Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a bracket of sorts to mount a portable GPS unit (Garmin Nuvi) in the truck. I have found these two and wonder if anyone else has any other ideas.

Proclip

Crutchfield

The proclip option is fairly expensive (a two piece option) and the crutchfield bracket has no pictures, thus I don't know where it goes.

I would like to get some sort of bracket and hard wire the unit into the dash somehow. Politicians in California have decided that I am in too much danger should I use a windshield suction cup and has outlaw'd them.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That proclip looks terrible!

Proclip

The proclip option is fairly expensive (a two piece option) and the crutchfield bracket has no pictures, thus I don't know where it goes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I bought somthing similar to the proclip off ebay for my Garmin gps that mounts to the vent...bad Idea though, I thought I would'nt mind that vent being blocked since I bought it in the winter. Well today it got to about 85-90 in Orange today and it really sucked having that vent blocked.

There is also a company that makes a unit that bolts to the passenger front seat bolt that comes up using the same bendable wire w/ the loom around it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the replies.

That panavise looks like a great product - I wonder if it would be a bit low for GPS purposes.

The picture of the crutchfield part looks at a proper height - it is on the other side of the dash, but I don't think that is too big of a deal.

Thanks again for the replies.

Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Chris,
Your hand held GPS requires an unobstructed view of the sky. It works best when mounted as far forward under the windshield as possible. I use the Garmin suction mount and the only obstruction is my view of the hood. It is difficult enough to see the GPS unless it is located in front of the driver and nearly impossible when wearing sun glasses. It wouldn’t take much to modify a suction mount so that it can be attached to the plastic trim on the left side of the windshield. That should satisfy the politicians.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts