Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove a 2007 SR5 4X4 DC TRD 5.7 all day today! Pretty Nasty truck but was expecting it to be faster. Drives good not as smooth as my 05 DC but man i love the exterior and interior in a whole different league than my truck. The six speed not that smooth and the sport shift is a joke. It's kind of funny i floored the 07 from a dead stop to 70mph and then did the same in my 05 and my friend thinks my 05 pulled harder? this is coming from a guy that has 69 Dodge Dart gts w/ 383 BB and a 96 Mustang cobra W/bolt ons kind of crazy?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Drove a 2007 SR5 4X4 DC TRD 5.7 all day today! Pretty Nasty truck but was expecting it to be faster. Drives good not as smooth as my 05 DC but man i love the exterior and interior in a whole different league than my truck. The six speed not that smooth and the sport shift is a joke. It's kind of funny i floored the 07 from a dead stop to 70mph and then did the same in my 05 and my friend thinks my 05 pulled harder? this is coming from a guy that has 69 Dodge Dart gts w/ 383 BB and a 96 Mustang cobra W/bolt ons kind of crazy?
First post?

Hmm, smells funny!

·
Registered
132 Posts
A Lexus LS460 will do 0-60 in 5.6s. But I guarantee, if you floored it, it'd feel more like 7-8s because the engine is so smooth and the cabin so well isolated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah I smell something as well....

·
Registered
457 Posts
iF YOU WANNA LINE THAT 05 UP WITH MY 07 WE CAN SEE REAL QUICK WHICH TRUCK PULLS HARDER.:D
Ever notice that when you are going 100mph in an old junker it seems real fast, because of the noise and it's tossing you around a llot, well that's what you felt in the 05. (not to imply your 05 is a junker but you know what I mean)

·
Banned
888 Posts
What a joke ........
Drove an 07 "All Day" ? "LIAR"
05 Pulling Harder ? Wanna do a bumper pull with my 07 ?
Trans doesnt shift smooth ?:rolleyes:
SQ Shift a joke ?:rolleyes:

That guy is proof crack doesnt smoke its self !
Put the pipe down guy and back away real slow.........

:ts: for the laugh dipstick.

·
Registered
699 Posts
What a joke ........
Drove an 07 "All Day" ? "LIAR"
05 Pulling Harder ? Wanna do a bumper pull with my 07 ?
Trans doesnt shift smooth ?:rolleyes:
SQ Shift a joke ?:rolleyes:

That guy is proof crack doesnt smoke its self !
Put the pipe down guy and back away real slow.........

:ts: for the laugh dipstick.
:D I fell to the floor and busted my gut laughing. That is classic!:D

·
Registered
595 Posts
TNK

What is so great about the seq. shifting? It seems like a joke to me too. It nothing more than anyone else has (but it is packaged nicer). It's not like you can actually shift it fully manual, the computer still controls the transmission. You get to play as long as it's within the computer's rules.

I'm new to this board but I've noticed that there is a serious Toyota superiority complex around here. If someone gives praise to a Tundra everyone agrees with them. If someone points out something they don't like or don't think is the best ever, they get jumped. What is the big deal if this new Tundra isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread? Big deal. No one vehicle can be everything to every one.

I chose the Tundra as a tool for my hobby. It's a vehicle that can move my cargo from race to race. Is it the absolute best tool in the drawer? No! It's the compromise tool I choose to use. It's a very nice truck and I'm generally pleased with it. Is it perfect in every way? Not a chance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
A Lexus LS460 will do 0-60 in 5.6s. But I guarantee, if you floored it, it'd feel more like 7-8s because the engine is so smooth and the cabin so well isolated.
The LS460 has a 4.6 engine and puts out 380hp and 367 ft/lbs of torque. It is the largest litre engine Lexus offers. It's just tweaked more for near maximum performance. You can do the same with any 4.7 or 5.7 VVT-i engine.

I own an '06 DC 4x4, and test drove an '07 5.7 DC 4x2 SR5. Both offer very smooth "Lexus Like" transmissions. What's amazing with the '07 is the gas mileage people are getting for the performance.

That to me is the more important engineering feat compared to which truck pulls harder. When I floor my '06, it pulls plenty hard. I can also expect single digit fuel economy. No thanks. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll have whatever he's having. ^^^^ Sure must be a good buzz.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I do not think the SQ is a joke.. it is a wonderful companion in the snow to engine brake and maintain stability. When I am in 4x4 in the snow, you will not find me anywhere but in S.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm new to this board but I've noticed that there is a serious Toyota superiority complex around here. If someone gives praise to a Tundra everyone agrees with them. If someone points out something they don't like or don't think is the best ever, they get jumped. What is the big deal if this new Tundra isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread? Big deal. No one vehicle can be everything to every one.
I agree 110% ! Sharks I tell you!:D Just wait until yet another magazine picks the Silverado as a better truck..:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keyword "MY friend" I didn't say That I thought it felt faster, i know the 2007 tundra is faster 282hp to 381hp come on now! a 500lb difference doesn't matter, 07 tundra wins hands down performance. sport shift is still a joke!! because it doesn't shift when tell it too. i drove a Hyundai sonata that sport shift worked better. And yes i did drive one all day, ever heard of a rental? I do love the truck but can't justify spending 32-36k.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Your using your truck for something the SQ shifter isn't needed for.
Straightline Performance and Towing are two different applications,no need to argue opinions and variants of each within the computers rules.Theres is better performance results from understanding where the limits are and working(user interaction) with-in those parameters.Unless I'm wrong about what I'm experiencing while using the SQ shifter ?Did Toyota just add the option as a video-game interaction mode to their fancy 6 sp.?
Granted the parameters need to be unlocked before any real gains are made in the "control" dept.

As for the "Superiority Complex" name one thing that isn't governed by such ?
Your home State,Sports teams,Consumer items in general.
Im sorry you feel you had to "compromise" and now drive a Toyota :cry:

Clearly its the "best tool" in many "others" drawer :tu:

:ts:

TNK

What is so great about the seq. shifting? It seems like a joke to me too. It nothing more than anyone else has (but it is packaged nicer). It's not like you can actually shift it fully manual, the computer still controls the transmission. You get to play as long as it's within the computer's rules.

I chose the Tundra as a tool for my hobby. It's a vehicle that can move my cargo from race to race. Is it the absolute best tool in the drawer? No! It's the compromise tool I choose to use. It's a very nice truck and I'm generally pleased with it. Is it perfect in every way? Not a chance.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I do not think the SQ is a joke.. it is a wonderful companion in the snow to engine brake and maintain stability. When I am in 4x4 in the snow, you will not find me anywhere but in S.
That's true, but any other vehicle can select a specific gear as well. But it doesn't mean it will go there. I think where some of us might think the Seq Shift is a gimmick is that fact that we tell it what we want it to do but it does it when the computer choses. Maybe in future revisions Toyota will make it a bit more manual in operation?

·
Registered
595 Posts
TK

I don't tow 100% of the time (mostly weekends). I've used the SS in daily driving as well. It's a new toy I have to play with it. Since you obviously know way more about this than me please explain just what it will do for me that manually shifting my Chevy or Dodge wouldn't do. Seriously, maybe I'm missing something here?

I'm not a lemming or brand loyal. I have an open mind and consider many factors. Any vehicle I would have bought would have been a compromise in some aspect, not just the Tundra. As far as I know there isn't one truck that can be everything for everyone. Toyota included. Toyota has the supposed reliability/resale (07 is yet to be proven), Chevy has the Allison tranny, Dodge has the Cummins, Ford 150 has classy looks (my opinion only).

I bought the Tundra because it was the truck with the most horsepower and torque without stepping up to a 3/4 ton diesel. We pull a trailer about 25 weekends of the year. I couldn't justify the large initial investment (25% increase in price) for a diesel. I tend to get rid of vehicles too quickly to really benefit from a diesel. I also hope that the Toyota reputation for reliability proves true since it was one of the biggies that pulled me from getting a new Chevy/GMC. I must add that my recent Chevy (95K) never cost me a dime in repairs. I did have a couple things recalled under warranty though.

It's all good TK. If I ruffle your feathers because I don't think ANY truck is perfect so be it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts