Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why the fact that the factory didn't put the glove box light on a switch bugs me so d**m bad......but it just does. I didn't even realize that the light was on any time the headlight/parking lights were on until I installed a #74 LED last week.....then my overly anal engineer mind started ticking and I knew I was going to have to submit to my OCD ways and change things up a little....it doesn't help that I'm out of "projects" on my rig right now either!

1. So I started by visiting my local Radio Shack and picking up a pack of mini momentary switches, be sure to think about it right and pick up the "Normally Closed" type.....or be prepared to make another trip there like I did.....oops :rolleyes:! I soldered 20 ga. stranded wire on the connector tabs and then used a little heat shrink and my heat gun to pretty things up a bit.

2. The next step I removed the plastic cover in the top of the glove box area that houses the light, there's three phillips head screws in plain sight that have to be removed to get the cover out. Once the screws are removed, simply unplug the light connector to get everything out of the way.

3. Next I drilled a hole in the dash with a 9/32" drill bit, you can feel behind the dash and see that you have to drill between to raised flange areas back there. I just "felt" my way through the exact placement, I put it just about in line with the little tab (stop) on the glove box lid so the switch would hit on the flat area on the back of the lid.

4. I then installed the switch, I opted to leave the lock washer off that came with the switch....no need for it in my opinion and it helps give you a little more threads due to the thick dash plastic. In case you're wondering, the other large black wire you see there in all that mess is actually the USB cable that connects my Ipod that's in the glove box to the back of my head unit.......

5. Next I cut the ground wire on the plug, I suppose you could use either wire for the switch leg, I just prefer to switch the ground to minimize "hot" wires running everywhere under the dash and avoid possible future shorts.

6. After finishing the install it was hard to tell if the switch was closing when the glove box lid was closed and I couldn't really tell if the light was turning off by looking under the dash. So I decided to add a small striking pad for the switch to hit to remove any doubt. It's simply a very small felt pad with adhesive backing that I picked up from Lowe's for another past project. I tried the little clear rubber "bubble" pads that are also over in the hardware area at Lowe's, but they were too tall (which kind of tells me that the switch was probably closing without the pad). To mark where the pad needed to be located, I took a small dab of white teflon sealant I had laying around and put it on the switch, then closed the lid and it left an imprint of the switch on the lid (which confirmed that the switch and lid were at least contacting each other).

So there you have it........a step-by-step for a totally useless mod........but it makes me feel better knowing my little LED isn't in there burning for nothing :devil:! Plus, it's been years since I've ventured out of the "Off-Road" section on here......I'll be quiet and go back under my rock now :)!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Good idea!

I didn't realize there was a light there until a few years ago when someone else mentioned it. Why Toyota decided to wire this light in such a fashion is anybody's guess. Must have been at the end of a shift for the engineers.

Looks like I'll be visiting the Shack as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Nice!!! Now hook one up to the hood and connect it to a light. I wish toyota installed a light under the hood...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice!!! Now hook one up to the hood and connect it to a light. I wish toyota installed a light under the hood...
That's a pretty good idea - constant, fused hot to one of my spare switches mounted in the lip of the fender (or fab an aluminum L-bracket and screw it to the firewall), and mount a couple LED strips on the bottom side of the hood.......saweeet.......new project - thanks Mike :D!

I need to do a quick calc to see how many LED strips the switches can handle....gotta go!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
To check the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
367 Posts
Forget about all these lights. What are all those shifters on your floor?

Me and my completely automatic, totally push-button DC are jealous!!

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
There's a light in the glovebox???!!!

good mod (light switch)

great mod! (sticks! is there a post of that?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well if there are other Tundra owners out there that would like an idea for a hood light...here ya go. I got one of the heavy duty LED strips from
Super Strong Flexible LED Strips
They are a bit pricey but are very tough and put out a crazy amount of light. I can flip my light on in pitch black and i can see everything under the hood like it was day time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forget about all these lights. What are all those shifters on your floor?

Me and my completely automatic, totally push-button DC are jealous!!

The two on the left are front and rear hi/lo and the one on the right is the hi/lo for the reduction portion - 4 speed Atlas transfer case, details are in my build thread linked in my signature.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not very good in electronics so could you explain a bit on the splicing of the wires? There should be two wires running to the light, you cut those two and just connect them to the two coming from the bought switch?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not very good in electronics so could you explain a bit on the splicing of the wires? There should be two wires running to the light, you cut those two and just connect them to the two coming from the bought switch?
No, the switch is wired in series with the light -

Cut the white/black wire and run one end to one side of the switch and the other end to the other side of the switch. Think of it as cutting a section of wire out and putting a switch in between the two halves......that may have made it more confusing :D......

If that doesn't make sense to you let me know and I'll try to do a better job of explaining what I'm trying to say.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Well if there are other Tundra owners out there that would like an idea for a hood light...here ya go. I got one of the heavy duty LED strips from
Super Strong Flexible LED Strips
They are a bit pricey but are very tough and put out a crazy amount of light. I can flip my light on in pitch black and i can see everything under the hood like it was day time.
Nice! I lit my whole eninge bay too with white and red LED's. It is on a pin switch that lets them come on with opening of the hood, and I also have a switch that turns them totally off or on and bypasses the pin switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know why the fact that the factory didn't put the glove box light on a switch bugs me so d**m bad......but it just does. I didn't even realize that the light was on any time the headlight/parking lights were on until I installed a #74 LED last week.....then my overly anal engineer mind started ticking and I knew I was going to have to submit to my OCD ways and change things up a little....it doesn't help that I'm out of "projects" on my rig right now either!

So there you have it........a step-by-step for a totally useless mod........but it makes me feel better knowing my little LED isn't in there burning for nothing :devil:! Plus, it's been years since I've ventured out of the "Off-Road" section on here......I'll be quiet and go back under my rock now :)!
Thanx for the post! Wow--I bought an '06 DC a few months ago and kept wondering if there was a bulb in the glove box (that cab can get pretty dark at night). I saw the bulb cage where I eventually found the bulb, but what was throwing me off was the fact that I didn't see an obvious glove door switch for the light. You're saying that it stays on all the time (even when the door is closed) that the headlights are on? That explains why I was reading 0 VDC on my meter--didn't even consider that this was a headlight-operated, unswitched light. I'm going to definitely put a glove door switch in--after I find the right bulb (the one that looked the same had bulb contacts in a different position than the socket and was loose). From other posts, I might need to go to the dealer to get one.

The under hood work lights looks like a great mod too--just need to figure out where to get 12 VDC from.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts