Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip to Baja with my '06 Tundra DC 4x4 I experienced difficulties in relatively mild off-road situations where the brakes were ultra sensitive, almost grabby at very low speeds. This causes problems when trying to slowly work over large rocks or whatever where you work the throttle and brake together.

Also, when stopping quickly from highway speeds I have experienced significant brake fade before I get the truck stopped with only a couple of dirt bikes in the back.

Now I am a true Toyota bigot and love their vehicles, but I think they have tried to mask the inadequate brakes on this truck (brake fade) by extra brake boost which has caused my initial problem (grabby at slow speed).

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? I am thinking of trying metallic pads/shoes which normally will act the opposite of the symptoms I have described (heavy pedal at slow speeds [not grabby] and less as they get hotter [less fade]). Any comments? Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
756 Posts
it sounds like you need to adjust the back stars in your drums. Your fronts are working too hard because the back is out of adjustment. Whenever mine feels grabby ( good way to describe it ) I crank on the e-brake while my foot is still on the brake pedal, let go of the regular brake and back up 5-10 feet with the e-brake on. This should give you some results but from what you describe you might want to pull the rubber cover off the back of the drums and adjust right at the star. Do a search I guess if you over tighten the star your screwed. It is an adjustment issue, that's all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts