Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2006 Double Cab to the dealer the other day for the lower ball joint replacement, and had an opportunity to look over some of the 2007 models. What I saw made me glad I have a 2006! The version they’re now calling the “double cab” is what used to be the “access cab”, and the “crew max” is what used to be the “double cab”, except with a shorter bed! Prices for the crew max looked to be about $6000 more than what I paid for my double cab. Yeah, I guess the 2007’s are bigger and maybe faster, but the design is nothing special. IMHO, the new Silverado is a much better looking truck. I don’t see how Toyota’s going to get die-hard Ford and Chevy fans to switch over. If I was looking for a new truck today, I’d give the Silverado a hard look. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same here, love my 06. Too bad I have only 12 months left on my lease. I'm going to hate to see her go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am also glad I have a 2006 AC :)
Now you have the 2007 Double Cab :)

The Crewmax has more legroom than the 2004-6 DoubleCab but not much. Toyota was definitely out for the bucks with this seemingly obvious ruse.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The new tundra is a totally different truck when compared to the older tundra, not to mention it's in a different class of it's own. I absolutely love my 05 AC and would never give it up for an 07 of any style. If I were to make a second choice of truck, I'd be looking at a silverado as well. I could probably get used to the 07 tundra body style, but the interior makes me want to vomit - it just screams F150 all over the place. I won't be trading unless something catastrophic happens. The ONLY thing I like about the 07 is the 5.7 powertrain.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree. The 2007 Tundras went TOO big, IMO.
They went after the Ford F150/Superduty size, which is just too big. I think they should have just scaled the 2006 up from 7/8 scale to full scale with some other changes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I took my '03 AC into the dealer this morning to get the ball joint recall performed, and I had them drain and fill the coolant, trans fluid and rear diff at the same time. I had the day off, so I waited for the work to be done...I'd taken along my portable DVD player and watched "Enemy at the Gates" while I waited...great movie. :tu: Anyway, they had a pretty good selection of new Tundras, so I spent some time looking at and in them. I just really can't get excited about them. My truck is the perfect size for me and my needs. It's the perfect blend of power and comfort. I have under 45K on the truck, and the service writer remarked at how clean and well kept it was.

On the way home, the truck drove great, and it seemed to shift a little better. It was still quiet, no squeaks or rattles to complain about. The truck goes off lease in 3 months, and as much as I'd love to talk myself into buying or leasing another new truck, I can't do it. I realized that I just really am in love with my '03, so I'm going to buy it and take care of it for another 3 or 4 years.

I'm a lucky man. :D

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
When I dropped my truck off yesterday morning I looked at one of the 07's while I waited for my ride. The deep tunnel instrumentation makes me wanna hurl. What dumb a$$ approved that design? A 2d instrument panel does just fine thank you very much. Besides I don't much care for the back doors on the new dc and all of the new models cost too much. I think that the interior on the new sierra looks pretty sporty myself. Toyota must of included smoking crack while designing the interior of the new truck because it just comes up short imo. If I had to buy another truck today I'm pretty sure that nissan would get my business.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I am definitely glad that my garage has an 05 AC. The next time around, I am hoping that Toyota has an improved Taco or another pickup other than the huge 07 Tundra. ALL of US know that this gas situation will ONLY get worse and will NEVER get better, unless all of our salaries will be going up big time. NOT...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drove a buddy of mines crew max and was impressed with the powertrain. smooth as silk 6spd and supercar power.
Ride quality was same as my 06 but has a much higher payload.
More quiet then last years model.
The fit and finish was typical toyota, more interior room is noticable.
But...the instrument cluster design should be called verdigo/disco!
No kidding your eyes want to focus on the rings around the gauges but you have to look past them and into a 2" deep tunnel to see the starwars laser needles.
Also seems like if you were to use this truck on a dusty job site, cleaning these ports would be a hassle.
Very nice truck but did not make me want to hang a sign on mine just yet.

geo.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I took my '03 AC into the dealer this morning to get the ball joint recall performed, and I had them drain and fill the coolant, trans fluid and rear diff at the same time. I had the day off, so I waited for the work to be done...I'd taken along my portable DVD player and watched "Enemy at the Gates" while I waited...great movie. :tu: Anyway, they had a pretty good selection of new Tundras, so I spent some time looking at and in them. I just really can't get excited about them. My truck is the perfect size for me and my needs. It's the perfect blend of power and comfort. I have under 45K on the truck, and the service writer remarked at how clean and well kept it was.

On the way home, the truck drove great, and it seemed to shift a little better. It was still quiet, no squeaks or rattles to complain about. The truck goes off lease in 3 months, and as much as I'd love to talk myself into buying or leasing another new truck, I can't do it. I realized that I just really am in love with my '03, so I'm going to buy it and take care of it for another 3 or 4 years.

I'm a lucky man. :D
You must be a wise man. Let me guess, you are over 40.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Sounds like most of you haven't driven the 07... after driving F-150's at work and riding in a new F-150 and a Ram 1500, the 07 Tundra wins hands down. Its more powerful, more comfortable, and all around better IMO. Give one a shot if you get a chance, they're worth a drive (even if you're not really looking for anything).
I can't say anything about the new Silverado when compared to the new Tundra because I've never driven any Silverado... but if it's anything like the Ram or F-150, you can keep it... I'll stick w/ a Tundra.

·
Registered
796 Posts
1st off let me say I really like the new Tundra's but I will be keeping my 06 for at least 5 years..

I think the reason we like our older Tundra's is this....
When we decided to purchase our trucks we all knew they were a little smaller and not really a hardcore work horse but a very reliable,exceptionally smooth,capable to do plenty of jobs around the house and what not kinda truck...
We didn't pick the big burly contractors pick-up because most knew we didn't need anything like that which is exactly what we now have with the 07 if you can understand what i'm trying to say :eek:

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Sounds like most of you haven't driven the 07... after driving F-150's at work and riding in a new F-150 and a Ram 1500, the 07 Tundra wins hands down. Its more powerful, more comfortable, and all around better IMO. Give one a shot if you get a chance, they're worth a drive (even if you're not really looking for anything).
I can't say anything about the new Silverado when compared to the new Tundra because I've never driven any Silverado... but if it's anything like the Ram or F-150, you can keep it... I'll stick w/ a Tundra.
YES, I have driven an 07. I just don't think it is worth the price in the long run. My truck is a great one and will last more that 200k. Isn't that why we buy a Toyota? (longevity or at least I did)

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
1st off let me say I really like the new Tundra's but I will be keeping my 06 for at least 5 years..

I think the reason we like our older Tundra's is this....
When we decided to purchase our trucks we all knew they were a little smaller and not really a hardcore work horse but a very reliable,exceptionally smooth,capable to do plenty of jobs around the house and what not kinda truck...
We didn't pick the big burly contractors pick-up because most knew we didn't need anything like that which is exactly what we now have with the 07 if you can understand what i'm trying to say :eek:
EXACTLY, thank you for putting my attitude in words.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a conspiracy theory that whenever toyota redesigns the tacoma, they'll upsize it a bit more to be in what is now our 1st gen. tundra class. every truck manufacturer is still thinking bigger is better and I truly believe toyota loses some buyers that want size but compatability and giving up that 6 foot bed in the org. tundras for a little more leg room is a big factor. I won't be driving a new tundra for that reason. I camp out of mine and everything else so it's not even a question.
I could be way off on that theory, but who knows? it won't be too long before they start rethinking the tacoma. maybe 2-3 more years?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of the reasons I bought a Tundra was that the double cab version came with a 6 foot bed. Ford and Chevy both offered only 5.5 foot beds with their half ton double cab version. With the short bed on the crew max, it's hard now to differentiate between Ford, Chevy and Toyota.

A lot of the guys on this forum trash Ford and GM products as being unreliable, but my experience with a GM product has been just the opposite. I traded my 1995 Chevy Silverado 1500 for the Tundra with about 120,000 miles on the clock. During that time, I only had minor repairs (brake pads, water pump and alternator at about 100,000 miles, EGR valve, etc.), and the truck was totally reliable...never let me down once. A friend of mine just bought a 2007 Suburban (he decided to replace his ten year old Cadillac at 250,000 miles), and the build quality of the Suburban looks to me to be comparable to that of my Tundra. I can't speak for Ford, never having owned one, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another GM product.

That said, I didn't buy a truck so I could tow a horse or boat trailer or haul around heavy pieces of machinery. I use it for camping, hauling furniture my wife buys, mulch for the lawn, family outings, etc. I'd bet 90 percent of pickup owners use their trucks for just about the same thing. So why do I need a truck that can pull 10,000 pounds? IMO, the 2006 Tundra is ideal in size and capability, and making it bigger doesn't mean that all of a sudden Ford and Chevy owners are going to be jumping ship and lining up to buy a Tundra. There's just not that much to differentiate the Tundra from the Ford and Chevy half tons. And based on the prices I saw for the new Tundra, I doubt they're flying off the lot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the better strategy for Toyota would have been to spruce up the basic Tundra design and sell it for less than the "full size" Chevy and Ford offerings. I guess time will tell...

·
Registered
43 Posts
When toyota did the press release over a year ago I did not like the 07. It grew on me and now that I have seen it in person I thinks it looks very good. But like others have mentioned here, the 07 is in a different class. I like my 06. It does every thing I need it to do. Plus the price I paid for my 06 4x4 Dcab SR5, (24000 OTD). Cant beat that. I could never get that type of price on an 07 now.

Long live the 1st gen:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the 2007's look OK...but they're not particularly eye-catching like the Silverado or Denali. I've actually only seen one on the road here in Houston, and I didn't realize it was a Tundra until it turned toward me and I saw the grill.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts