Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Worried? I don't get that from what I just read. More like they are aware of Toyota's BS ad and they want to use that to thier advantage when confronted by a customer who is on the fence. If GM is worried, I'd say it's no more than Toyota is in fear of GM. The Silverado seems to be doing very well and has been getting lots of good press. They are also getting ready to impliment a bigger engine (6.2L) and a 6 spd.

·
Registered
479 Posts
More like they are aware of Toyota's BS ad and they want to use that to thier advantage when confronted by a customer who is on the fence.
As compared to the GM ads that have been just as ridiculous at times.

If GM is worried, I'd say it's no more than Toyota is in fear of GM.
So which of the two companies has a reason to worry?Which is operating at a loss and which is making enough profit to be opening new plants?

·
Banned
888 Posts
To bad that goober wasnt at "Press Day"when all those Chevys puked up shocks,rear-ends and gotta love the twisted calipers LMAO !!!
Let'em rant ,their playing catch-up :rolleyes:

and they will which will confirm their rhetoric once again

:td:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Worried? I don't get that from what I just read. More like they are aware of Toyota's BS ad and they want to use that to thier advantage when confronted by a customer who is on the fence. If GM is worried, I'd say it's no more than Toyota is in fear of GM. The Silverado seems to be doing very well and has been getting lots of good press. They are also getting ready to impliment a bigger engine (6.2L) and a 6 spd.
I don't beleive toyota is in any fear of GM whatsoever. It's definately vica-versa.

I think the gm commercials are full of more BS than toyota's. I have yet to hear a toyota commercial that claims they are better than gm or ford like GM'S newest one: " more standard horsepower than ford or toyota."

Now that's Bull$hit advertising.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have to admit, I was considering a new model 07 GMC 2500 HD pick up until I gave it a good looking over. It appears to be a rust bucket in the making. Open panel joints with no drain holes, tinny bed sides, questionable electronics, etc. Think i'll stick with Toyota.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I noticed the postings at GM Inside News where the referenced letter link in the first posting of this thread had some interesting activity. Not only did the dealership management that wrote the email have a negative history with many of the GM drivers, the intelligent and more reputable GM insiders discounted this letter and in the process contacted sources within the controlling test organization conducting the tests seen in the commercials, AMCI Testing. They are upset that this letter might make GM look as stupid and uncredible much in the same way the bogus "You Tube" video did for Ford.

Here's a what one GM dealer had to say:

I checked my sources from AMCI and they were able to confirm that not only was the see saw real, that representatives from Guiness Book were there to consider it for the worlds largest see saw. AMCI confirmed the weight of the trailer @10,000lbs Plus a 187lb driver.
This dealer letter claims Toyota says they have the biggest brakes. They claim to have the biggest rotors ... not brakes!
If we start bashing Toyota we will look really scared of them. And we will look really foolish if we get corrected.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
ps... it was the AMCI employees driving Fords and Chevys in the "making of" Video. The Tundra was under embargo and not yet being built during the video production anyway
All data has been confirmed by AMCI as a valid test. Another note... The see saw tundra was tested 3 ways. An ascent angle of 20, 24 and 30 degress. The commericail was filmed at 27.5 degrees.
And yet another GM dealer said the following:

So now is Ford going to send e-mails to there dealers stating the new GM HD ad where the 3500 dually is towing a train is fake? How about Dodge complaining about Ford towing a Barge?
The Ford and Chevy commercials didn't have the words "actual test" shown on the bottom of the screen. Toyota's did.

As a further example of how desperate GM and Ford have become see the following story in the Detroit News posted yesterday:

Toyota trucks have Big 3 defending turf

·
Registered
549 Posts
I recently owned a 07' Caddy Escalade and can tell you that the build quality was horrible. The doors were misaligned causing a very high pitch wind noise to enter the cabin. I had a water leak coming in from the windshield, and the new 6 speed tranny was very rough and could not seem to find the correct gear. And, this was on a Escalade (their top of the line product). Obviously, quality control is non-existent on GM products. I think GM quality is getting worse...not better.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't beleive toyota is in any fear of GM whatsoever. It's definately vica-versa.

I think the gm commercials are full of more BS than toyota's. I have yet to hear a toyota commercial that claims they are better than gm or ford like GM'S newest one: " more standard horsepower than ford or toyota."

Who's playing catch up? GM outsells Toyota in the truck market by a huge margin. I know it's hard for you guys to swallow, but GM has a real nice truck on their hands, just like Toyota. Early in this game, GM has dominated Toyota in the sales arena for new trucks. Most all of the reasoning here that GM makes a bad truck is severly biased and totally untrue. You will get the same thing towards Toyota if you go to a GM board.

They all use BS advertising. Some people are smart enough to know the difference, many are not.

I could be wrong here, but how is "more standard HP" bs advertising? Isn't GM's base engine the 5.3 and Toyota's is the 4.7? The 5.7 is not standard..

·
Registered
330 Posts
I recently owned a 07' Caddy Escalade and can tell you that the build quality was horrible. The doors were misaligned causing a very high pitch wind noise to enter the cabin. I had a water leak coming in from the windshield, and the new 6 speed tranny was very rough and could not seem to find the correct gear. And, this was on a Escalade (their top of the line product). Obviously, quality control is non-existent on GM products. I think GM quality is getting worse...not better.

You can't base an opinion about an entire car line from one personal experience. I have an 04 4runner right now that has been the most troublesome vehicle I have ever owned. Just last week I was backing out of the driveway and the windshield cracked..:td: I just got a piece of junk lemon, I wouldn't try to pass that off as all Toyota vehicles being poor quality though.

That's one thing I notice here. So many people write other brands off because they had one that had some minor issues or they heard of someone that did secondhand. Yet, if their Toyota has a problem or someone elses does, then there's always an acceptable reason and it's no big deal.:confused:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
You can't base an opinion about an entire car line from one personal experience. I have an 04 4runner right now that has been the most troublesome vehicle I have ever owned. Just last week I was backing out of the driveway and the windshield cracked..:td: I just got a piece of junk lemon, I wouldn't try to pass that off as all Toyota vehicles being poor quality though.

That's one thing I notice here. So many people write other brands off because they had one that had some minor issues or they heard of someone that did secondhand. Yet, if their Toyota has a problem or someone elses does, then there's always an acceptable reason and it's no big deal.:confused:
I understand what you are saying, but after bad experiences with Ford and Dodge, I feel that I was screwed over, and I am not going to reward a company that screwed me over with more of my business.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Who's playing catch up? GM outsells Toyota in the truck market by a huge margin. I know it's hard for you guys to swallow, but GM has a real nice truck on their hands, just like Toyota. Early in this game, GM has dominated Toyota in the sales arena for new trucks. Most all of the reasoning here that GM makes a bad truck is severly biased and totally untrue. You will get the same thing towards Toyota if you go to a GM board.
Toyota is not trying to "catch up" with GM. Of course GM is outselling Toyota in the full size truck arena. Toyota is trying to increase sales to 200k units this year. Not hard for me to swallow.

You can't base an opinion about an entire car line from one personal experience.
You sure can, and many people do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, you can't base the quality of an entire car line on one vehicle. I think the GM trucks are great trucks. I've owned 6 of them in the past 10 years and I haven't had any major problems with any of them. As a matter of fact, I was anxiously awaiting the new Silverado, but was disappointed the new six speed wasn't readily available. As time passed, I got over the disappointment and went to test drive the new truck. I was impressed with the improvements, but one thing bothered me. The entire test drive the salesman kept comparing it to the new Toyota. Just as much pulling power, better engine, better four wheel drive, and of course he tried to drive home the better fuel mileage with the active fuel management (that point didn't have much merit with me considering my wifes 07 tahoe with AFM gets about 16 mpg, nowhere near the 21mpg rating). After leaving there, I decided to check out this Toyota I just heard so much about. In the back of my mind I thought, I can't do this. I can't buy a Toyota. I love Chevrolet trucks. My grandfather will never forgive me. After the test drive, there was no turning back. I was very impressed, and a few weeks later I purchased a salsa red, 5.7 DC, 4x4 and couldn't be happier. So I think GM should worry. I was one of those die hard chevy fans that would never have bought a toyota truck. Oh well, I guess things change.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts

BS it is. Base Engines:
Toyota: 4.0 V6 - 236HP
Chevy: 4.3 V6 - 195HP
Dodge: 3.7 V6 - 215HP
Ford: 4.2 V6 - 202HP
How about the lowest standard horsepower?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here's the translation

TRANSLATION: "Hey fellas, this new Tundra is going to put us out of business unless we can convince the public that Toyota has built a truck they don't need. Keep in mind that your profit margins come largely from those GM service bays at the back of your dealership. Keep in mind that our business model de-emphasizes R&D and quality, but we sure do have a lot of our trucks on the road. We don't want to get into a quality race, so let's just poo poo their truck and hope the idiots are listening."

All joking aside, the first time a GM salesman tries to tell a customer all that stuff about the Toyota commericial, he will lose a sale. Even if it were true, it's not something that "rings true" coming from anyone associated with GM.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Slice, you seem worried too. Calm down. GM will still sell a few trucks after the smoke has cleared. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like this part:

And why does Toyota have a 6 speed
transmission? To improve their fuel economy....which is still 2 mpg
less than ours.

4. And don't forget....their big V8 has one axle ratio -- a
4.3. Suck fuel much? Our trucks offer several axle options to
optimize towing and fuel economy. Bottom line: OUR TRUCK IS BETTER!
Spread the word.......we can all make a difference.
Hmmm... Yes your truck has a better EPA rating, but show me one 3rd-party test where it can get better than 12mpg. In real-world driving the Tundra is easier on fuel.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Good point, and well taken. However, I am/was also a member of an Escalade forum (just like TS) and you would be very surprised how many people are having problems with the new 07' models. Now, granted its a first year production vehicle, but its hard to swallow the mere fact that GM's top of the line vehicles are being built with such poor quality. I owned an 07' Escalade SUV and traded it in on an 07' Escalade EXT (Avalanche). Both vehicles had issues and that is why I got rid of them shortly after purchasing them. Is this apparent in all 07' Escalades...of course not. But, many are having issues with quality control probably due to being assembled in Mexico. Not to justify my purchase, but my Tundra feels way more solid and better built than both of my 07' Escalades....and they were $67K and $63K vehicles...I test drove the 07' Silverado and was not impressed. The interior may look nice, but its deceiving because it also has alot of plastic materials and had numerous rattles on my test drive. Plus, the exterior is still too boxy and "old" looking. Finally, it worries me that a company is to cheap to put a 6speed tranny in their trucks and is trying to compete with a 4 speed auto. Come on GM, wake up and smell the coffee.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hmmm... Yes your truck has a better EPA rating, but show me one 3rd-party test where it can get better than 12mpg. In real-world driving the Tundra is easier on fuel.
My Chevy that I traded got better mileage without a doubt. So far the mileage is my only real dissapointment with my Tundra. Sure there are few things I liked better in the GM camp but the big thing I miss at the moment is the mileage.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts