Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Going to buy....

3K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  JOCKTHEGLIDE 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new truck. By that I mean new to me. I have always been a Ford man but I just love the way the 2007 and on Tundra's look. I feel they are a much better looking truck than that of my 2007 F150 King Ranch. Now normally I don't go for looks over performance but I have heard the new Tundra's have really hit the mark on performance. Just to be clear, I don't want the Tundra Crewmax. The reason being the bed is just far too short. I want a Double Cab Tundra, could be an 07 or an 10. Depending on how good a deal I can get. I notice Toyota have many different packages. My question lies with the types of packages Toyota offer. Basic questions really.

1. What is the SR5 Package?

2. What is the Limited Package?

3. What is the TRD Package?

Thank you in advance.

#4 ·
SR5: Middle of the road, but more "basic options" than the other manufactures. Depending on the add-ons, it'll have steering-wheel controls, fog-lights, tow-package, cold-weather package...etc. Comes with power windows, locks, dual-climate control...etc.

LIMITED: Usually means heated-leather, upgraded (JBL) stereo w/steering wheel controls, fog-lights, digital-automatic climate control... NAV is an option with backup camera, home-link mirror, upgraded instrument panel... different grill...etc.

TRD Package: Skid plate, Rims/tires, shocks, sticker.

#5 ·
Yep, get the basic model with the seating you like and 4x4 and towing. The rest you will add anyways. Don't need power seats, sr5 pkg, and you save abit of money. You will see alot of trd/sr5 combos'. As the trd is just a few extra add ons to stiffen the ride, shocks, rims, skid plate.

No need to go beyond the sr5 unless you just got money to waste. They are nice options, but, dont need them. You can find some with sunroof, I kinda like that, even in the base model.

Stick to the base model with a few options you cann't add on yourself, 4x4 and seats you want, bench or with the armrest in the middle.

good luck and enjoy

chucky

#6 ·
Have you tried going to toyota.com and building a truck with everything you want?

#7 ·
Thank you all for the input. Right now I'm looking at a 2007 Tundra SR5 with Leather Seats, JBL Audio, Navigation with Backup Camera, Leer 700 Cover, Chrome on the Side Mirrors and Handles, Chrome Running Boards, PIAA Blue Fog lights, Light Bar on the back of the truck, and a few other extras as well. Has 48k miles and looks like a very clean truck. One owner vehicle.

#8 ·
Also should I be worried about Tundra's going into what they call "LIMP MODE"? Have heard that quite a bit searching around on here. I asked the dealership and they told me, it could simply be a faulty sensor of some kind. I acted like I owned a Tundra. Any insight would be great.

#9 ·
Also should I be worried about Tundra's going into what they call "LIMP MODE"? Have heard that quite a bit searching around on here. I asked the dealership and they told me, it could simply be a faulty sensor of some kind. I acted like I owned a Tundra. Any insight would be great.
To be honest, I would be very leery right now of buying a used Tundra until Toyota addresses the air pump problems (that is IF they do) or it becomes clearer as to how extensive this problem is. People are being stiffed with $4,000 repair bills out of warranty on a poorly designed system. The parts they are replacing are the same so it will keep happening.

"Danger Wil Robinson.. Danger"

#10 ·
To be honest, I would be very leery right now of buying a used Tundra until Toyota addresses the air pump problems (that is IF they do) or it becomes clearer as to how extensive this problem is. People are being stiffed with $4,000 repair bills out of warranty on a poorly designed system. The parts they are replacing are the same so it will keep happening.

I never thought I would think this way too but if I didn't already have a second gen tundra I would not buy one. There is no way I can afford $4000.

#12 ·
i got a 09 dc base model which includes 4x4, 5.7engine with tow package and foglights. i wished i got one with a sunroof though. as for the rest its as basic as it gets. its perfect for me since its used mostly for farm duty. so far its been good to me. oh and i drove my neighbor over the weekend in my truck and he is a die hard chevy fan and he was amazed how smooth and quiet the ride is. i felt kinda proud of my truck when he said that lol. im thinking about getting a cai and switch out a aftermarket muffler, just because i like a little rumbling. any pros or cons if i just switch the mufflers?

#13 ·

Sad but true. I was so un-easy with my 08, that I would not sell it to a friend. The Tundra only had 9000 miles. I traded the Tundra for a different brand. If you buy a 2nd gen Tundra, make sure you buy a extended warranty thay will cover the AIP'S. Good luck on your decision.:unsure3d:

#14 ·

I don't think the AIP issue has been as prevalent as people are suggesting.... however, my advice to you (the OP) --- buy a Tundra with less than 36,000 miles. Then, purchase a Platinum extended warranty. You can get one for around $1000 through a vendor on here...and you can make easy payments on it. It will cover you for up to 8 years/125000 miles (depending on what you need) and it WILL cover the AIP issue, if it arises. The Platinum warranty also covers all other major mechanical issues, and pretty much everything else besides "wear-and-tear" items. Here's the items it DOESN'T cover: ITEMS NOT COVERED
Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Trim, Handles, and Fabric; Filters; Fluids; Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Hinges; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly; Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents; Lamps (Back-up, Fog Light, Side Marker, and Turn Signal Light Assemblies); Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber component)

Link to warranty page: Toyota Financial Services

#15 ·
I don't think the AIP issue has been as prevalent as people are suggesting.... however, my advice to you (the OP) --- buy a Tundra with less than 36,000 miles. Then, purchase a Platinum extended warranty. You can get one for around $1000 through a vendor on here...and you can make easy payments on it. It will cover you for up to 8 years/125000 miles (depending on what you need) and it WILL cover the AIP issue, if it arises. The Platinum warranty also covers all other major mechanical issues, and pretty much everything else besides "wear-and-tear" items. Here's the items it DOESN'T cover: ITEMS NOT COVERED
Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Trim, Handles, and Fabric; Filters; Fluids; Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Hinges; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly; Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents; Lamps (Back-up, Fog Light, Side Marker, and Turn Signal Light Assemblies); Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber component)

Link to warranty page: Toyota Financial Services
I thought that I read in the very long AIP thread that it wasn't covered under warranty because it was breaking due to water intrusion or something like that?? I do plan to buy the platinum warranty either way as I am under 3/36k, and this would be good news. Thanks popo

#16 ·
Forgot to mention that the Platinum warranty also has a $ZERO deductible, covers towing/roadside-asst, and even hotel/food if you're a certain number of miles away from home. Some guys on here will say a warranty isn't worth the cost, but personally I'd much rather spend the minor amount up front & be covered, than have a potentially larger bill later if/when something goes wrong.

Also, something to think about... A lot of guys on here will say to avoid the first model year of anything, including the '07 Tundra. I don't know if that holds any truth with our trucks, but if you feel that way too, focus on an '08 & up.

#17 ·
This page is pretty interesting... Toyota Financial Services comparing the Platinum/Gold/Powertrain-only warranties. The Platinum warranty covers a bunch of different "pumps" under the engine tab. I don't see any possible way that a dealership could get out of paying for the AIP if you have the Platinum warranty.

#19 ·
looking used though you said, "NEW"? if thats the case I say go for whatever you want in the used market then.
Thank you all for the input. Right now I'm looking at a 2007 Tundra SR5 with Leather Seats, JBL Audio, Navigation with Backup Camera, Leer 700 Cover, Chrome on the Side Mirrors and Handles, Chrome Running Boards, PIAA Blue Fog lights, Light Bar on the back of the truck, and a few other extras as well. Has 48k miles and looks like a very clean truck. One owner vehicle.

#22 ·
Hey Jock... here's a link to their "used warranty", which you can also buy Platinum. I'm not sure what the requirements are, so you'd have to call, but there's a number at the bottom of the page to call...
Toyota Financial Services

#23 ·
Just a quick update. I went to go and test drive the vehicle and really liked it. Half way through the test drive something went dramatically wrong. The engine seemed to lose all of its power and I could hear the engine revving but there was hardly any power going to the wheels. The salesman then stated something is wrong, which did not take me too long to figure that out as I was driving the Tundra. With all what I have been reading about the air induction pump I said this could be the problem. Made it back to the dealership doing about 30 MPH, don't know how we made it but we did. Low and behold they run a diagnostic on the vehicle and it turns out to be Bank 2 Air Induction Pump had gone faulty. They said they would have no problem replacing this part. I told them they might as well change the valves as well, but they said the valves were ok and only Bank 2 Air Induction Pump was the culprit. Don't know much about it, but as long as they fix it I will be a happy camper. Could someone let me know if Bank 2 Air Induction Pump could be the only thing that has gone faulty? I would imagine the valves would have gone faulty but they said thats not the case. Thanks a bunch in advance and when I get the truck I will be sure to post pictures.

#24 ·
Just a quick update. I went to go and test drive the vehicle and really liked it. Half way through the test drive something went dramatically wrong. The engine seemed to lose all of its power and I could hear the engine revving but there was hardly any power going to the wheels. The salesman then stated something is wrong, which did not take me too long to figure that out as I was driving the Tundra. With all what I have been reading about the air induction pump I said this could be the problem. Made it back to the dealership doing about 30 MPH, don't know how we made it but we did. Low and behold they run a diagnostic on the vehicle and it turns out to be Bank 2 Air Induction Pump had gone faulty. They said they would have no problem replacing this part. I told them they might as well change the valves as well, but they said the valves were ok and only Bank 2 Air Induction Pump was the culprit. Don't know much about it, but as long as they fix it I will be a happy camper. Could someone let me know if Bank 2 Air Induction Pump could be the only thing that has gone faulty? I would imagine the valves would have gone faulty but they said thats not the case. Thanks a bunch in advance and when I get the truck I will be sure to post pictures.

hmmmm. Part of me wants to call BS, given the convenient timing of the problem. But, there is always the chance that you werein an 07 that someone dumped on the dealer after getting the problem. They may have reset the codes and traded it in. Hell, the old owner coulda reset them in the dealer parking lot!

Seeing as the valves are often the problem, and they are not replacing them, I really would find another. Hell, who knows if they will even replace the pumps. 48k= 'As Seen'. No warranty, no comeback.

#25 ·
Well they did in fact replace the induction pump. Turns out the valve on bank 2 was bad as well and they are going to replace that. They are waiting for the part to come in. They said it was only Bank 2's valve that was bad. I told them they might as well replace both of the valves since the valves are cheap. The hefty price is with the induction pump itself.

#26 ·
If you don't need the bigger truck, find you 2006 Gen 1. Basically all the kinks were ironed out just in time for them to come out with Gen 2.

I'd read the long AIP thread in Gen 2. They have not sorted that out as of yet and if it does hit you it can be costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.