Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Now that I have removed the rear badges, switched over to synthetic oils, Xeon light bulbs for the front and fog.........all thanks to this great board for the information :)

My next mod is the GPS+DVD system for the sequoia.

Open to any suggestion/idea of where to look for? whos the contact? pro and con of different brand names, Im willing to give up the indash 3 in 1 for a pop up touch screen of GPS and DVD intergrated if necessary.......

Would appreciated much of any information provided.

TIA.

Frank.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven't decided to do anything that expensive (yet!), but I've done the other stuff you mentioned. Advice--lose the side badges, too! If you like the clean look on the back with just the "T" symbol left, you'll love getting rid of the "boat anchor" emblems on the side!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just love the clean look with all the rear badges removed and if the sides is just as easy to take off, its going to be off this weekend. I was not sure about it when I did the back.

Btw, what size of tires do you have on your now? I was thinking about 285/60/18 but dont know if it would rub? havent heard from anyone from the board yet........How does the blue dome light do? <duno about that mod> :)

Frank.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I kinda cheated on the wheels. They ARE Enkeis, and look nice, but they're stock size with stock tires, and came from Southeast Toyota. I did get my dealer to throw them in, though, because I didn't like the stock alloys and didn't want to buy new wheels/tires right away.

The blue dome light looks great. It still puts out plenty of light, and everyone comments on it. I even changed the courtesy lights inside the doors to blue bulbs. I haven't found one for the rear dome light, yet, though--it's different. I just have to mess with stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
frank,

click on this thread Sequoia: Tires and Wheels 285/60/18s will probably rub though. might want to go for 265/60/18s.

in regards to your navi questions. i've only heard of folks installing Alpine systems. haven't heard any good or bad opinions on them, but seems as if most people lean towards Alpine when getting a navi.

Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,

Thanks for all the info. I will certainly look into it. Another option is portable gps, you could move it from car to car but the draw back is small screen........cant win them all I guess :)

Frank.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I have a Garmin GPS III+. It's a portable unit that I mount to a bracket above the rear view mirror -- the bracket is mounted on the "sunglass holder". It works beautifully and gives me a moving map display -- works great for cross country trips.

That being said, there are better ways to do it. With a hand-held unit, the screen is a bit small. Mounted up high, my bi-focal glasses don't work with well with it. A good in-dash unit would be more easily used, especially by a passenger.

On the other hand, I use the same unit in my wife's Sequoia, and I use it as a real "hand-held" unit while hunting.

It's only money ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Frank,

I have the Pioneer Avic -9DVD nav system, and it works really well, much better than the cd based nav system in the bmws,it calculates and recalculates routes very quickly, and i am very happy with the nav system, however, there is one thing that you have to be aware of is that the head unit that i am using it with, pioneer avxp7300dvd does not have a volume control on the front panel, when i have first used the system, it is very fustrating, then i pick up the steering wheel remote, and then it is much more convenient, i believe that the newer 2002 model have the volume control built into the front panel.

I have use the system extentively 2 wks ago going down to LA, and it is fantastic, along with the dvd, tape, and game playing capability, it really makes any long trip fun and time goes by alot faster, generally, when we make long trips, all the passengers fell asleep along the way and that leaves the driver all alone.

I have taken some pictures but don't know how to post it, perhaps with some help, i can show what i have, currently, i have the 5 channels[ 5.1 digital minus the .1 at this time] running, waiting for the sub installation, i think i blew out the driver's front speakers, so i will have to have new speakers, anybody got any ideas of good speakers?
Back to the nav system, i have research the currently market extensively, and if i have to do it all over again, i would pick the Kenwood unit with the nav[ touch screen panelKVT-911dvd], seems to be the most user friendly as far as ergonomic and ease of use, although life span of the screen could be a bit of a concern, but the nav gps system is also awesome. for the folks living in the southland, i stopped by the kenwood outlet close by Disneyland, visible from 101, they have the KVT-910 for 1699, and also great prices on some of their current and last yrs equipment.
Pioneer nav is up there with the Kenwood, again, the downside is the lack of volume control on the headunit that i chose, but if you use it with a separate screen as a standalone system, then it's fine. {Again, i think that their 2002 models are better}
Alpine also makes some great headunits and their nav system is also great, but not quit up there with the pioneer and kenwood.
There are also a sprinkle of other smaller manufacturers of gps systems that maybe fine, but generally with the large manufacturers, you can get repair and replacement parts easier.
In a nut shell, make sure to try out different units, which maybe difficult to do, the most important being ease of going to different parts of the system, software interface, i find the current generation of electronics have layers and layers of menus, such as in order to change the tone frequencies, you have to drop the menu bar, then choose the equalizer menu, and from there, choose the different frequencies, then so on and so forth,etc.
I guess i like to turn the knob and get what i wanted, as at times it becomes very fustrating!!
Sorry for the long post, as anybody in the market for the gps and\dvd system should be aware of the complexity and demands of the system that they are interested in as it is expensive and you just cannot modify the equipment as easily as in a home environment.
The typical cost for a good dvd nav system is approx. $2,000, then you have to add either a head unit with built in screen or a standalone screen, installation extra.
One more thing, if you don't go anywhere far or unfamilar territory, then you don't really need it, and it 's not foolproof, as even it will takes you to your destination thru weird routes.

Overall, you will like it, but like computers, the better the unit, the steeper the learning curve!!

Wilson

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Wilson and DJ for the informative posts.

I will look into the Kenwood line more the next time Im at a different shop, last time they tried to talk me into getting the hand held Megelan (spelling?) just that the screeen is too small for this old eyes.....

Thanks a bunch guys :))))

Frank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts