Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these "fixes" are old news... but, Wow - what a difference!

I finally got fed-up with the stupid touchy shimmed pedal that they ruined with the BS recall, when the truck would "Lurch" over washboard roads & bumps because the stupid pedal was so touchy after the shim....

So, I called on Monday & ordered a new pedal. The Service manager tried to feed me some line of BS saying it wasn't really a "new" pedal and the design hadn't changed... blah blah blah. I told him that I wouldn't take NO for an answer, the pedal was ordered, came in today, and is now installed where it should be.

The pedal feels soooooo much better! I'm kicking myself for waiting this long, but I'm glad it's finally over. Finally smooth off the line again - and I'm a happy camper.

*NOTE* They still had to "cut/trim" the bottom corner of the pedal so it wouldn't get caught under the floormat. I tried to argue with him, but he showed me on the computer where it was required for installation, and said they couldn't install it unless they did the trim .... turns out it's just a small trim, so no biggie. FYI

·
Registered
179 Posts
i haven't done the shim or the pedal. is it that much of a difference from original? can't i just skim the shim and go right to the pedal?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I don't even remember what the original (pre-tampering) pedal felt like anymore.... I just know that this new pedal is MILES better than the shimmed original.

·
Registered
889 Posts
They trimmed the new gas pedal? That still sucks!

The new pedal is shorter... no need to trim.... that's the whole point of the gas pedal design. Something wrong there with that service dept.

.....but in order for them to order you a new gas pedal, they have to do to trimming on the old pedal first and if Customer doesn't satisfy.... then they install the new gas pedal.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm..... well, whatever. they only trimmed it a bit, and it's working great now. The Toyota shops around here suck (truck-wise). This is definitely NOT Toyota country around here... I should open up a Toyota Race-Shop, I'd have the market cornered!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
mine is better than yours. mine is original. i never went in for any of the recalls, and wont. theres no need. i can tell the gas from the brake and heaven forbid somethign gets stuck, i can stop a truck with the throttle open. not rocket science. and theres no way in the world my mat would ever get caught on the pedal, the dam pedal is so small as it is...id have to figure out a way to make it happen on purpose for it to happen. so, all that to say, glad you got yours done. im saving my time and sanity.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i haven't done the shim or the pedal. is it that much of a difference from original? can't i just skim the shim and go right to the pedal?
if you havent done it yet DONT. even the new pedal isnt as good as the original. its alot better but not as good....leave it alone

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you havent done it yet DONT. even the new pedal isnt as good as the original. its alot better but not as good....leave it alone
I agree... I wish I never let them do the shim.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I agree... I wish I never let them do the
shim.
I will have to agree with you guys, original pedal was ok (a little touchy at times), shimmed pedal was horrible and replacement gets me almost back to original (seems touchy sometimes).

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
X100 on "Don't fix it if it aint broke."

But I'm glad you're happy with your truck, poo.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What pedal would come on a new 2010?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Honestly I have to say before they shimmed my pedal, after I got my 2008 CrewMax, it wasn't touchy enough. I would have the pedal half way to the floor before I would get any power, and then it would all come at once, I got used to this but 5 days later had to take it back for some work, and they put the shim in... I was worried as I had read all the problems with the shim on here, but after the shim now its perfect, the power comes gradually now, and not all at once, and as soon as i touch the pedal i start to get some power.

Oh well, I'm sure there's going to be one in one hundred that actually get a boost from the shim... Not saying it fixed the original problem because the recall was BS but it did make me a happier Tundra owner by fixing my power problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Day Tundra Comrades

I too was very happy with the original pedal configuration of my 2007 LTD. I delayed the process of having the pedal modified after receiving several notices from Toyota Canada. I'm not totally convinced that there is a problem, with the pedal, but if anything possibly more so of an ECU or software related rather than mechanical, since there is no direct connection mechanically to the engine. I read all of the advisories from fellow members and decided that I would only agree to have the recall completed if Toyota agreed to replace the pedal, they did and the rest is history. Although only one day with the replacement, other than it being slightly shorter, I notice no difference in the performance of my truck.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm like Barney, I never did the shim fix. When I was at the dealer for an oil change I told them I didn't want any pedal recall fixes done to my truck and they said it was my choice.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm like Barney, I never did the shim fix. When I was at the dealer for an oil change I told them I didn't want any pedal recall fixes done to my truck and they said it was my choice.
Same here...mine is still stock, works just fine. I also still have my stock floor mats. I never did receive a Recall letter from Toyota...way to go Toyota. Funny how all the pedal problems are now old news and aren't a problem any more. Too bad the AIP problem never made the news...that is a problem that DOES need a Recall. Going into Limp mode is a safety problem that is being ignored by Toyota and the NHTSA.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/181377-air-induction-pump-69/

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/04/26/tundra-sequoia-air-injection-induction-pump/

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had my pedal shimmed 2 weeks ago..I was very concerned based on the results a lot on this board have had.. but as I drove away from the dealer lot I decided that I liked the shimmed pedal better.. the power is more consistent.. maybe there is some variabliity in the way they perform the work.. which would explain all the variety of results..Joe

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Thanks for the good information.:tu::tu:
Mine has to go in for service next week so if they want to fool with it they will have to come up with a new one. No shims!
No way that I am letting them touch my floor mats either!
I'm still in "points lock" so maybe someone else can send you some for me.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Thanks for the good information.:tu::tu:
Mine has to go in for service next week so if they want to fool with it they will have to come up with a new one. No shims!
No way that I am letting them touch my floor mats either!
I'm still in "points lock" so maybe someone else can send you some for me.
I got you

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Don't do it. Had the shim sh!t done, it was terrible. Had a "new" pedal done, almost as bad. I didn't mark the old one and I'm not 100% sure they replaced it at all. Still sux like a 'ho.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
There is nothing mechanically wrong with these trucks, so it's silly to do ANYTHING at all. I too let them do the shim "fix" and regretted it. The new pedal brings me back to where I started. Toyota needs to figure out what (in the electronics) is really wrong and stop playing with gas pedals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts