Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Toyota Sequoia Limited owner. My first Toyota anything. Love the new SUV. I am converted. I am doing my own oil changes. Recommended for Sequoia. Kind of oil and how often. With my former Ford Explorer I was using Pennzoil (which I am now told is not any good) every 3000 miles. Suggests on care car are welcome from Toyota veterans.

Rayzmor

·
Registered
487 Posts
Depends on how much money you have. I would use 5W30 conventional SL-rated oil and filter change at the following intervalves:

600 miles
1200 miles
3000 miles
5000 miles

This will allow you motor to "break-in" and seal as best as possible. Drive it easy during the first 1000 miles or so (no quick starts or stops, etc). I don't believe in "the motor requires no break-in." All motors require break-in and how you break them in has a direct effect on its fuel economy, its ultimate power output and its life!!!

At 5000 miles, change to a synthetic. I use Amsoil but have used Mobil 1 in my Ford. Use the same synthetic brand from now on. Change oil and filter every 5000 (I don't buy the extended drain intervals) and the motor will last a lifetime. In addition, at 5000, I would flush the tranmission and put in synthetic ATF and replace the gear oil in the two differentials and transfer case with synthetics. Congrats on your new Tank!!

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rayzmor,

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to TS.

I changed my oil every 5,000 miles which the manual recommends.

Guess this will depend on your driving situation, if you drive it hard in a stop and go traffic with also some four wheelin' :devil: then I suggest changing it often than the manual recommends.

I heard a lot of positive responds on Mobil 1 synthetic, some members will swear by it...

Allan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Change the oil and filter at 1500 miles with conventional 5w30. At 5,000 miles change over to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 with a new filter. From there it's Mobil 1 and Purolator Pure 1 filter every 5,000 miles or 6 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts