Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that is really bothering me.
All of you know what it is like to drive in mixed driving conditions.
We all get behind the people that'll hit the brakes for ANY little thing, constantly screwing up the people behind them.

I am the type that prefers to hang back a bit, and anticipate the traffic flow. I actually try to make it through without touching the brakes, just driving smooth.

Occasionally, I'd like to prompt a bit more deceleration, like you would get by disengaging the OD manually, as a downshift.
This sounds entirely reasonable, but I am not certain; as, I had such bad luck with the last POS ford and 3 trannys, I am not willing to take any chances (gunshy)
I have heard a lot here about tapping the brakes to force a downshift, but that messes up my entertainment and experiment.

So, after that long intro...can riding along @ 65 ~ 75 mph, and manually shifting out of OD, as a manual downshift, then back into OD as the traffic flows again (several times a trip every day) create unnecessary stress on the transmission and decrease it's service life?

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Use the button on the end of the stalk says tow/haul works great for me. A lot of owners pull it out of OD when towing. would not think you would have any problems.

I have a question that is really bothering me.
All of you know what it is like to drive in mixed driving conditions.
We all get behind the people that'll hit the brakes for ANY little thing, constantly screwing up the people behind them.

I am the type that prefers to hang back a bit, and anticipate the traffic flow. I actually try to make it through without touching the brakes, just driving smooth.

Occasionally, I'd like to prompt a bit more deceleration, like you would get by disengaging the OD manually, as a downshift.
This sounds entirely reasonable, but I am not certain; as, I had such bad luck with the last POS ford and 3 trannys, I am not willing to take any chances (gunshy)
I have heard a lot here about tapping the brakes to force a downshift, but that messes up my entertainment and experiment.

So, after that long intro...can riding along @ 65 ~ 75 mph, and manually shifting out of OD, as a manual downshift, then back into OD as the traffic flows again (several times a trip every day) create unnecessary stress on the transmission and decrease it's service life?

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you're really looking at the highest longevity of this transmission then i'd recommend against it. I'm sure it wont shorten it's life greatly but it will shorten it. But then again i beat the living crap out of a GM 4L60-E tranny which were known to be some-what weak and at 220K it hadn't failed. I'd usually change from R to D going about 5mph, downshift to slow down, slam it into park, etc. Plus it didn't see much servicing. The odd thing about trannys is that some are meticulously maintained but fail before 100K while others never see service and last 150K+.

If i were you, just mash the gas and it'll do it for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts