Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Pretty sure it is worlwide sales, not US auto sales. GM still leads by quite a bit here at home.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yay one more step towards being dominated by Japan.. Seriously it dosen't make some of you guys somewhat bitter that america is simply being out done in almost every aspect. I am not blaming Toyota. I'm actually impressed by their extreme expansion. I'm more pissed at GM for letting their car segment lag behind for so long. I just wonder when GM and Japan will eventually collide as world super powers. It will happen again eventually and i'm doubtful the results will favor the good ol US this time. This has nothing to do with Yota taking over, just seems odd to be excited that another American Icon is being surpassed. I know my fiance is looking for a car right now and won't even look at a GM, and i don't blame her a bit. Probably going to go with another Honda. Oh well.. I still don't see the facination with the camry/ carolla. Those have been the two most bland cars for years but toyota seems to be doing quiet well with them. I think the Tundra is a winner for Toyota. It just came about 5 years too late. I think a revamping of the previous model to provide much better mpg would have been a better financial move for toyota.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think were closer to being dominated by Mexico, than Japan, so I'm not too worried. Not to mention the big 3 and most other vehicle manufacturers are "international", so not too much difference there.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It was hardly an overnight thing, its been slow and methodical since the 70's, all the crap the new Camry took and people are buying the hell out of them.

If GM built a top notch car and truck starting in the 80's when all the bitching about quality was going on, then this would've never happened. I'm sure it could go back and forth for a while before #1 becomes clear and steady.

Don't worry so much about Japan or Mexico, its the Chinese that will be knocking.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Bitter?...no way. Maybe this will make the big 3 finally get off their butts and build a better product. Every year I bought a new Chevy truck I heard the same line of crap, "This is the best Chevy truck GM has ever designed", and all three were still garbage.

Competition is a good thing for business. It forces companies to create inovative, higher quality products.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Bitter?...no way. Maybe this will make the big 3 finally get off their butts and build a better product. Every year I bought a new Chevy truck I heard the same line of crap, "This is the best Chevy truck GM has ever designed", and all three were still garbage.

Competition is a good thing for business. It forces companies to create inovative, higher quality products.

No bitterness here either. They've made their bed, now they can lay in it.

My dad heard the same crap as you did when he'd buy a new GM. This is the best truck GM has ever designed. And, yes, most were garbage.

Yeah, competition must step up to the plate if they want to play ball.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yay one more step towards being dominated by Japan.. Seriously it dosen't make some of you guys somewhat bitter that america is simply being out done in almost every aspect. I am not blaming Toyota. I'm actually impressed by their extreme expansion. I'm more pissed at GM for letting their car segment lag behind for so long. I just wonder when GM and Japan will eventually collide as world super powers. It will happen again eventually and i'm doubtful the results will favor the good ol US this time. This has nothing to do with Yota taking over, just seems odd to be excited that another American Icon is being surpassed. I know my fiance is looking for a car right now and won't even look at a GM, and i don't blame her a bit. Probably going to go with another Honda. Oh well.. I still don't see the facination with the camry/ carolla. Those have been the two most bland cars for years but toyota seems to be doing quiet well with them. I think the Tundra is a winner for Toyota. It just came about 5 years too late. I think a revamping of the previous model to provide much better mpg would have been a better financial move for toyota.
No bitterness here....i'm sure you'd expect that from me though, right?

Honda makes great cars......or you could wait for the new 400hp supra w/ 0-60 times in the low 4 second range?

Yeah, toyota is a little overdue for the new tundra. But it's here now.

Revamping? I don't know, i'm not a bit unhappy with my mileage. And i haven't even been able to take a long road trip yet.
As of now, it's getting better than my 02 AC 4x4.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Read up on your history abit and somewhere along the way you'll find where they were VERY CLEAR when they made this statement afterthe bombing ........
You Won this Battle,But NOT the WAR !
Hard to soak thru that hard American raised head ain't it ?
Instant Gratification Addicts,spoiled rotten thru the last 5 Generations to the point of genetic alteration.

WORK = Reward
Not the other way around :rolleyes:

Where are all the Clinton Supporters now ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Finally!!
Did anyone ever notice how good cadillacs became after lexus started becomming real big in the states. I think this is the best thing to happen to GM. By the way i do not know if they sell them there in the states but here people love to drive these besides their japanese cars :chevy caprice and lumina ss (holden in australia). These are GREAT cars by gm(well the engines at least).

Competition is healthy, the wolf climbing the hill is always hungrier than the wolf on top of the hill.

BIG Congrats to toyota

·
Registered
74 Posts
BEWARE OF CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Within 10 years they will be putting the big hurt on Toyota and everyone else.

Did you know, as we speak, they are building huge gas refineries in an effort to control the cost of gasoline world wide. Once these refineries go online, they will force our refineries to shutdown because we will not be able to compete. Then its game over, China will control the world via gas supply.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As an American, I feel terrible for GM right now. While I feel bad about what is happening, none of this is a huge surprise to me. GM is largely responsible for most of this mess themselves. You can hardly blame Toyota for making better cars and consumers for spending their hard earned $ on better cars.

GM has some of the world's best engineers however they're hampered by some of the world's worst managers and beancounters. GM is a classic case of how poor management can destroy a company. Ford and Dodge are the same story.

The author of this article says it as good as anyone can -

Toyota Replaces GM as the World’s Largest Automaker

“Our goal has never been to sell the most cars in the world.” For those who’ve been following GM’s fall from grace, this statement– following the revelation that GM has ceded its "world’s largest automaker" title to Toyota– probably comes as no surprise. Or maybe it does, because it arrived via Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco. Or maybe it doesn’t. Toyota achieved this monumental victory by focusing on a process that led to a goal; whereas GM has been all about the money, for quite some time. And therein lies the tale.

You don’t need to compare long and short term business plans to understand the difference between Toyota and General Motors; although if you did, GM’s recent inability to devise a coherent platform strategy or develop a world class economy car would certainly give you pause for thought. All you have to do is sit in a few cars.

You can argue that the relative quality of GM's interior plastics don’t make no never mind. You could say that a four-speed gearbox is plenty of cogs, given their robust engineering, adequate performance and reasonable mileage. You could prevaricate over pushrods or defend GM's value-for-money vis-a-vis the competition. You could conclude that there isn’t any significant, appreciable difference between a current Toyota and an equivalent GM product. Not now. Not anymore. And you’d be wrong.

Don’t take my word for it. In the first three months of this year, Toyota sold 2.348m vehicles. In the same period, GM sold 2.26 million vehicles. All of these buyers had a choice. They chose Toyota over GM because they believed the Toyota product was superior. Yes, “believed.” Even if the “real” difference between a Toyota and a GM product exists entirely in their minds, well, it's still a product-related reality.

Automaking is not the French Revolution. GM can’t simply tell car buyers to forget the past, history starts here. No wait, here. OK, here. Consumers remember their past experiences with an automaker’s products. Just as a carmaker can build a reputation with years of consistent quality and service, bad quality and lousy service can destroy it by the same process, only faster.

Which is just as it should be, and exactly what GM has done. After years of alienating customers with shoddy, non-competitive products and indifferent (or worse) treatment, they’re reaping what they’ve sown. It’s a perfect example of a free market in action, or, if you prefer, simple Darwinism.

Here in the world’s biggest automotive marketplace, GM has provided a textbook example of de-evolution. When I started the GM Death Watch in April ’05, the company had a quiver full of domestic products ready to counter all those lingering bad vibes and “progress” its turnaround.

Including badge engineered products, GM launched the Saturn Sky, Aura and Outlook; Pontiac G5, Torrent and Solstice; Buick Enclave and Lucerne; Chevrolet HHR, Hummer H3 and Cadillac DTS. They updated the Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado; GMC Yukon and Sierra; and Cadillac Escalade.

While some of these models have created a buzz in the U.S. market, none has generated the predicted, mission critical market share uplift, or a return to profitability. How could they? With an estimated 7123 dealers for eight brands selling 42 models, no one model can possibly make up for the dogs, or significantly elevate earnings.

Meanwhile, in the same time period, Toyota has launched two new models: the Yaris and the FJ Cruiser. They’ve updated the Camry, Avalon, Tundra, RAV-4 and Lexus IS, ES, GS and LS. Toyota has less on its plate, and so (arguably) makes it better and (inarguably) keeps it fresher.

Why wouldn’t they? With 2422 dealers for three brands selling 30 models, the company has the development money, marketing budget, healthy dealer network and low cost structure it needs to stay ahead of the pack.

Make no mistake: Toyota knows exactly what it’s doing. It will continue on its current trajectory until GM’s world domination is a distant memory. Not that The General’s destruction is their goal. As company spokesman Nolasco said, "We simply want to be the best in quality. After that, sales will take care of themselves."

The truth is GM has cleared a path for Toyota. GM blurred its once proud brands through botched badge engineering, and then tried to fix the problem by adding brands rather than retrenching. Its fate was sealed. Given that GM’s now wearing two straitjackets– one with a union label and one enshrined in U.S. dealer franchise law– it cannot escape the consequences of its arrogance and short-sightedness. All that’s left is the unraveling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts