Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a test drive in an 07 on saturday absolutly loved it, hoped in my 06 after and thought this is a POS. but when I was on snow and would give it gas to cause tire slipage I would here this awful grinding in the front end. It didn't sound good, has anyone heard this noise is it normal? after I was thinking maybe it's VSC or somthing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yup... that's the sound of ABS/TRACS/VSC working like its intended. Its very normal. I can only describe it as a grinding and clicking noise. Its disconcerting the first time you hear it, but its doing what it should.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It does sound very harsh. I just noticed it myself (first snow). Seems to come from front passenger side wheel or under the hood. I wonder what part of the system makes that niose.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went for a test drive in an 07 on saturday absolutly loved it, hoped in my 06 after and thought this is a POS. but when I was on snow and would give it gas to cause tire slipage I would here this awful grinding in the front end. It didn't sound good, has anyone heard this noise is it normal? after I was thinking maybe it's VSC or somthing.
I started a thread yesterday asking about the same thing. I called the dealership and others on here confirmed. Its the LSD on your truck. It coincides with the ABS system on the truck. Loud as heck but works great!

·
Registered
24 Posts
New To The Site.. Just Purchased A New 2007 Dbl Cab 100 Miles On It...has The 3" Levelling Kit, Total Trd Pkg 305's Bf Gdrich All Terrains Really Awesome Pkg.. Love The Truck However I Was One Of The Unfortunate Ones With The "rumblestrip Tranny Issue" Turns Out It Was A Faulty Torque Converter Box.. @1300 Miles Replaced By Dealer That Was "unaware Of This Issue" Now I Have It Back And Like Many Postings Here Just Got 1st Snow.. Wanted To Spin The Wheels A Little Like Our Brother In Minnesota. In 2 Wheel Drive Mind You. Gassed It The Lsd And Abs Flash On Everything Seems To Be Kicking In Correctly But The "god Awful" Noise Under Neath Sounds As If The Engine The Tranny The 4wd All Colliding At Once..sounds As If The Bottom Is Going To Fall Out Of It..much Different Thatn The Rumble Strip Tranny Deal..actually Sounds Like A Tremdous Amt Of Damage Is Going On To The System..sounded Like My Dads Old Chevy 81' Silverado When The Front End Would Not Engage When I Was In The Deep Stuff?? Hopefully Nothing Wrong But To Call This Normal Sounds A Little Odd.. Only Does It When In The Lowest Gear In 2wd When Your Really Making The "snow Fly" If You Get Me!!! Absolutely Love The Truck But Wish I Didn't Have This Trouble...neighbor Has A Scaled Down Verson...might Ask Him To See If His Is Doing The Same...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised with the VSC and/or trac control. Here in D.C. we just had our first snow/ice and I had the chance to try it out. I've never had a vehicle with this system so it took a little to get used to.
Sounds horrible, but man, It works great!:tu:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I was in the sand dunes. Sounded nasty, especially when braking. thanks for everyone telling me that it's doing what is is supposed to do.

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you really want to hear it working, push the trac button once so the LSD is operational and then try to do some doughnuts in the parking lot...the VSC is beeping and the VSC system is using the actuators to keep you where you are steering :devil: Fun stuff though! It'd be more fun if I could activate the ALSD without TRAC...

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome To The Forums Tundra Gus. Noticed This Too, Maybe It's The Sound Of The ABS System Trying To Control Wheel Slippage. It's Really The Only Vibration I've Ever Felt Through The Brake Pedal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts