons for 351$. They have a larger footstep but don't look like running boards.

Unfortunately I am having issues installing them on my 05 Access Cab. My 05 doesn't have the same mounting points as PistolPete has on his, so while it appears simple on his truck, it hasn't been easy on mine. I'll know more after easter. My father in law is a mechanic/welder so he's going to help me fit them up w/o having to drill into any body metal (as was suggested by the ONKI manufacturer)

If you are interested PM me and I'll let you know what happens

#7 ·
Thanks for the input. I went to the dealership to check out matching running boards. The parts department said that if I had a doublecab, that they could not install running boards. They said it takes a $90,000 piece of equipment to install them and dealers won't spend that kind of money for this equipment. But they can install them on my Access Cab. He priced the boards at over $700.00 but said they would charge me $642.00. He started to call the service department for the installation cost, but I declined due to the price. They had some Westin tube steps on display. I called the Westin distributer earlier and they wanted $479.00 to installed chrome over stainless steel platinum series tube steps. The parts dept called Westin and they quoted him $420.00 installed. This is better. So now I'll shop around a little more and maybe check the salvage yards.

#8 ·
It sounds to me the person you talked to was giving you alot of BS. I have seen painted to match running boards on quite a few double cabs. Did he explain why this $90,000 machine is needed?

Another option would be to find whatever step you like on eBay and have them installed by a local shop or a friend. I am sure you would save quite a bit of money doing it this way.

#9 ·
. . . The parts department . . . said it takes a $90,000 piece of equipment to install them and dealers won't spend that kind of money for this equipment.
That's such a pitiful, absurd lie, I'd never do business with them again--at least not until I knew someone (you, perhaps?) had gotten that a$$hole fired). FYI, if they're what you want, you can do like I did and obtain Toyota OEM color-keyed, lighted running boards for a DC by ordering at substantial discount from other Toyota dealers with online parts sites. It's the same running boards as those on a Sequoia.

Installation is straightforward and additional explanation is posted in other threads here on TS. I know because I wrote part of 'em. Post back if you want more details. I'll be glad to help you with more info.

#10 ·
That's such a pitiful, absurd lie, I'd never do business with them again--at least not until I knew someone (you, perhaps?) had gotten that a$$hole fired). FYI, if they're what you want, you can do like I did and obtain Toyota OEM color-keyed, lighted running boards for a DC by ordering at substantial discount from other Toyota dealers with online parts sites. It's the same running boards as those on a Sequoia.

Installation is straightforward and additional explanation is posted in other threads here on TS. I know because I wrote part of 'em. Post back if you want more details. I'll be glad to help you with more info.
What the parts guy said was that running boards had to be installed at the factory for Sequoias and Tundra double cabs. Since they are bolted on I think it was B.S. It seemed that they weren't interested in selling me running boards. I bought my truck there and I lost count of the lies the salesman told me. Thanks to TundraSolutions I knew more about the truck than he did. It's no surprise that the Parts Dept. would give me a line of B.S. Parts guy gave me his card and I may call tomorrow to ask why a $90k piece of equipment was needed to install the running boards. Just for my info. But I won't be dealing with them. It's bad enough to fend off salesmen on the way to the parts dept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.