407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not MY rear end but my trucks rear end... here are the details:

2006 DC
3/1 leveling kit - Add a Leaf not Block
285/65/18's
4X2
LSD

this grinding feeling ONLY happens with I'm a a complete stop, my wheels are turned at least 50% and I ease on the gas peddle... not accelerating fast but a slow crawl.

It happens for about 2-3 seconds and when my turn is done, it goes away.

I've heard/read horror stories that the rear end on 1gen's dont hold up all that well with even 33's... could this is a bearing or axle seal or is it more series like a rear diff/LSD issue?

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Have you changed the diff lube recently? I so, did you put LSD additive in it? Someone at work changed the lube in our service truck and forgot to put additive. The diff sounded like it was going to explode during low speed turns. If an axle seal is leaking, there will be oil dripping from the brake drum and slung around the inside of the tire/wheel. A bad bearing should make noise all the time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you changed the diff lube recently? I so, did you put LSD additive in it? Someone at work changed the lube in our service truck and forgot to put additive. The diff sounded like it was going to explode during low speed turns. If an axle seal is leaking, there will be oil dripping from the brake drum and slung around the inside of the tire/wheel. A bad bearing should make noise all the time.
ever done that... maybe I need to flush it out?

what product do you recomend?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic lube. It already has friction modifiers in it, but you may need to add more. The local parts store should have tubes of it. Drain the old lube. Refill with the 75-90, but leave room incase you have to add FM. Drive around and do several figure 8s. If it is still chattering, you will need to add FM. I would only add about 2oz at a time, and then test drive again. Repeat until the chatter stops. It is possible to add too much and affect the performance of your LSD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts