Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about getting a truck for awhile now. I was looking at the Ford / Chevy / Dodge diesels. The Ford was OK friends that owned them were mixed some hated it and some loved it. The Chevy was the same but more people liked the duramax better. And everyone loved the Cummings motor but everyone hated the horrible Dodge interior myself included.

While I was looking at the other trucks I decided to look at the Tundra, I wanted a diesel so, I just was looking with no intention of buying. It’s my personal policy to never buy new because of how much money you loose.

The truck was going to be a 3rd vehicle only driven once a week or so I had no intention of selling my WRX. That is, until a coworker asked if he could buy it. Then I got to thinking, it I sell the car I could get a newer truck and still have the same payment I wanted.

I put an ad on Craigslist for the WRX and 8 hours later it was sold. Went looking at the Chevy dealer and they had a 06’ duramax with everything I wanted but it was still was in the inspection / detail stages and they could not give me a price. So I went to the Toyota dealer instead.

My wife liked the tundra best out of all the other trucks and I agreed it had the best exterior and interior out of all of them. (07+ don’t like the 1st gen) So I told the dealer what I wanted, SR5, 5.7, TRD, Tow. And they had one on the lot; well it was in the back.
Went and looked at it liked the out side (Blue) opened it up and *GAG* Tan interior!!! Could not get over how hideous it was.

So we looked over the lot some more and the only truck that had everything I wanted was a 4.7. Thought about what I plan on towing and if I needed the 5.7 and decided it would work. I need a vehicle to get to work the next day so I coulden’t wait. Worked out a deal got them down to invoice, thought about it some more, couldn’t make the full decision. I didn’t want to hurt the salesman’s feelbads if I didn’t buy. He gave away another customer he was working with to another guy and that customer bought a vehicle. So I put the decision into the salesman’s hands. I said 2 out of 3 heads or tails… needless to say he guessed heads twice and that’s what landed… here are some Pic’s

Sold the WRX

Bought the Tundra

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Nice looking truck. Love the color.:tu:

• Sold your car then went to see what was on the lots to buy that day?
  • Like fast cars but bought a 4.7?
  • Didn't want make the salesman feel bad?
  • Flipped a coin to see if you would buy?
I'd say that's pretty unusual.:confused:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

• I went the day after I sold.
  • I wanted a decent interior/4x4/SR5/TRD more than 5.7 + 1st year with new motor, the 4.7 is proven.
  • You would have to see him to understand, we did the coin flip outside and everyone inside the dealership was looking outside to figure out what was going on with all the yelling and cheerin'
  • It's a first for me, I like the idea, my wife did rock paper scisors in the truck but she win everytime so we went with the coin toss.
Nice looking truck. Love the color.:tu:

• Sold your car then went to see what was on the lots to buy that day?
  • Like fast cars but bought a 4.7?
  • Didn't want make the salesman feel bad?
  • Flipped a coin to see if you would buy?
I'd say that's pretty unusual.:confused:

·
Registered
848 Posts
nice truck and a awesome looking skoobie

if you are not going to be towing the 4.7 is fine

i too got away from the import scene but i did because of thieves ... i totally built a car and it got stolen yes i had insurance and yes they caught the guys the next day but it was too late for my car it was chopped up in a million pieces

good luck with your new toyota :tu:

here is what my car looked like when i got it back :td:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I to traded in a fast car for my new Tundra. I traded in a mustang cobra convertable and I have no regrets what so ever!! Enjoy you new Tundar brother, I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I love mine:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
i traded my 06 WRX STI for a slate SR5 5.7 4x4. missed the STI but didnt regret it. are you sure that's a 4.7? looks like a 4.0 V6 to me unless you took off the i-force embelem.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that a B16 or B18, I had a GSR before I got the WRX.

nice truck and a awesome looking skoobie

if you are not going to be towing the 4.7 is fine

i too got away from the import scene but i did because of thieves ... i totally built a car and it got stolen yes i had insurance and yes they caught the guys the next day but it was too late for my car it was chopped up in a million pieces

good luck with your new toyota :tu:

here is what my car looked like when i got it back :td:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They don't put the V6 in the 4 door trucks, as far as I know. I took off the badge. Not sure if i want to take of the SR5 yet or the Toyota on the back...

i traded my 06 WRX STI for a slate SR5 5.7 4x4. missed the STI but didnt regret it. are you sure that's a 4.7? looks like a 4.0 V6 to me unless you took off the i-force embelem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That's a nice looking truck. I like it without the badge. I would immediately take off the Tundra and TRD emblem, and the rear ones as well. That truck would look so clean and slick debadged. As if it doesn't get enough stares as it is, people would be knocking themselves in the head trying to figure out what it is.

As for the 4.7, you better pop the hood just to make sure there's 8 plugs in there. Buying a 30k plus truck by flipping a coin isn't the best way to go about it, but whatever floats your boat. ;) So you did get it for invoice?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the wife is fighting me on taking the badges off, she likes them on there.

I's a 4.7 I looked, and yes I got it for invoice, It's an SR5 DC with option package J. I bought on the last day of the qtr and month so they were eager and it was the end of the day.

That's a nice looking truck. I like it without the badge. I would immediately take off the Tundra and TRD emblem, and the rear ones as well. That truck would look so clean and slick debadged. As if it doesn't get enough stares as it is, people would be knocking themselves in the head trying to figure out what it is.

As for the 4.7, you better pop the hood just to make sure there's 8 plugs in there. Buying a 30k plus truck by flipping a coin isn't the best way to go about it, but whatever floats your boat. ;) So you did get it for invoice?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice truck, as for how you purchased, I love it. Buying any new vehicle is a coin flip (lemon or not).
One last thing, the 4.7 is a proven engine, but the 4.7 in your truck is the all new aluminum version.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts