Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the actual GPS antenna is located on trucks that have the Nav system? Found some documentation that showed it on the dash near the steering wheel, however I be darn if I can find it. I know the GPS indicator in the Nav unit goes away in about 10 seconds when you go into an underground garage, so I should be able to put a magazine over locations around there and have it go away, in theory that is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Right in front of steering wheeel on dash next to windshield little round button...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I dont have nav. but I do have that same little button. I thought that was for the "auto headlights" feature. To let the car know its dark out and turn on the head lights.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right in front of steering wheeel on dash next to windshield little round button...

That little button is indeed the auto dimmer for the headlights, covering it up does not remove the GPS from the Nav system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But did it turn on the lights when you covered it up?

You are going to need something more than a magazine to block the satellite signal. Try something with copper in/on it to block the signal. Paper doesn't block a radio wave very well. You need something metal, copper will work the best. Maybe a bag of pennies wold work.
The auto dimmer button does dim the interior dash lights when covered up, usually within 10 seconds or so. Placing a large cookie sheet over this button or any other part of the dash or windshield does not take the GPS indicator away from the Nav system, however pulling into my garage does, so it appears that the GPS antenna is indeed hidden.

One atta-boy for who first finds it and posts where it is.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is where my Sat antenna is located on mine with Nav.Oops, that is my XM antenna, sorry.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Isn't it built into the NAV/Audio Unit itself?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't it built into the NAV/Audio Unit itself?
Maybe, however covering the entire area of the Nav Unit with a cookie sheet does not block the signal to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was kinda wondering that myself. Maybe he's afraid "Big Brother" is keeping tabs on him and tracking his movements. :clown:
Naw, just curious as to where it was. Was waiting in the truck for the wife to come back from the ATM one day and tried to find it by covering up parts of the dash and had no luck. You know once you try something, gotta find the answer or it bugs you.

It is kind of interesting that a 12" x 18" cookie sheet over the now known antenna location still allows a signal thru somehow.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
It is kind of interesting that a 12" x 18" cookie sheet over the now known antenna location still allows a signal thru somehow.
I have the Nav system and it appears that my GPS symbol is on even while in a closed garage. On my last Nav system the GPS signal would turn off. I just tried the diagnostics that were posted here and the signal appears to be updating even while in the garage.? Pretty powerful antenna.:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
i kno this is an old tread but the gps ant is right behind the cluster bolted to the underside of the dash 2 8mm screws hold the plate in place

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2012 non jbl gps antenna is mounted under the dash skin 10" or so straight back from the the right corner of the gauge cluster behind a foam block. Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts