Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 06 Prerunner Sport with a 4.0L and 89k on it. I just started to notice a lite shutter when pulling out and that has turned into a real bad shutter upon acceleration in 1st and 2nd at lower rpm's. I have a feeling this is the torque converter but have not found a tsb on it.
Q: Is there a tsb and what is the fix for this...anyone?

·
Registered
663 Posts
From what I've read, there have been a lot of theories that the shudder is actually caused by the limited slip differential. Since you have the LSD, have you been changing it every 30K miles, adding the LSD additive, and using 80w 90 gear oil (non-synthetic)? Not following that is a common reason for vibrations at low take-off speeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. That was my next guess and would probably start there. I have not used the additive but will pick it up and change it anyway. I was told a few years back to not use synthetic as well. The dealership is going to look at it Friday. Curious to see what they say.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a06 tundra dc with ls.A while back i changed my diff fluid to mobile one syn.Shortly after that i got a bad shudder in first gear.I changed the fluid again to valvoline 80 90 limited slip gear oil its been about 500 miles now and my shudder is gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Changed the differential fluid...looked fine. Didn't fix it so I went to the dealer and 1 guy drove it and I was with him. He said it "feels like a torque converter shudder" and this is the first one he's seen. They are gonna have their service manager and tranny tech take it out today and see. Possible that it could be the tranny fluid going bad. We shall see. BTW: my dealer uses "motorcraft LSD additive" and was told lucas oil can be used without it...so I went with Lucas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealership found a TSB on a vibration from 10 to 25mph, looks like its the tranny mounts. they call for a replacement and that it. Parts are gonna be 100 bones and that much to put them in. I should have them in by this time next week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have this shudder also. They replaced the tranny. I made it very slight but it is still there. So they had a doner truck and swapped out the drive shafts,m tranny mount. That didn't fix it either. The only thing they didn't replace was the rear diff and torque converter. My guess is that it is the torque converter. It feels like it, so when I get my truck back I goin back and having them look at the torque converter.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Torque converters don't shudder, they're nothing more than a turbine with fluid rushing through them. The shudder is caused by friction. The only things that involve friction in the whole drive line are differentials and transmission. If you used the wrong fluid in a LSD and drove it around damaging the clutch packs in the LSD wearing off the material, simply changing the fluid back to LSD oil wont fix it. The damage is done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Prerunner 4.0L with 100,000 miles that developed a bad (I mean BAD) shudder under the same circumstances a week ago almost to the day. I too had a slight shudder at 1st gear take-off...had a 2000 Tundra that did the same thing. Just got use to it. Nevertheless, if you could let me know if your Tacoma is fixed via mounts, rear-end etc. I have done the following and still have the shudder:

1. Changed plugs
2. Cleaned injectors w/ Lucas cleaner (try to do as often as i can)
3. Changed rear-end fluid
4. Balanced and rotated tires

I am at a loss. Look forward to your response

JDT

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does anyone maintain their transmission anymore?

And, shudder can be caused by the 'lock-up' and 'variable slip' of the the torque converter. So, its not just a turbine.

A good tech should be able to determine the cause of the shudder, whether the rear-end's LSD, worn u-joints binding, bad drive-train mounts, or torque-converter shudder or transmission slippage.

Regardless of what gear oil you use, you should consider the LSD additive. Lucas is not a gear oil I'd recommend and I would definitely use the LSD additive with it. So, start by tossing in a bottle of LSD additive so that you can rule out the LSD.

Get a complete fluid exchange of the ATF. ATF friction modifiers make the shifts feel smooth, and allow smooth lock/unlock/slippage of the TC....and do wear out. If the ATF has over 30k miles on it or 3 years, get it flushed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice to read that I'm not the only one with the Shudder at take-off. I'd like to get rid of it.

Truck: 2002 Tundra 2wd @ 126k miles.

Q: If I get the Tranny flushed and the LSD axle flushed and both replaced with new fluids might that take care of it?... or am I seeing the effects of damage already done?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Tacoma with a vibration that is subtle but there at 90-110km/h. No change in 4WD, swapped prop shaft, swapped with brand new rims and tires from a new truck, even a l/r axle assembly. Possible tranny/ torque converter issue? this one is slightly different from other tacomas ive worked on. Im a tech in ontario, canada. 48, 000kms on truck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 06 tundra dc that has the shudder.I thought i got rid of it when i changed the diff fluid back to regular gear oil did'nt work.If i put my truck in 4h i can accelerate as hard as i want 1n 1st gear in wiil not shudder only in two wheel drive will it shudder.I thinck it has something to do with the 2 peice driveshaft.I think a 1 piece driveshaft would cure it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2010 Tacoma with a vibration that is subtle but there at 90-110km/h. No change in 4WD, swapped prop shaft, swapped with brand new rims and tires from a new truck, even a l/r axle assembly. Possible tranny/ torque converter issue? this one is slightly different from other tacomas ive worked on. Im a tech in ontario, canada. 48, 000kms on truck.
I've got the same thing on my '07 Taco Sport. So far they've rebalanced tires, replaced LSD, and then told me the problem was my 3/4 worn tires with one of them apparently out of round, so I replaced all 4 tires with new Bridgestone Duelers. Still shimmys or shudders between 60-75mph. This week my dealer is going to install some part that they said a lower speed shudder bulletin authorizes. I can't find the bulletin they are referring to but my service rep said he had talked to a Toyota tech rep and that's the recommendation they came up with even though it's not meant to fix higher speed shudders. If it doesn't fix my problem they plan to remove it.

If you figure out what's causing your problem, I'd be interested in hearing about it....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts