Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went on a little road trip this morning to pick up this topper for a great price. :D I ran across in on a CL posting.

Its not the higest end of the LEER line but it does seems to fit ratehr nicely and even uses the existing rail system to mount too.

Now I just got to get it painted to match.. I plan to use it now and then on longer road trips were I need more dry storage space.

Here a few pics .... I am sure I had a few ppl look at me going down 95 today, thinking does he know that things not the same color. But for 1/4 of the original cost I couldn't pass it up.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Quit teasing how much was it lol

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It gives it a different look, when its not color matched, and not in a bad way. I wouldn't do it, but its not as bad as I would of thought, without seeing it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
That is a good price for that cap. Interesting that it has the same side windows as my ARE. Probably the same company makes them for everyone!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
You know, that looks Terrible on your truck! :eek:

It would look MUCH better on Pyrite --- oh, it just so happens that I have a pyrite CrewMax.

JK - I'm jealous, that's a great deal. And, I agree that the silver/on/blue doesn't look all that bad in the mean-time

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dang!!! And I paid 10 crisps for my retrax? Nice looking cap I might add. Though I'm not a huge fan of caps, I think this one kinda enhances the look.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Wow that's a great deal WT. nice find, I never find anything on CL!

·
Registered
239 Posts
that looks like mine. I paid almost 2X that much, and I thought I got a great deal. Funny, mine's silver too. got any pics from the back? Does your have LED lights as well? Have you hooked up your brakelight and interior dome light yet? Have you found any adaptors to hook up the wires?

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
:cool: Okay if you must know I got it for $250, so I think I can afford to have it repainted to color match. Shhhh don't tell anyone how much I paid.
Great price! Just FYI, I tried to have a fiberglass tonneau painted, and out of 5 body shops, only 3 would paint it, and none would warranty it. Apparently there is some risk associated with painting "non-OEM" fiberglass (think Corvette). It was a nice lid too - a Gaylord's for my Lightning. But I'm sure you'll find someone that is willing to take on the project! There are still good body shops out there :)

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Getting a real good color match is the problem. When I bought my ARE the dealer had seven different variations of Salsa Red Pearl to choose from. The match is good, but not perfect.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know, that looks Terrible on your truck! :eek:

It would look MUCH better on Pyrite --- oh, it just so happens that I have a pyrite CrewMax.

JK - I'm jealous, that's a great deal. And, I agree that the silver/on/blue doesn't look all that bad in the mean-time
You come on down pay me full price before I get it painted and then I can turn around and get a new one already the right color.:D

Wow that's a great deal WT. nice find, I never find anything on CL!
Yeah I been poking on CL for a while and hardly find anything crewmax specific, more DBL cab stuff usually. I find its also in how you search for something by name and to also check surounding areas.

that looks like mine. I paid almost 2X that much, and I thought I got a great deal. Funny, mine's silver too. got any pics from the back? Does your have LED lights as well? Have you hooked up your brakelight and interior dome light yet? Have you found any adaptors to hook up the wires?
Yeah the price started at twice what I paid but then I told him I had to repaint it, which I did and also had to drive almost 3 hours to pick it up.
After he told me what he take for it then I was almost thinking this is almost to good to be true but he just wanted to move it out of the garage.

Yeah it come with a clear LED brake light and no I have not wired anything up yet so I may ask the LEER dealer about a plug when I by there since I have to pick up replacement keys since he could not find his any more.
I am pretty sure they will have the molex adpater or you can find online too I bet with a little searching. I don't plan to use this to often so not sure I will even bother with wireing up the lights and stuff, but we will see.

Great price! Just FYI, I tried to have a fiberglass tonneau painted, and out of 5 body shops, only 3 would paint it, and none would warranty it. Apparently there is some risk associated with painting "non-OEM" fiberglass (think Corvette). It was a nice lid too - a Gaylord's for my Lightning. But I'm sure you'll find someone that is willing to take on the project! There are still good body shops out there :)
I am not to worried about the greatest job since like I said ealier this is to be used now and then I keep my BakFlip for more daily use but I don't know it may grow on me more it doesn't look to bad on a Crewmax thats for sure.

Oh I passed right by you probably to go pick this up saturday morning on 95, did I say 95 traffic sucks !! :). I could of tossed out my old bakflip to you as a freebie almost since its just to much trouble to try and ship it and prefer to keep things local. Did you even get something for your new truck yet or still deciding on what route to take.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I'm sure the quality will be great, and I doubt you'll have any problems. I was just surprised from my own experience that shops are so darn skittish when it comes to fiberglass from well-known manufacturers.

I hear you on the traffic! We actually went down to Maryland on Saturday and we took 301 to 50 across the Bay Bridge. I go like 20 miles out of my way to avoid 95 :p

Awww thanks for thinking of me! :) I've got a cheapo Truxedo Truxport for now, it's okay as roll-up vinyl covers go. I'm torn between doing something like the Bakflip and doing another fiberglass cover. The fiberglass covers look soooo good, but definitely limit access :(

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure the quality will be great, and I doubt you'll have any problems. I was just surprised from my own experience that shops are so darn skittish when it comes to fiberglass from well-known manufacturers.

I hear you on the traffic! We actually went down to Maryland on Saturday and we took 301 to 50 across the Bay Bridge. I go like 20 miles out of my way to avoid 95 :p

Awww thanks for thinking of me! :) I've got a cheapo Truxedo Truxport for now, it's okay as roll-up vinyl covers go. I'm torn between doing something like the Bakflip and doing another fiberglass cover. The fiberglass covers look soooo good, but definitely limit access :(
Yeah next time on a weekend no more 95 for me either (I was in Crofton MD.) going to do RT1 or 301 if needed from now on, just have to tell the GPS to go that route. Yea thats why I got the Bakflip easy to get taller things in if needed. But now I have the topper for any trips I need extra storage space and be totaly weather proof for the most part. It was just to hard to pass up the deal I found so I had to get it, even if it sits on saw horses more than half of its life.

I just think most painter are hessitant painting fiberglass for some reason, maybe just from lack of working with it daily.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can you give me the LEER model number, since I like the looks and would to like to get the same type.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you give me the LEER model number, since I like the looks and would to like to get the same type.
I am not 100% sure since the guy I got it from didn't recall or remember, from my research it looks like its the 100R model if I was to actually pay full price for one I like the 100XL or 100XQ models but since I was buying used I got what I could find for a resonable price. :D
You can also add all kinds of things to this thing in options for sure. Mine pretty basic sliding front window, sliding side windows, interior light and brake LED light and thats about it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is this? How does it look?
Looks just like the rear glass on a dbl cab on the tundra were the center glass just slides to one side to give you access to it from the cab if needed or guess you could open it to let some A/C through to say your pet in a crate back there if needed. This could leave a big air space gap since on the crewmax we have the sliding back window. Maybe even reach in the back to get something out of a cooler. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
WT- looks great, when that is color matched it will be an awesome looking ride. ( :Dthem back doors are too long tho.:D..LOL)

hey - next time you go north let me know- crofton is right past me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts