Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another tire thread, but has anybody put Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's on their DC? I couldn't really find anything by searching. I have an 05 DC Limited TRD and I'm getting new tires tomorrow and would like some opinions on them. Also thinking about going from the stock 265/70/16's up to the 265/75/16's. All the negative treadwear posts on the REVO's have me a little leary, but those seem to be a real contender as well. I have the stock BFG's Rugged Trails now and I'm sick of the hydroplaning!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Your didn't search very hard. I started a thread about the Triple treads. The silent armor is in a few of GY tires. I liked my Triple treads, but to be honest I found them a bit heavy. Lost some power, and brakeing. Very smoth ride, and very nice handeling. Don't buy the triple treads expecting any snow traction.

Anfter running both the triple treads and the Michilen LTX MS I'd go back to the Michilens.

Oh, and deffinetly go with the 265 75 16's!! No problem with fit, and the truck looks better with them on.

Here are a few pictures with the 265 75 16 with Triple treads, LTX, and BFG's too. All three are 265 75 16's The BFG's rode rough.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canada Jeff, thanks for the information. I refined my search a bit and sure enough I came across a few threads on the Silent Armor. Don't know what the heck I was searching on yesterday! Thanks again for the information. I went ahead and ordered the Wrangler Silent Armors (265/75/16) from Americas Tire and will be putting them on probably tomorrow. Thanks for the picture! Nice to have a visual on the truck with the 75's.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I see now your in California right? No worry for snow there:) . You'll like the tires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am in Southern California. Definitely no snow where I am! A lot of sand if I head 3 miles to the beach though! :cool: I figure anything other that the BFG Rugged Trails that came on the truck would be an improvement. When it rains and the road is slick from all the oil for the first day or so of the rain, it's like the ice follies in my Tundra. I won't even mention the California drivers at the first sign of a rain drop that I need to avoid. :) I want a meatier tire that can handle the rain and give a quieter ride and based on the survey results from tirerack.com, the Silent Armors are a good fit. We'll see!

Thanks again! :ts:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update... I got the Silent Armors installed yesterday and even though I only have about 20 miles on them, I gotta say, they are a big improvement over my crappy ol' BFG Rugged Trails. The ride is a lot smoother and quieter (especially on the highway). I don't get the tire squeel when I take certain corners that used to make my BFG's squeel, but now that I think about it, EVERY corner used to make my BFG's squeel! :eek: Plus the bigger 265/75/16's look great on the truck! I'll post more feedback when we get some rain here in Southern California which was a major factor in me getting new tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put the Wrangler Silent Armor's on a year and a half ago, I love them, I went with the same size as you did. They are a good tire for our trucks. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I just need to pay attention to my speed. Rumor has it I'm going about 3mph faster than what my speedo says! :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference after the tires. Anytime I get radared, its the actual speed that my truck says. Might be the speedometer if your having problems, get radared intentionally and you'll know then.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Revos on my '05DC and the Goodyears on my 4Runner. Revos have nearly 60K on them and are doing fine. The Goodyears are around 35K and doing great as well. Both are smooth and quiet. Naturally the Goodyears are more of a street tread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also HAD Silent Armor's on my 03. I found them good on the hwy and off road too. They handled snow well. I found them very heavy and they had a high rolling resistance which hurt gas mileage. They had really beefy sidewalls. One comment that I would add is they were useless for traction in really cold -30 weather. I think it was their rubber compound is quite hard for long life. I lost control when I hit some black ice just before Christmas and totaled my 03 that's why the had is in capital letters. I have nothing bad to say about the truck, looking at a 07 now to replace it with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once I have some miles on them, I will post my opinions on them. I've only gone about 40 miles on them so far. Right now, I have nothing to say about them other than they look good, ride nice and are quiet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just installed the Wrangler SilentArmor tires in 285/70-17 and so far I love them. I was running the stock Dunlop street tires that came on my Limited 4WD (non-TRD) and these are a HUGE improvement in both looks and stabilility/handling.

I went with the SilentArmors over BFG At/KO or Revo tires for the following reasons:

Against Revos:
1. Revos are P-Metric tires not Light Truck rated. For a 4wd DC that does duty hauling and towing, this was a margin of safety I didn't want to give up

2. I've heard mixed reviews on the Revos regarding treadwear

Against BFG's:
1. I've run probably 5 or 6 pairs of BFGs on my 4WD trucks and Jeeps over the years, and I have always found them to be a great tire, except they get NOISY after about 15,000 miles or so. Also, the sidewalls are pretty flexy (which is good for airing them down and running on sand or rocks). My DC is never used for rock crawling or other "real" 4x4 activities and is more of a daily driver, so the extra capabilities of the BFGs weren't worth the (slightly) higher cost and noisier ride.

My initial impression (after about 700 miles) of the SilentArmor vs. my stock Dunlops is that they are a bit noisier at "around town" speeds (up to about 50 MPH) but once on the highway the difference is noise is imperceptible, even with the windows open. They have a very nice aggressive look without being overly blocky (and therefore noisy). The reviews on TireRack.com are also really good.

In fairness, I also have installed Bilstein 5100's along with a Deaver AAL in the rear so any comments regarding the ride will likely be affected by this as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took my truck to one of the normal spots that has running water in the street that would normally get me to fishtail when making a turn with my BFG's and now I get nothing. No squeal, spinning or fishtailing. The tire just sticks to the road as it should. This is a good! So far I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The tires recommended to me be my local tire shop were the Firestone Destination A/T and from what I've read they seem to be really good tires. Does anyone have experience with these??

I'm still riding on my stock Bridgestone’s :( waiting for that commission to come in.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
The tires recommended to me be my local tire shop were the Firestone Destination A/T and from what I've read they seem to be really good tires. Does anyone have experience with these??

I'm still riding on my stock Bridgestone’s :( waiting for that commission to come in.
I'm still looking at tires. It's down to Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors & Firestone Destination ATs. I would like to read some more comments on the F-Stones. I've had F-Stone Indy 500's on a sport truck & loved them. Not an off road tire, though. Had G-Year Wrangler RT/Ss & hated them. I already read Tire Rack. More opinions needed. I only have 18,000 on my OEM B-Stone HTs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts