Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2004 sr5 with around 30k on odometer.

It has no rust & looks to have been undercoated with something, which is the main selling point for me.

What should I look out for?
Is 16k too much to offer?

·
Registered
395 Posts
It is always subjective when it comes to price. What is it worth to you? An 04 SR5 with only 30K is rare. That is less than 2000 miles a year??? Check drivers seat for wear on the edge. Are there maintenance records with the truck? 30k might still be on original tires, check for cracks and mfg date. If you like what you see and hear pay what you are comfortable with considering what you need to spend immediately to make it safe (tires). Maintenance records are important to validate the indicated low mileage. It's a sellers market right now but offer what you are comfortable with. I would also run the VIN and see if the recalls have been completed. Good luck... Chap

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I will be driving down to check it out this weekend. It is currently driven daily, & the tires look good. From the photos i looked at, it appears that it has been well cared for. Should i be worried about belts or seals? Do they hold up over that much time?

I have not yet found out if those things have been replaced.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
In order my points of interest would be

1) frame inspection. Don't be fooled by coatings, they can hide a lot. Look at the frame all over, especially where mud would fling while driving. Poke it with a screw driver. See if its sound. Look for clumpy areas. If its all smooth and sound, good. If anything stands out, walk.

2) if frame is good, ask about timing belt and water pump job. Even though it is recommended at 90k miles, a truck old enough to vote should have had it done. If not, thats roughly a $1200 critical maintenance item. Serpentine belt goes with it but is easier to do.

3) check all fluids. Look for debris in the reservoirs. Check under the radiator cap for foam or "milkshake" residue. Examine the fluids, sniff them for burning smells, pretend to lick them if you want to mess with the seller (I do that every time).

4) do a normal observation of the general condition. The frame and timing belt are the big concerns, outside of that its pretty much wear and tear.

Is $16k too much? I'm in California so the answer is no. Depending on where you are, if its access cab or double cab, and 4x4 vs 2wd, look for comparables with low mileage and see.

As far as being a good daily driver goes, if you're comfortable paying for 13-17 mpg on a daily and are okay driving a truck, these make excellent daily drivers. I daily drove mine for 6 years and it was absolutely trouble free. I ran about 18k miles per year during that time.

Good luck, if you can take some pics of it and post here.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
It would be good to know where the truck is located.
In rust belt states I agree that undercoat may hide problems.

Timing belts and hoses are a tough call for me.
I had my timing belt changed on my 1996 Acura 2 years ago and it looked great.
I still don't have 100k miles on it.

I'm not considering changing the timing belt or the hoses on my 05 Tundra, but I did recently change the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here you are guys. I think i will go for it. If I don't, someone else will..
I got a carfax report & the only real repairs were alternator replacement & right airbag assembly replacement right around 10k miles. Other than that, oil changes and tire rotations at regular intervals. Oh, & recent muffler/exhaust replacement.

First owner averaged around 850 miles annually. 2nd owner drove it a lot more in the past few years. 2nd owner (seller) is a toyota tech at a dealership.

It is a 4.7 4x4.

I am in the rust belt, which is why I'm so surprised to
Find something like this..
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Just one more nitpick, but I'd also check dropping the spare tire to make sure it's secure and isn't going to fall off.
Some posters have had those issues in rust areas.

All-in-all, it sounds like a nice truck. Did you say whether it's 4 wheel drive or not?
If it is, make sure it works properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just one more nitpick, but I'd also check dropping the spare tire to make sure it's secure and isn't going to fall off.
Some posters have had those issues in rust areas.

All-in-all, it sounds like a nice truck. Did you say whether it's 4 wheel drive or not?
If it is, make sure it works properly.
It is the 4 wheel drive version. Thank you buddy i will keep the spare tire area in mind!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In order my points of interest would be

1) frame inspection. Don't be fooled by coatings, they can hide a lot. Look at the frame all over, especially where mud would fling while driving. Poke it with a screw driver. See if its sound. Look for clumpy areas. If its all smooth and sound, good. If anything stands out, walk.

2) if frame is good, ask about timing belt and water pump job. Even though it is recommended at 90k miles, a truck old enough to vote should have had it done. If not, thats roughly a $1200 critical maintenance item. Serpentine belt goes with it but is easier to do.

3) check all fluids. Look for debris in the reservoirs. Check under the radiator cap for foam or "milkshake" residue. Examine the fluids, sniff them for burning smells, pretend to lick them if you want to mess with the seller (I do that every time).

4) do a normal observation of the general condition. The frame and timing belt are the big concerns, outside of that its pretty much wear and tear.

Is $16k too much? I'm in California so the answer is no. Depending on where you are, if its access cab or double cab, and 4x4 vs 2wd, look for comparables with low mileage and see.

As far as being a good daily driver goes, if you're comfortable paying for 13-17 mpg on a daily and are okay driving a truck, these make excellent daily drivers. I daily drove mine for 6 years and it was absolutely trouble free. I ran about 18k miles per year during that time.

Good luck, if you can take some pics of it and post here.
I appreciate the thorough response sir.
When i talked to my mechanic, he also told me to ask about the timing belt & water pump job. Although, I did not tell them about the low mileage.

I'll keep all of this in mind, most of it is what i was thinking to ask the seller about myself.

It's a 4x4 access cab, which go for about 8-12k with 100k+ in ok condition, in my area. And most of them have a decent coating of surface rust underneath & on wheel wells..

It's my first purchase of a vehicle that isn't a rust bucket, & I've always wanted something i can give some preventative maintenance/give a good rust prevention routine, & keep in good shape. I've never spent this much on a vehicle but i really love these trucks & would love to give it a good life, even if i spend twice as much at the pump!

I'll make sure to lick some coolant off the cap to get a good discount. Lol.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I live in the salt belt and I have never had a rusty vehicle for the last 25 years. Rustproofing is not rocket science and its an easy once a year maintenance thing to do. Hell I dont even wash my cars more than a few times a year, and thats only in the summer time. My black vehicles are pure white with salt all winter long, dont care.
Coat the crap out of it with a good rustproofing spray and never worry about it again, simple as that.

Reactions: moop_fogo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in the salt belt and I have never had a rusty vehicle for the last 25 years. Rustproofing is not rocket science and its an easy once a year maintenance thing to do. Hell I dont even wash my cars more than a few times a year, and thats only in the summer time. My black vehicles are pure white with salt all winter long, dont care.
Coat the crap out of it with a good rustproofing spray and never worry about it again, simple as that.
I agree. It's amazing how many vehicles in my area of northern new england are obviously NOT undercoated. It's a pretty sad sight.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 2001 Black SR5 4.7 Tundra that I bought new in 2001. I've lifted it and done tons of stuff to it over the years, but it is, without a doubt, THE BEST vehicle I've ever had for reliability and just never having problems. I have a 1967 Corvette for that. :) I've done wheel bearings, new seats, U-joints, carrier bearings, lots of suspension stuff, timing belt, etc. It shows 181,000 miles but it's had 315/70/17 tires on it for most of its life, so it has probably over 200K. I will never sell this truck as it is so reliable and still looks great after 21 years of daily driving. I don't think that you can go wrong with a Tundra.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts