Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my '09 Tundra and intend on keeping it for a long while so I would like to take great care of it. I've noticed that Toyota's White Paint oxidizes quickly down where I live (I realized this after looking at a good number of Pre-owned '03-'04 4Runners for my wife).

My main question has to do with the Gulf States Toyota "Protection Package". They apparently put some protective coating on the paint which I'm quite skeptical of and don't see it being better than most of the quality products which are available. Am I correct in my thinking?

My other question is: what would be a good initial paint care procedure to use on my new Tundra? Do I need to remove this coating that GST applied or can I just go over the top of it? I'm pretty familiar with Mequiar's products and my wax of choice lately has been their NXT wax. I also have their clay bar kit so I was thinking of just washing, claying , and then throwing a coat of wax on. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
- ? -
1,305 Posts
Good to see a member from corpus. Welcome!

well to be quite honest it just depends on how you use your truck and how you take care off it. If you frequently wash your truck and like to keep it nice and pretty then i wouldnt worry about puttin anything on it and the meguiars products would be just fine. But if you take your truck offroads say down to the beach or runnin in mud (frequently) then you might want to get somethin'. I would go with ziebart and some sort of paint sealant and undercarriage protection. I have had my truck exactly one year and it has rust on the underside of the front bumper and my muffler and tailpipe look pretty bad too. I slapped some new chrome wheels on it right after i got it and my wheels are pitted and have rust spots. But i use my truck as a truck. Its my daily driver and weekend warrior. if ya like we can meet up and shoot the breeze and show you whats goin on with my truck. 08' crewmax superwhite:D

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Dont go with the Toyota supplied package, it's smoke and mirrors.

As far as your paint, clay, polish and throw on a coat of your favorite wax or sealant. Washing it weekly or offroading will not make a difference, just treat it like you would want your truck to treat you :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help. I've been doing a lot of reading on here (and other forums as well) and Duragloss products just keep coming up time and time again. I think that I will give them a shot but I can't break the bank and also I run the risk of my wife asking why I have a car care box full of other products that won't work just as well. So will this work okay?:

Use my existing Megs Gold Class wash, followed by my existing Megs Clay bar Kit. Then use some Duragloss #105 and then use the #951 following subsequent washes up until the time that need to eventually reapply the #105. It's my understanding that this might be a good process so long as the there aren't any swirls, etc. in the paint?

I can't wait until I've got the funds (or until my wife has lifted the restriction on my funds due to the new truck purchase, hehe) to get a PC 7424 as I'm sure that will speed up the process. :)

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You can sneak a PC in under her radar later down the road. For what youre wanting to do right now.... by hand is just fine.

Meg. Gold Class is a great shampoo, their clay is great too. You'll love DG 105, it goes on and off very easily and should give you a few months of solid beading protection in TX.

Youre on the right track..... good luck Wes, and congrats on the new truck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I've been doing some more reading and some people mention throwing some Collinite No. 845 into the mix. It would go: wash, clay, DG 105, then the Collinite 845 on top. Would this step be necessary or even improve upon the DG 105 alone?

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Yeah you can do that, just wait 4-12 hours between the 105 and 845. It should add some extra depth and that combo should have EXTREME durability.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hey Brandon and Jumbo Jet....

What do you guys use to clean or protect the leather seats? I just replaced the cloth seats with aftermarket leather seats.... dang it's hot on hot days!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Simple OTC stuff- Woolite/water at a 10:1 dilution to clean. Meguiars #40 or Lexol to protect.

Online only product- Gloss it Leather Cleaner and Gloss it Leather Conditioner. I have been using the crap out of this stuff lately, mainly because of the smell. Somehow they have nailed exactly how new leather smells.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you can do that, just wait 4-12 hours between the 105 and 845. It should add some extra depth and that combo should have EXTREME durability.
Will the Collinite 845 step add much more depth to my white paint? I know it would probably look noticeably different on a darker color but wasn't sure if I would see the results on Super White. I'm mainly looking for great protection but looks are important to me also.

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
845 is a good looking wax, but #105 will look simply perfect on white. If you are looking for another carnuba option for your white, then check out Pinnacle Signature II

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
845 is a good looking wax, but #105 will look simply perfect on white. If you are looking for another carnuba option for your white, then check out Pinnacle Signature II
Thanks for the fast reply! I'll just stick with my original plan outlined in Post #4. One more quick question: is the #105 okay for use on my plastic headlights and taillights? I like my lights to be crystal clear! Looks like I'm off to Duragloss.com to place an order!

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Yeah it's cool on almost anything.

Order it from Autogeek, faster shipping and you can pick up anything else you need.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Will the Collinite 845 step add much more depth to my white paint?
Wes,

Proper prep work is where you are going to get your depth from. If you start with a clay, polish and sealant..... then yes, #845 will help enhance your depth. Prep work is the most important step, if thats done properly then #845 will help tremendously with depth and wetness.... even on white.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since you are going for the 105, which is a very good sealant BTW, I would also recommend the Duragloss #601 as well. It is designed to be used with the 105. It is also quite inexpensive, and bumps up the durability a little more.

Post some pics when you get the truck done. Nothing like seeing a nicely detailed Tundra!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wes,

Proper prep work is where you are going to get your depth from. If you start with a clay, polish and sealant..... then yes, #845 will help enhance your depth. Prep work is the most important step, if thats done properly then #845 will help tremendously with depth and wetness.... even on white.
Is the DG 951 Aquawax okay to use over the #845 for ordinary maintenance? The reason I ask is because I have already ordered the DG 951 (in addition to the 105). I'm sure that I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be but I just want to make sure before putting a bunch of time into it.

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
You can put a spray sealant or wax over almost anything. I use 951 over 845, 105, Souveran, Klasse etc. It's really the star of Duragloss's line.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts