Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck for 9 years and have always used original Toyota filters.

I'm past due for an oil change and don't have time to drive 40 miles to a dealership for a new filter.

There is an O'Reileys and an Autozone in my town. What would be a good Aftermarket Filter since I'm not able to get a Toyota brand?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I always used Mobile 1 filters until I got my 08...now I'm using Purolater because M1 doesn't make a filter for the 5.7 yet.

·
7,925 Posts
I've had my truck for 9 years and have always used original Toyota filters.

I'm past due for an oil change and don't have time to drive 40 miles to a dealership for a new filter.

There is an O'Reileys and an Autozone in my town. What would be a good Aftermarket Filter since I'm not able to get a Toyota brand?
Depends on price and available cash. I try and run Wixx (from O'Rielly) which is excellent. Mobile One and K&N are excellent as well but usually a little more pricey. Wixx is a great filter. Never EVER EVER put a Fram oil filter near your truck let alone on it. Fram is trash.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've used PureOne as long as I've had my truck. Affordable and the coating used for grip helps when you have your hands nice and oily.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Purolator.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To this guy, it seems like some Purolator and WIX oil filters are pretty good. The Mobil 1 isn't bad if you want to blow extra money for bragging rights. Stay away from any Fram made product and there are a few brands.

Engine Oil Filters

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I've used purolator, wix, toyota and baldwin filters on my truck. I've stayed with the baldwin extra capacity filters this time around. As others have said don't go near a fram filter. They have cardboard ends and are pure trash. I would also add that acdelco makes a fine filter as well.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters
My Tundra is worth every penny i spend on a quality filter and you can buy their marketing or buy another brand, i feel Mobil has had time to get things done properly!
Synthetic fibers with synthetic oil seems like a win-win as far as keeping the oil cleaner?
My oil and filter never make it past 5K anyway so the engine should look brand new minus the crappy E10 sludge deposits on the upper end! my bad E20 deposits!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Purolator PureOne filter.

Get them cheap(er) from Amazon.com.

On the topic, though, it turns out the Toyota 'cartridges' for the 5.7 engines are quite a bit cheaper than the aftermarket (Purolator, etc.) offerings.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I've been running this and I'm very happy with it:

MicroGreen Oil-Bypass Canister Filter

It's a drop-in screw-on replacement for the factory filter, and contains a small integrated bypass filter for extra filtration. I used to own a diesel Jeep Liberty. If you know anything about diesels, you know that the accumulated soot turns used motor oil into black ink. Well, after switching to the MicroGreen, the used oil looked like normal used motor oil from a gasser! That made me a believer. I now run them on my Tundra too, with doubled oil-change intervals (the filter still gets replaced).

The company is very responsive to questions or concerns. Don't hesitate to contact them if you'd like to know more.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use the Supertech filters from Walmart. Haven't checked lately, but a few years ago they performed really well according to BITOG. Last month I got a deal on a Mobil1 filter and the Supertech appears to be the same filter (made by Champion I believe). Everything was the same from the case machining, what I could see of the insides, to the printing on the filter showing the manufacturing run. I took some pictures I can post later.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Lots of opinions but no facts here - basically the same for any oil thread!
2UZ engines have a history of being incredibly easy on oil. Buy a quality filter (Wix/Purloator) and don't worry about it for 5000 miles. I run this filters for 7k-8k during my extended drain fills w/synthetics and I've never had a problem in 172k.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
M1-301 Mobil 1 full size filter. Got 3 last time I was in Walmart for $8.97 each.
I had seen those at another place for way more $$$ and i called Mobil Oil filter # and they said it was exact same filter as the M1-102, same in every aspect except capacity. How many qts do you use to get it to the top Full line on dipstick? i use 7 exactly on my truck with the M1-102. I think i will look around at your source and see what they have!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had seen those at another place for way more $$$ and i called Mobil Oil filter # and they said it was exact same filter as the M1-102, same in every aspect except capacity. How many qts do you use to get it to the top Full line on dipstick? i use 7 exactly on my truck with the M1-102. I think i will look around at your source and see what they have!
7qts fills it up with an M1-301. I think stock is listed at 6.6 qts with an OEM size filter? I wondered if the oil pressure gauge would act differently with the larger filter but the only change I've seen is the extra oil the system holds. I use 10,000 miles as my oil change interval so I like the idea of the extra capacity of an already extended use filter.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Lots of opinions but no facts here - basically the same for any oil thread!
2UZ engines have a history of being incredibly easy on oil. Buy a quality filter (Wix/Purloator) and don't worry about it for 5000 miles. I run this filters for 7k-8k during my extended drain fills w/synthetics and I've never had a problem in 172k.
What type "facts" were you looking for? The original question was asking for opinions and preferences.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I bought a case of the OEM/Toyota filters from a vendor on here, worked out to a little over $3 each-shipped, it is a good deal if you know you are going to be doing oil changes every 5,000 miles like I do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts