Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking a look at a gallery last night on this forum. I saw numerous Tundra DC just like mine with 2-6 inch lifts and really nice wheels and tires much larger than stock. With that in mind, none of the trucks in the gallery mention a gear upgrade. How big is too big? My ideal setup would be 2 inch lift in front with 17 inch wheels (MT Classic II) with a BFG AT that would fill up the tire well nicely. I saw one that looked really nice and he mentioned that he had 33's. That size tire has to mess with the speedo and gear ration, is this being ignored or is it not needed at all?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your need for a gear change might be found in how you drive. If you mainly use your truck around town and don't tow much, it should be ok with 33's. If you drive on the highway much and/or use it off road or tow, you may want to get a numerically higher gear that is proportionate with the difference in tire size.

If you had a 30" tire before and now run 33's, the difference in size is about 9%. This means your speedo will always be off by 9% (it will read slower than your actual speed). Now find a gear set that is 10% higher numerically...ie before - 3.73, after (3.37 *1.10) - 4.10

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Waste of $$ if you only want to run 33's. If you want to run a huge tire, then I think its worth investigating.

My speedo if off, but I keep that in mind when I'm driving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do drive alot, 25k in less than 6 mos on an 06 Tundra. I pull every now and then and if I do it is only a 5x8 trailer loaded pretty well. About 85% of driving is on Hwy/Cty, and probably pretty even between the two. From the response it seems that this is ignored pretty often. Guess I could try it out and if the truck is weaker, I will have to upgrade. Simple enough. As for the wheels, anyone have pics of a Tundra DC with MT Classic II wheels on it? If so, what is the most common size tire that is used to upgrade among you guys with an aftermarket 17in wheel?

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
The biggest challenge is nobody makes ring & Pinons for the 05 -06's yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read that the Tundra had a Tacoma diff in the towing forum. I was not aware that the diff changed in 05-06, why? Was this part of VVTI upgrade?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do drive alot, 25k in less than 6 mos on an 06 Tundra. I pull every now and then and if I do it is only a 5x8 trailer loaded pretty well. About 85% of driving is on Hwy/Cty, and probably pretty even between the two. From the response it seems that this is ignored pretty often. Guess I could try it out and if the truck is weaker, I will have to upgrade. Simple enough. As for the wheels, anyone have pics of a Tundra DC with MT Classic II wheels on it? If so, what is the most common size tire that is used to upgrade among you guys with an aftermarket 17in wheel?

I'm running a 17x8" rim with 295/70/17 and there is no rubbing and if you like the MT Classic II wheels than check out Dick Cepek (DC 1) they look pretty cool and their about the same price and for the gears with the 33's it's not too bad you definitely lose some of your low end but that's the sacrifice you'll have to make to look good

·
Registered
919 Posts
"If Im not mistaken",gotta be careful around here. From what I read on other forums Toyota does have a factory 4:30 r&p that will work but it is twice as much from the dealer. I think it came off of a t100 or some certain year tacos.

I don't care if Im only running 33"s, there is still power that is lost & tranny shift points that are off, especially while towing a toyhauler & driving to the mountains.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a programmer that will help compensate for the size in tire change? I had a chevy prior to this tundra and they had a programmer that would fix the speedo. Would that fix the shift points too? Is there even one for the Tundra?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Unfortunatly not, there is a company that makes a box for the older tundras, I think truspeed, that is suppossed to correct the speedo & shift points, I don't know though forsure weather they have one for 05 & up yet.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I don't care if Im only running 33"s, there is still power that is lost & tranny shift points that are off, especially while towing a toyhauler & driving to the mountains.
That drove me nuts. It's even worse with 35s.

If you drive in the mountains a lot or tow, regear at 33" tires, and definately regear at 35" tires whether you tow/haul or drive mountains or not. It's hardly a dog, but you'll always feel like you're missing a gear.

RockyMtnRay regeared with factory 4.10s or 4.30s, I forget which, but he has an earlier model Tundra. He tows a lot...through the mountains.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
there have been a ton of posts on this. if you want in depth discussion, do a search. the info is there.

i run almost 33" snow tires three months a year. they do not rub at stock suspension height, but they are narrower (235s) so i don't recommend them for summer hiway driving although offroad they do pretty well.

don't forget any increase in tire size is also a decrease in braking power the same percentage as the decrease in torque to the ground. regearing cannot fix this. only thing you can do is go to big brake kit or more agressive pads/shoes. you'll notice this when towing that 5x8 trailer if it's loaded.

also, 4x4 cost about twice as much to regear due to front diff labor and materials and, as mentioned, r and ps are difficult to find in the ratio you want for the different years. 4:56 is the most commonly available aftermarket size (read affordable) above the 3.91 and 4:10 available from toyota. 4:30's only available from toyota at high price unless you can find good set used.

all that said, don't forget about the hit to gas mileage if you go wider with taller road stance and more unsprung weight. even if you regear. sounds like a lot of work, money and negative effects just to fill your wheel well. since you drive mostly on road, i don't see much of a performance advantage.

all that considered, yes the tundra does look good with bigger tires. ;-)

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
The Tru-speed will work on early and late model Tundras, they just have to be connected in a different fasion than the 00 and 01, that's all.

They work flawlessly, if you are nice to Mustang, he will give you the connection points and how to on the Tru-speed based on your model year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts