Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all! Recently purchased a 2008 Double Cab and just noticed while sitting in truck for about a minute after shutting it off, a low kinda groaning noise coming from under driver's side (I think) dash. Everything's working ok, I can only imagine it might be vacuum-related(?). In perhaps a separate issue, have also noticed that the volume of air moving thru the vents while fan is on high leaves a lot to be desired........not very powerful at all. Is that a common issue with 2nd Gen Tundras? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Re: "groaning" noise coming from under dash a minute after shutting off truck

I have never had an issue with insufficient air flow through the vents on any 2nd Gen. Tundra. While the truck is running in park, with the E Brake on, turn on the A/C and check to see if there is air coming out of the heater/floor vents. You may have a blend door issue causing the flow to be lessened at the dash vents. Not sure if that would cause the noise that you are experiencing though. My 2014 Tundra does make a brief noise after turning the engine off, but I have heard that was the AIP purging itself of any moisture.

If you have not already done so: Check the cabin air filter to make sure that it is not plugged up with leaves, dirt, etc. Trucks that are parked outside and under trees especially will have the filter plug up more quickly than those that are garaged. A dirty cabin filter will restrict the air flow quite a bit.

·
Registered
102 Posts

My 2012 DC does it too. My girlfriend says it "mooooooo"s. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Fuel tank vapor leak test?
Servo-operated vent dampers moving to a default position?

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts

Halloween's coming. Could be the Voice of Doom.

Several brands of cabin filters are available from RockAuto.com. Inexpensive + nearly instant shipping.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
55 Posts

My 2008 CM does it as well. it sounds like it is coming from the transmission. it started doing it after about 4 years of buying it.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Does the groaning noise coincide with using the AC?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for replies, folks, still haven't figured it out. Yeah, it does kinda "moo...."
Noise doesn't coincide with AC use. And FL_TUNDRA thanks, I did check the cabin air filter, it did have some dirt buildup, and will be replaced. In the meantime I cleaned hell out of it but it doesn't appear it's the cause of the restricted airflow. Next will be to check the blend door(s).

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same issue on my 2010 Tundra.

I believe it's a vent that's closing behind the dash that is used for heating/ac..

Try this:

Turn radio off
Turn heat on and set the air to come out the front dash vents..wait 3 mins
Change it to go out of the window only, or the floor vents only...you should hear it..

Then once the truck is shut off after 2 mins it then closes the vents.

Let me know if you can replicate..I can.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts

My 2013 DC has done it since new. I never thought it to be a problem. Heck it doesn't even register to my ears anymore.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

I cant say for some earlier years but the 2012 and above the AIP's cycle each time you shut the truck off. Supposed to be a way of reducing moisture build up as these things are really prone to rusting and failing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever figure this out?

I have a 2011 DC that makes the "groaning" noise when the engine is started and 1-2 minutes after turning off. Funny thing is, I noticed the other day that my wife's 2015 Corolla does the same thing (not as loud, though).

My cousin (work in the parts department at a Toyota dealership) suggested it was the doors in the air system opening and wasn't really an issue other than the annoyance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts