Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally finished my project and I am happy with the results. What do you think? I started out by just making the grill, but I wasn't happy with how see through it looked. From far away you couldn't tell I had even installed a grill. All you saw was the radiator and horns. So to make it look better I fiqured I would try and mount some lights behind it. I wasn't sure they would fit but with some tinkering I got them too. Just barely though. Since I work at Baja Designs I have access to a lot of different light parts. This is half Soltek half Hella light. Our standard Soltek 8" Lapaz is just a little to deep to fit. By using our Lapaz frame, Hella lens and one of our older ring kits I was able to just squeeze them in there.
I made the grill from some aluminum diamond mesh I bought off ebay. Cutting the grill to the right size and getting it to fit properly was a pain in the butt. I finished off the grill with some rubber channeling so it wouldn't scratch the paint.
Fabbing up the light brackets required a little more work. I welded some flat stock and a couple light tabs that I had laying around. They bolt up using the upper radiator support and horn mounting holes. The upper portion of the bracket required some drilling to the radiator support rail. Since the support rail is undulated I had to use a bunch of washers between the bracket and rail for the bracket to sit level. All in all everything came together the way I wanted it too. For those who want to try it you will need a lot time and patience but in the end it's worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I like it. From a thread here I recently learned of the Defiant light bar and installed it trying to find a cleaner look, but yours retains all the lines of the stock truck. If you had used the Hella Black Magic lens the lights would be a little more subtle. I'm interested in how you made the grill.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey that looks nice.Great Job

·
Mod formerly known as tpgn00
641 Posts
Very nice and clean install.:tu:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Looks great! Want to do mine?:D

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Looks good. FYI I bought that same mesh material at Escondido metal supply or Ducco and it is extremly cheap if you just get it out of the scrap pile. I think $.25 per pound.

Are they standard or HID?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Looks good man! I bet that took alot of time, just keep an eye on your temp guage, I doubt it will effect it though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments.
I've had the lights on the truck for a couple weeks and haven't seen an increase in engine temp. Since the new grill has alot less surface area than the factory grill, even with the lights the radiator is getting much more air flow to it.
The lights I used are just halogens. I tried running hids but the ignitor on the back of the bulb would have hit the radiator. :cry:
To make the grill I started out by cutting a cardboard templet to the shape of the grill opening. Then I traced the shape to the wire mesh and cut it out. It was not perfect and required a lot more trimming to get it to look right. If you screw up trimming the rubber channel can help hide your errors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Does the grill mesh affect light output at all?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Which rubber channeling did you use? Where did you get it? Brand? :ts:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
all i can say is.....SWEET !! :tu:
from everyones response it looks like you could make some extra $$$ on the weekends fabbing these up for people! it does look good!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the channeling from Mcmaster Carr. I believe the part number is 8510K19. I ordered about 15ft just in case I screwed up. The grill does have an affect one the light output but it's still very bright.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Looks great, like a stock option, well doen.

Question, do those lights put out much heat? I ask for fear they might melt or burn the grill. ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts