Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the dumb mistake of trying to drive across a grass field that 'seemed dry.' About 300 yards out and I got stuck. An hour of digging later and I was freed, only to get stuck in the what I like to call as the swamp, again. Called my insurance company and found out I had emergency tow service. An hour later the tow truck arrives and they say they can't help me but they have another truck that, 'Never gets stuck." What do ya know, that truck gets stuck just trying to get out to me (3500 Chevy dual rear axle w/chains). When all else failed we called the owner of the farm and he had to pull us both out with one of their tractors. This tractor had 44" wide tires that were 66" tall. It floated across the swampy field with ease!

Okay, so I got pulled out backwards, as it was my front that was sunk down to the axle. After many thanks were said, I headed home but noticed I had a pretty violent shake in the steering wheel that could be felt as I drove down the road. It wasn't too bad until I hit about 50 mph. I got the truck home and spent the next two hours pulling and spraying mud from the undercarriage. I took it out on the road again and brought it up to 60 mph. The shake wasn't nearly as bad, and wasn't even noticeable until about 45mph.

So my question is, what do you think I messed up? Do you think it just needs an alignment after getting pulled out of the mud? He pulled me out smoothly, but he had to keep up the speed (10-15 mph) while dragging me backwards and I tried to keep my front wheels straight.

BTW - My truck won't ever be going off road again. Today was no fun, and I've more then learned my lesson :)

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Probably nuthin but mud on the inside of the rim. I did some muddin right after I got the truck, but fortunately didn't get stuck! Did have the same shake. Took the power washer to everything but had to eventually take the rims off and use a brush to get all of the dried mud unstuck. After I did that, no more shaking. Funny thing getting stuck like that. I had a jeep CJ7 that I got stuck past the axle once. The tow company sent a front end loader down to pull me out. He got me out but lost his 100ft chain in the mud! $150 for getting it unstuck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah, my guess is just mud.. Its a pain to get it all off, and it doesn't take much to cause a violent shake. I live off a 2 mile dirt road, and in mud season, I often have to spend quite a while w/ the pressure washer at the local carwash cleaning off the wheels.. worst part is that I sometimes make the shake worse before it gets better! (usually 2 sprays of the pressure washer after I drive through alot of mud).

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Mud on the rim like the others said!

you'll be fine. These trucks are pretty overbuilt so you shouldn't have broken anything, so you shouldn't have broken anything, especially without a spacer lift or anything of the sort on the front.

No pic of the tow truck but it was locked 5.13s front and rear, and even he had trouble pulling this guy out because he had lodged hsi bumper on the muddy ledge.

That guy had a bad day - 2 tows, a hydrolocked motor, a fine for off-roading where he hsouldn't have been - all to test out a brand new set of used Thornbirds.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
just mud build up as others have said. thats why it got less when u cleaned it. you might actually have to take the wheels off and clean the backsides that way. if not, just crawl under there with a high pressure hose and prepare to get wet and muddy but it will come out. if u wind up with a shimmy after cleaning it perfectly you might have sprayed one of the stick on wheel weights off- not telling u how i know that. but if thats the case, its simple to rebalance. but i doubt its anything more than just mud build up. you could go to a carwash at a gas station that has the undercarriage blaster to loosen it up so its not as hard when u go to spraying it down...would help if its like the one by my house that has an automated one right next to the coin op...u can let the automated one spray the dog crap out of it to help then finish it yourself.

now...brings up another question...was owner of teh farm mad u went off roading in his field? :)

also ur alignment should be just fine. it wont cause vibrations anyway, thats caused from out of balance due to mud, etc. if the alignment was messed up it would pull to one side or the other or simply cause tire wear..not really anything u are going to feel unless its horribly bad then u can hear the tires scrubbing as they try to go straight too

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I bet the farmer that pulled you out is still laughing!!:pound:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys! I will borrow a pressure washer and give the wheels a good cleaning tomorrow.

About the farmer. He is a friend my brothers friend and was really cool about it all. He drove 45 minutes to the farm just to pull us out. He was laughing when he pulled up and just said, "We all make mistakes." The ruts in the field were pretty bad, so he asked that we try to walk around and mush them down a bit. He said he didn't mind coming to help, but that his wife wasn't thrilled cause they were spending the afternoon together. I am sending him (really his wife) gift cards for dinner and a movie as a thank you. $75 for the gift cards is me getting off REALLY easy!

Again, thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Others have posted, but just to validate, almost certainly mud on the wheel. Give it a good wash. And the gift card is a nice idea. That alone says good things about you. I sent you rep points for that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Way to go on the gift cards,this just shows even guys with class get stuck every now and then!:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts