Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a listing of where they have found grease fittings on an 05 Tacoma. Since I'll be under there changing the oil tonight, I plan on giving her a few squirts of lube as well. :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
For sure the driveline should have some at the U-joints and slip joints. I would suspect all the front end parts are sealed. Just look around for the grease zerks ... they are either there or not. ;)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
goldmember said:
Anyone have a listing of where they have found grease fittings on an 05 Tacoma. Since I'll be under there changing the oil tonight, I plan on giving her a few squirts of lube as well. :D
I finally got around to changing the oil yesterday. Thanks for the reminder on greasing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to see you finally made it here? How many miles do you have? I changed mine 3k. And then went to the 5k miles that manual calls for. So I changed it again at 8k miles. Switched over to sythentic now.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this is a first for me...adding synthetic that is. I've never owned a car for more 50k miles. I get bored with them easily. Even if I like the car. Now that I own a house and getting married, I need to be a little more money conscious. The future wife tells me I need to keep this truck for 10 years. Ouch. Because she gets the next new car. I think I'll go out of my mind owning a car for ten years.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well i just crawled under my XRunner to try and grease the Driveshaft. I found zero zerks on the shaft anywhere...so Maybe they went sealed on the shaft this year also..I am glad cause that was always a pain in the ass on the old truck

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
According to the manual and the pictures (05)
There are no zerk fittings. 2wd/4wd/access cab or double cab. The zerks are not labeled in the picture. Previous years were.
But as TS members have pointed out , there are zerk fittings on the 4wd's only, as like previous years.
2WD=no
4WD=yes
:ts:

·
Registered
623 Posts
mustang67408 said:
According to the manual and the pictures
There are no zerk fittings. 2wd/4wd/access cab or double cab.
Unless I am blind man..I was under there spinning the driveshaft and didnt see anything....

OOPS I read it wrong...yes I am blind then...hahahahahahaha

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
goldmember said:
Glad to see you finally made it here? How many miles do you have? I changed mine 3k. And then went to the 5k miles that manual calls for. So I changed it again at 8k miles. Switched over to sythentic now.
Changed the oil at 2700 miles. Will change it again around 5000 and every 3000 thereafter. Been following that procedure for my other cars and had no engine problems.

Thanks for the heads up on the forum :tu:

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is off subject but I know guys that work at/for TRD and they swear by Castrol GTX. They have told me that they have seen multiple failures using synthetic but never a failure using dino oil. I am using GTX in my cars and dirtbikes from now on. Can't beat the price!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
mustang67408 said:
According to the manual and the pictures (05)
There are no zerk fittings. 2wd/4wd/access cab or double cab.
Victor, I was under mine today wheeling around on a creeper putting on running boards. Just for kicks I checked my driveshaft and I did find grease fittings at all u-joints on both shafts. Mine was made 12/04, so I don't know if they stopped or started before the manual was made.

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
Johnny Law said:
Victor, I was under mine today wheeling around on a creeper putting on running boards. Just for kicks I checked my driveshaft and I did find grease fittings at all u-joints on both shafts. Mine was made 12/04, so I don't know if they stopped or started before the manual was made.
I personnaly have not been under a 4x4 yet to look. But i trust you :tu:
The pics in the manual dont show any. They show the shaft, the joints and everything has a descrpition, except the zerk fittings. The older models showed the zerk fittings in the pictures and they were labeled.
I am glad someone has the right info :tu:
So it is the same as previous years
2wd=no
4wd= yes
I stand corrected, :ts:
I'll post the pics I saw tomorrow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey how many pumps of grease into the zerks. I've read 6 to 8 to until it seeps out of the u joint. Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
I owned my own service center for 15+ years and I've yet to hear one documented case where synthetic oil was the cause of a engine failure. This is simply not true...synthetic oil outperforms dino oil in every aspect. This has been documented time after time. Additionally, why do you think there are now some 'high performance' vehicles come installed with synthetic oil right from the factory?..seems to me these manufactures certainly understand the advantages of synthetic over dino.
This is off subject but I know guys that work at/for TRD and they swear by Castrol GTX. They have told me that they have seen multiple failures using synthetic but never a failure using dino oil. I am using GTX in my cars and dirtbikes from now on. Can't beat the price!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts