Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would replacing the half shafts in my 2006 Tundra by a DIY Project? If so are there any special tools? I have a two inch lift using the Rancho Struts and after about two years of mainly on road driving have developed a low growling noise when turning which I am taking to be a cv joint because of the increase angle. I am waiting on a 1" Diff lowering kit which I will install when it arrives. Still thinking the shafts need to be replaced. Boots leaked when the struts were originally installed but corrected that using the hose clamps.:ts:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Would replacing the half shafts in my 2006 Tundra by a DIY Project? If so are there any special tools? I have a two inch lift using the Rancho Struts and after about two years of mainly on road driving have developed a low growling noise when turning which I am taking to be a cv joint because of the increase angle.

Ive read though alot of "lifted" threads and I only remember reading once where a guy broke his cv joint and he was offroading and had a older 1st gen. Hope this isnt common.......

How many miles do you have on your '06?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
80 K.... but it is a grumbling noise that sounds like a cv joint...only in a turn...when accelerating.

·
Registered
313 Posts
didn't want to start a new thread for this so i found an old one to add to. I'm in the middle of installing my adjustable 5100's, should be finished up by the end of the night (truck has been on jackstands for 2 days now. new 4WD actuator in the front diff, new A/C compressor, new fluids in both diffs) and while i have the front end apart i decided i'd put on new CV's since my boots are already throwing grease and it's not even lifted, and it's got 150K on them so what the hell, i might as well throw new ones in.

I was wondering how much i would need to disassemble to do this. Ball joint? tie rods? both?...would it be easier to undo the lower ball joints instead of the upper? i was thinking i might get a better angle if i do that. any suggestions would be great. im sure i can figure it out myself if i dont get responses but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask regardless of the short notice, a few more hours here at work and them im headed home to get started!

·
Registered
79 Posts
No need to remove the ball joint. Take out the 4 bolts under the lower joint and swing whole thing out of the way. The half shaft will pull right out with a quick jerk.

·
Registered
313 Posts
thats exactly what i did, i posted this at work and wasn't looking at the truck. once i got home i saw that and it was easy to see how simple it was. the new shafts are in, and the billy's are sitting on the top notch. she rides FANTASTIC now, i couldn't be happier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts