Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a gooseneck hitch installed on their new Tundra? I have a double-cab with a standard bed on it and a few shops around town that I've been to don't have hitches that are compatible with the Tundras. I'm coming out of a 3/4 ton Chevy and I had a "hide-a-hitch" in the bed and loved it. If anyone knows of any companies with hitches that work on the new Tundras I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks.

p.s. I'm new to the forum, but there seems to be some great discussions on here. Thanks for all the good info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Please allow me to copy a communication I had with B&W, The makers of the Turnover Ball Goose Neck Hitch

On Feb, 20, 2007 I asked:

Greetings,

I currently have a B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch in my 2006 Toyota Tundra. It is working great. Thank you.

I am considering updating to the larger capacity 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Standard bed (6.5’) (Model 8242). I can not do this until you make a Turnover Ball Gooseneck hitch available.

What are your plans and schedule?

Thanks
One hour and 25 minutes later I got this reply:

We are pleased to hear of your interest in B&W trailer hitches for your towing needs. We have had the opportunity to measure and closely examine the new Toyota Tundra. Our engineering design team has begun the early design and fitting stages on a hitch for the new Tundra. Toyota has made some rather drastic changes to the trucks under bed and suspension systems that are really making it difficult for us to come up with the perfect hitch that can function as all other B&W Trailer Hitches and still be just as easy to install. We are still working on producing the hitch for the Tundra but we have no time line on its scheduled release date. We are sorry if this is a burden, however the design of the new truck has left us a little more to work through. Toyota has redesigned the truck to have a higher towing payload however the redesigned frame was not designed with a gooseneck hitch in mind, most other major truck manufacturers keep the gooseneck hitch customers in mind and help accommodate for the installation of a gooseneck hitch. Toyota is not one of those manufacturers, so we are forced to really work on a design that can be easily installed and operated as all other B&W Trailer Hitches. All I can recommend is to check in with us periodically to see when we plan on releasing a new hitch for the all new Toyota Tundra. We will have a hitch, we just can not yet say when. If you have any other questions or comments please feel free to contact me again. Thank You.

Zach Hutton
Quality Response Consultant
B&W Custom Truck Beds, Inc.
P.O. Box 186
1216 HWY 224
Humboldt, KS 66748
1-800-248-6564
[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I was afraid of...."we're looking into it and will have it available SOMETIME..."

Anyone else had any success finding a hidden gooseneck hitch that is compatible with the new Tundras? I don't want to install a plate-mounted hitch inside the bed that will always have a ball sticking up if there is a hidden hitch available out there.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gooses and 5th wheels?

I've asked about this before on the forum but decided to post again after a couple of weeks.

Has anyone found any compatible gooseneck hitches for the new Tundras? I have a 5.7l Double Cab and am looking to put a gooseneck hitch in as soon as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey - Check out the B&W Hitch site. They are showing a part number (1257) for the 2007 Tundra. Part number 1251 is for the 2000 - 2006 Tundra.

It doesn't say whether it is for Regular, Double or Crew cab, and it doesn't mention short or long bed either. I suppose it could be possible that one design works for all versions.

The web page for the installation instructions does not have a link for the model 1257.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've been un-patiently waiting for the B&W hitch. It has been tested on the new tundra & i am expecting them to start manufacturing this week.

I have made about 20 calls or so to them since i got my tundra a month ago.
I just hope they pull thru with it so i can go camping. We'll see.

They did tell me that they WILL be the first with a hitch for the tundra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Let me start off by saying that my company is very pleased to see such demand and patiance from users wanting to get a Turnover Ball Gooseneck hitch system for their new 07 Tundras. This is greeatly appreciated by the entire company. I am the Quality response consultant for the company and I would like to just clear up a little of the confusion on the new 1257 hitch manufactured by B&W Trailer Hitches.

It was called to my attention that a reply from myself was posted here in an attempt to explain my companies stance on the 07 Tundra. However that is a response from a while back and is no longer valid. We have already released the 1257 hitch for the new Toyota Tundra! The hitch is in full production and we are taking orders for it currently. At first we may have a limited number due to large influx of customers requesting the hitch. Tundra owners can get the hitch from us whenever they please or contact a local B&W Authorized Dealer to see if they are stocking this popular hitch. There is an approximately a 10 day lead period. We will ship your hitch within 10 days of the day the order is placed. There is a feature on our website that after inputing a zipcode gives customers a listing of the closest Authorized Dealers in their areas. The Dealer Locator is located in the Dealer information link at B&W Custom Truck Beds, Inc. .

There is one small feature that will be different with this hitch versus all other models produced by B&W Trailer Hitches I would like to point out to owners planning on installing a B&W hitch on a 07 Tundra. Due to the redesign of the frame and underbody on these trucks the ball will not turnover and store in the socket as it does with all of our other hitch models. A close look underneath the truck will quickly explain why. The ball if inverted could come into contact with brakelines and or the trucks differential when the hitch is loaded. to avoid the possibilty of any type of damage we designed the hitch so that the ball can NOT be inverted. We are currently working on production of the Hitch Plug for this unit so owners will have this option. We will have to monitor demand before redesigning all the accessories so that they can be used with this hitch model.

Biggest thing to point out regarding thi****ch is a lot of 07 Tundra owners want the Double cab with a 5.5' bed. B&W Trailer Hitches DOES NOT recommend installing any make of gooseneck hitch in this model of truck, or any model of truck with that short of a bed. The turning/backing clearance in these trucks is so limited that it would not be wise to use this model of truck to haul gooseneck trailers. This is still an issue users will face with the standard short bed, just not to the same magnitude. B&W strongly recommends the use of our Hitch Extender accessory in any short bed truck to gain four more inches of clearance for turning and backing. B&W Trailer Hitches can not and will not be held responsible for any damages to truck and/or trailer due to improper turning/backing clearance. It is the sole responsibility of the end user to ensure that they will have adequate turning clearance in all operating conditions.

The other issue to address with this new hitch is that our RV Companion WILL NOT work with the new 07 Toyota Tundra trucks. This is due to the design of our hitch not being compatible wit the ribbing in the new trucks bed. Toyota has completely changed the ribbing to a point that it will not allow our hitch to function correctly, as well as the traditional socket post being too long. We pride ourselves in the fact that our 5th wheel hitch allows the user to not have to install rail systems in their trucks. When the hitch is removed their is nothing left in the bed to be ahinderance to regular bed uses. We use a system that distributes the weight on the hitch across the truck bed floor while only having to have one attachment point, that being the socket for the Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch. The way Toyota has designed the new ribbing will not allow our hitch to sit equally across the ribs and thus not be stable enough for use. Due to the fact that there is a very limited amount of 07 Tundra owners requesting a 5th wheel hitch, we are still looking into the possibility of making a RV Companion that will work in this truck. We have to closely examine the demand for this type of product and weigh that info against the costs of design, production, and distributing before making a decision as to whether or not this product will be an option. This is the only current standard production truck that will not accept the RV Companion due to Toyota's change in design on bed ribbing from the norm. B&W Trailer Hitches will not be held reposible for any types of damages resulting from use of the RV Companion in any 07 Tundra, becasue we DO NOT consider the RV Companion an accessory to the new model 1257 '07 Tundra hitch.

We appreciate your interest in B&W Trailer Hitches for your towing needs. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Zach Hutton
Quality Response Consultant
B&W Trailer Hitches / B&W Custom Truck Beds Inc.
[email protected]
1-800-248-6564 ext.222

·
Registered
6 Posts
Zach,

In your post you mention that "the ball will not turnover and store in the socket".

Will the ball be able to be removed (and stored somewhere else) like a non-Tundra turnover ball?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Zach,

In your post you mention that "the ball will not turnover and store in the socket".

Will the ball be able to be removed (and stored somewhere else) like a non-Tundra turnover ball?

Thanks
I beleive the answer to this is: Yes, you can store it wherever you want or leave it in place.
This is the way my hidden hitch is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Biggest thing to point out regarding this hitch is a lot of 07 Tundra owners want the Double cab with a 5.5' bed. B&W Trailer Hitches DOES NOT recommend installing any make of gooseneck hitch in this model of truck, or any model of truck with that short of a bed.
Do you mean the Crewmax? the Double Cab has a 6.5' bed standard not the 5.5. I dont think you can even get the DC with the 5.5' bed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry for any added confusion.

The ball is completely removable so it can be stored anywhere you wish. As I mentioned we are designing the Hitch plug to work with this hitch to fill the socket when the ball is not inserted in the hitch. we are sorry if this is a burden however we feel itismore importantto cover functionality over conveinance in this situation to avoidany damages.

I was refereing to the CrewMax. I should have just said any '07 Tundra with a 5.5' bed as we have had different dealers tell us that the truck can and other dealers tell us the truck can not come with the 5.5' bed in the Double Cab model. Regardless, there is not an extender available for this model of hitch at this time so EXTREME caution will be needed when hauling a gooseneck style trailer with any of the shortbed model Tundra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm dropping off my DC (6.5' bed) this Friday for a Gooseneck Hitch I ordered about 2 weeks ago. :) I'll let you know how it goes next week. Had a choice between B&W and Draw-Tite and the dealer couldn't promise when the B&W would come in, so I went with Draw-Tite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gooseneck vs standard 5th wheel hitch on Tundra/ RV
This is my first post, even though I bought an '06 Tundra and signed up over a year ago. The 06 Tundra pulled our 26' Aerolite TT (4000 lbs) just fine. I just bought a new 30' Flagstaff 8528GTSS fifth wheel two days before my '07 Tundra came in.
Now I've got to figure what kind of hitch to put in. Help Please !!
Here are the facts and numbers as best as I can figure.
'07 Tundra 5.7 4x4 Double cab 6.5' bed, black on black with chromed steel aftermarket 20" wheels. 7100 lbs gvw, 1655 payload, 10800 towing cap.
Flagstaff Classic Super Lite GVWR 8271, UVW 6921, Pin Hitch weight 1081+lbs. and has an extended hitch.
I found a cushoned Gooseneck adapter at etrailer.com Code CAB-C5G, 20,000lbs/ 2000lbs in 12", 14" or 16". Also model CAB-5GX has a 71/2" offset. also etrailer has Hidden Hitch's under bed (like B&W) hitch #63104-24 which is the same # as Drawtite. I like the gooseneck because it would be real easy to remove the ball and put a bed rug in.
Questions
1-Will the gooseneck be just as good as the fifth whl hitch that everyone seems to use, and are there differences in quality of towing?
2- Does the 6.5' bed need an offset or slider?
3- What height or adapter length do I need, or how to measure to find out?
4- Will the setup with the items listed above be a top notch setup?

newbe needs advice...........Thanks, Grintoy

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Gooseneck vs standard 5th wheel hitch on Tundra/ RV
This is my first post, even though I bought an '06 Tundra and signed up over a year ago. The 06 Tundra pulled our 26' Aerolite TT (4000 lbs) just fine. I just bought a new 30' Flagstaff 8528GTSS fifth wheel two days before my '07 Tundra came in.
Now I've got to figure what kind of hitch to put in. Help Please !!
Here are the facts and numbers as best as I can figure.
'07 Tundra 5.7 4x4 Double cab 6.5' bed, black on black with chromed steel aftermarket 20" wheels. 7100 lbs gvw, 1655 payload, 10800 towing cap.
Flagstaff Classic Super Lite GVWR 8271, UVW 6921, Pin Hitch weight 1081+lbs. and has an extended hitch.
I found a cushoned Gooseneck adapter at etrailer.com Code CAB-C5G, 20,000lbs/ 2000lbs in 12", 14" or 16". Also model CAB-5GX has a 71/2" offset. also etrailer has Hidden Hitch's under bed (like B&W) hitch #63104-24 which is the same # as Drawtite. I like the gooseneck because it would be real easy to remove the ball and put a bed rug in.
Questions
1-Will the gooseneck be just as good as the fifth whl hitch that everyone seems to use, and are there differences in quality of towing?
2- Does the 6.5' bed need an offset or slider?
3- What height or adapter length do I need, or how to measure to find out?
4- Will the setup with the items listed above be a top notch setup?

newbe needs advice...........Thanks, Grintoy
I went with the hidden hitch gooseneck on mine for 3 reasons: i only have a 4" hole drilled in the bed which means i can use 100% of my bed when not towing.
2- easier to remove than a fifth wheel (just remove the ball only).
3-More universal for horse trailers mainly (which i have).

I would recomend you go with the colbert gooseneck adapter. But first you MUST make sure the trailer manufacturer allows for this.
This adapter will hook up to your trailer and is of good quality & is the strongest.
I think the goose is just as good as the fifth wheel (providing flagstaff allows this). Your quality of towing should be close to the same either way. However, i notice when on bumpy roads going slow, the trailer can give you a little jarring back & forth but it's not too bad.
No, the 6.5' bed doesn't need a slider but without it you won't be able to turn 90 degrees when backing up. Going forward you won't have a problem, but backing up is where you'll have to watch it.
You'll need the standard colbert adapter & you'll need to raise the trailer hitch down one notch to get enough clearance to the top of the bed on the truck. Depending on how high off the ground the trailer is, you may need to lift the whole trailer somewhat. Flip the axles or put in blocks. This is due to the deep bed in our trucks. I would imagine you will have this same problem on either hitch you go with.
Initial cost should be less with the goose. $399+$200+$599=$1198.00 hitch+installation+colbert adapter. You could spend $1200 on just a fifth wheel hitch alone easily. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the offset setup you're talking about.

Gooseneck is my vote. Any questions PM me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the B & W gooseneck hitch in my Ford F250 short bed and the guy who installed it mistakenly put it in 3" closer to the front of the bed than he was supposed to. Lucky for me, my gooseneck trailer, which has a tapered nose, never came close to hitting my cab -- ever.

The reason this is good news is that the '07 Tundra short bed is 3" shorter than my old Ford short bed, and the placement for the B & W turn-over ball hitch ends up needing to be the same distance from the cab as was the hitch in my old Ford. I talked with B & W and checked this out.

I think B & W will tell you the distance is either 37" or 43" -- I forget. I don't have my Ford anymore to double-check. And I haven't put in the gooseneck hitch in my Tundra because I am selling that trailer and going with a bumper pull to scale down.

At any rate, the news is that if you have a short bed Tundra, the gooseneck hitch will work. And the turn-over ball hitch is the best in the industry, IMHO. And as long as you have a tapered nose on your trailer, you're golden. I can't say what would happen if your trailer has a square nose. If your trailer has a square nose, I wouldn't try the gooseneck hitch in a short bed Tundra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank You both, Only Toyota & okemos.......
I will check out the adapter and get measurements today.
Also I did not know to check Flagstaff so I'll do that too.
What is a tapered nose? Is that the V shaped nose that I see on horse Trailers? Do You pull 5th wheel RVs or only horse trailers?
My truck is the standard 6.5' bed, not the short 5.5 or long 8.0.
Thank You both Again for the Good Info!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is a photo of my horse trailer, which has a tapered nose. I say "tapered" but you can call it whatever you like. I guarantee you could pull it with your Tundra if you put a gooseneck hitch in the bed, and you wouldn't hit your cab when you make sharp turns. This trailer weighs 4,250 lbs and the Tundra can pull 10,000 lbs. I bet I start seeing Tundras at the barrel races soon.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
:tu:
Here is a photo of my horse trailer, which has a tapered nose. I say "tapered" but you can call it whatever you like. I guarantee you could pull it with your Tundra if you put a gooseneck hitch in the bed, and you wouldn't hit your cab when you make sharp turns. This trailer weighs 4,250 lbs and the Tundra can pull 10,000 lbs. I bet I start seeing Tundras at the barrel races soon.

That's a nice trailer, is it a featherlite? Looks like one.
We just paid $16k for a Classic 4- horse aluminum one that weighs 4500 empty. And i don't know if you read my post on towing it?
Oh yeah, the tundra handles it great! With 8500 lbs behind, We were all very pleased, even my dad who owns a 8.0 (454) chebby and the tundy put it to shame powerwise. :tu: I may need some airbags if i put 4 or 5 horses in it. They told me i'll have 2000 lbs pin weight fully loaded. But with 3 horses we don't need them, the tundy still had 2" to the bumpstops and it never bottomed out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Featherlites are nice trailers. Mine is a 4 Star, and it is for sale for $19,350.

I bought my Tundra at a time when I wasn't sure whether I was selling my gooseneck, so I had to check out with the hitch people if the Tundra could pull the gooseneck, and the answer was yes. But one of our kids is going off to college and won't be going to barrel races anymore. My wife and I want to scale down and so we got a Hawk 2H BP.

What is your gas mileage pulling that Featherlite?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thank You both, Only Toyota & okemos.......
I will check out the adapter and get measurements today.
Also I did not know to check Flagstaff so I'll do that too.
What is a tapered nose? Is that the V shaped nose that I see on horse Trailers? Do You pull 5th wheel RVs or only horse trailers?
My truck is the standard 6.5' bed, not the short 5.5 or long 8.0.
Thank You both Again for the Good Info!!
I pull both rv's & horsetrailers.

My truck is the same as yours.

No problem, let us know what you find out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts