Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive like an old grandma and I'm still going through a set of tires about every 4k miles. I measured the distance between the wheels between the front and rear on both sides of the vehicle and the distance on the passenger side is over an inch longer. I dropped the rear end to see if the center pin was sheared and it wasn't. I put it back together and it still is off. The axle has no visible damage to it. I'm really at a loss for what the heck to do.

·
Registered
513 Posts
take it to an alignment shop. you have a major alignment issue.

·
Registered
530 Posts
4k miles??????? Thats a set a month for me!!!!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You must be like the dunkin guy. Time to make the donuts.

Have someone drive it while you are a passenger in another vehicle and see how it tracks. Maybe the frame is tweeked. could have come from the factory that way.
It is near impossible for you to measure precisely with a tape measure at home. You need a place that can do 4 wheel alignments.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine was wayyyyyyy out of alighnment from the factory,,,,,,,,,, I mean wayyyyy out

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I drive like an old grandma and I'm still going through a set of tires about every 4k miles. I measured the distance between the wheels between the front and rear on both sides of the vehicle and the distance on the passenger side is over an inch longer. I dropped the rear end to see if the center pin was sheared and it wasn't. I put it back together and it still is off. The axle has no visible damage to it. I'm really at a loss for what the heck to do.
Wow, is it still under warranty. I would bring it back to the dealer if it is and tell them what you've been going through. I would hope the dealer would man up and not only re-align the truck but throw in a fresh set of tires for your trouble.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hills, curves, wrong tire pressure, excessive speed into the curves, up hill, down hill, all play facotrs in tire wear

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
hills, curves, wrong tire pressure, excessive speed into the curves, up hill, down hill, all play facotrs in tire wear
Good excuses, but excuses none the less. Unless he is driving on some Pirelli Pzero Nero super high performance tires, there is no reason that any tire spec'd for the Tundra should wear out so quick.

·
Registered
422 Posts
haha - the oil lasts longer than the tires... I'd say you have a problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good excuses, but excuses none the less. Unless he is driving on some Pirelli Pzero Nero super high performance tires, there is no reason that any tire spec'd for the Tundra should wear out so quick.
you got something to add??

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
you got something to add??
Are you trying to justify 4000 miles for a set of tires??? I don't see how this is possible no matter what the driving conditions are.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Got any pics of the tires? That would tell how they were wearing. Any good tire person could tell you likely culprits whether vehicle, road or driver

I did some work at a police traing track where they did not get anywhere 4k out of theirs but you could easily tell they were abused.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Got any pics of the tires? That would tell how they were wearing. Any good tire person could tell you likely culprits whether vehicle, road or driver

I did some work at a police traing track where they did not get anywhere 4k out of theirs but you could easily tell they were abused.
I guess he started this thread and dissapeared. I would really like to know what kind of tires he has been running.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Come on...4k miles for a set of tires? Gotta be a catch. Is it all 4 or just one set or a single tire. What exactly is the problem? Is the tire(s) worn out evenly, like smooth. Is it just one side of the tire, just the middle? We need way more information than this and some pics.

Maybe you're just pulling our collective leg?

·
Registered
60 Posts
a lot more info is needed to answer this question, i think..he might consider 25% wear going threw tires??.who knows?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Are you trying to justify 4000 miles for a set of tires??? I don't see how this is possible no matter what the driving conditions are.
It's the typical tech line he's taking, blame it on the customer. Funny, corporate tries to do the same thing. I used to be a service adviser so it's easy to see through technicians BS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts