Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to say I really like this site! I have been doing some searchin and I have gotten some good info so far!
But, I still have a few questions about a Sequoia I just picked up for the family. Its a 2002 4x4 SR5, I love it! But the first thing I noticed about driving it is that it doesnt stop so well, I know its a large vehicle and that it will stop slower (I drive a school bus for a living I understand how large vehicles stop) but I got to reading and I read something about a Toyota TSB for the brakes on these?? How would I know if this has been done to my vehicle?? If it hasn't been done can I still take it in?
And 2nd: when I engage the 4wd the indicated light on the dash blinks in the middle of the symbol..? Is that normal? The 4wd seems to be engaged, but I have had my expiences w/ tacomas before and never saw a blinking indicated light before.. Well thx in advance to any and all help, Will

·
Banned
21 Posts
the blinking should stop after about 250 yards of driving the car or sooner... untill the 4x4 is locked up by the gizmos

the brakes on this car suck... if you have the WL stamp on your calpers i think you have the upgraded ones but im sure some one else will chime in... but in any case even the4 "tsb" brakes suck hard core... have to live with it and change your pads every 20k... stupid toyota

sorry im bitter about buying my toyota... can you feel the love? im selling mine and getting me a range rover

also dont mind the thunk it makes when you stop... its "normal"

to be honest if you can still exchange your car i would get like a gmc or a ford becase they are more thought out and are better IMHO but in any case your toyota will always start

oh make sure yours had the lower balljoint tsb done on it or the runaway prius thing will not seem so bad after your car flips as it looses a front wheel

F to the U Totyota!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the blinking should stop after about 250 yards of driving the car or sooner... untill the 4x4 is locked up by the gizmos

the brakes on this car suck... if you have the WL stamp on your calpers i think you have the upgraded ones but im sure some one else will chime in... but in any case even the4 "tsb" brakes suck hard core... have to live with it and change your pads every 20k... stupid toyota

sorry im bitter about buying my toyota... can you feel the love? im selling mine and getting me a range rover

also dont mind the thunk it makes when you stop... its "normal"

to be honest if you can still exchange your car i would get like a gmc or a ford becase they are more thought out and are better IMHO but in any case your toyota will always start

oh make sure yours had the lower balljoint tsb done on it or the runaway prius thing will not seem so bad after your car flips as it looses a front wheel

F to the U Totyota!!!!!!

Um... Thx for the info, but you may want to find a diffent site.. I know I'm new here, but It makes you look a real idiot bashing on Toyotas on a Toyota web site! I wouldn't buy anything but a Toyota! I've had nothing but EXCELLENT luck with all of my Toyota vehicles! If you think your Sequoia has problems just wait till you get that Range Rover! Thx, but no thx.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey Toy lvr, welcome to the site! The front brake calipers may be the older version. The TSB was only valid with the factory warranty, and even then you had to pay for the upgrade. If you can look at the front caliper, the inner casting number will be 13WE (Older pre-tsb) or the newer 13WL (which is on the newer model and is the TSB replacement). If you have the 13WE, all you need to do is get a set of 05-06' model front calipers and trim the dust shield to make it fit. There is a fact sheet on this in the 1st gen tundra forums, but I think I can look it up and send you a copy if you can't find it. There is also a nice basic Brembo replacement rotor if you need to replace yours for fairly cheap on tirerack.com. For pads, I would stick with Toyota or a high quality name like Akebono or Raybestos or EBC. There is a lot of talk on this, and I'm sure you'll have many different answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try Hawk brake pads... they are about $100 a pair, but will last a long time, as well as brake far better than other pads. Oh, and make sure you have turned/new rotors when you put them on, that can make a big difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts