Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just thought I would post a quick review of these tires since there isn't much information about them available online.
I’ve only driven about 1600 miles on them so far and ironically I’ve gone through a pretty good amount of differing weather with them, though unfortunately not through any snow yet. The most amazing thing about this tire is it is absolutely silent on the road. I would have never guessed that it would be at least as quite as the OEMs they’re replacing or even better. They definitely grab onto the road VERY well and it is a little bit odd because it grips better than you would think and the “E” rating on these shows in terms of the side-wall stiffness. It makes turning actually a little more precise.
Wet weather traction is superb! The only time it shows any weakness is when the roads are just barely damp (i.e. during a drizzle), but ironically this is something that seems to be a universal weakness on almost any tire. I read that a damp road (i.e. one that is just starting to get wet as opposed to one that has been rained on for a while and is drying off) is the one of the most dangerous conditions to drive in; especially in busy areas. The reason being is that a damp road brings up the oils from below the surface to the surface and makes the road very slippery. Harder rain is actually better because it washes that stuff away.
In any case, the Hankooks were still better than OEM in this situation, but can still slide a little on hard and fast turns when the roads are just a little damp.
In deep water, it is a completely different story. I’ve driven about 3 times so far in absolutely enormous downpours in and around the DC and Maryland areas and no tire I’ve had on any vehicle has been as good as these. Not only does it absolutely plow the water out of the way (in many areas I could create waves as high as the roof-line), but you don’t get any of that resistance back in terms of the truck slowing down or feeling like you’re suddenly pushing a mountain of stuff. None. Not even when it is just one side… truck holds steady and true going forward. No hydroplaning or any "floating" feeling. Just firmly on the ground! Much of this, I’m sure is because of the open-sided tread design that allows the tire to push the water out of the way to the sides instead of just behind it.
Climbing on steep inclines in cold and hot weather is extremely easy and handling is quite precise. I’m sure the Bilsteins added to the feeling of the truck being planted on the ground, but these tires feel just like the truck is on rails… very cool feeling.
The “E” rating definitely impacts your ride though. On days where the temperature exceeds about 70F, the ride becomes notably stiffer, but I’m not getting pushed around in my seat or having my back beat up because of it. It is just that you’ll feel everything in the road a little more than before. Otherwise the ride is actually quite smooth.
So far, no signs of wear, though I wouldn’t expect to see any with this little mileage on them. Hopefully that won’t be an issue, but I’ll have to report back when I’ve had them on for a long time. If you have any questions, feel free to send them over! I’ll be happy to answer!

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I almost got those over my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. They look like a great modern tire!

Keep us updated. I could put them on my F-250 after the Goodyears wear out (which I hope is a long long long time).

·
Registered
655 Posts
2 of my techs have them on thier trucks,one is a ford f350 tow pig,the other is a tacoma 4wd "he beats the $h!t outta his truck" and they both said its an outstanding tire,they love them.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Thanks for the update! I'm glad they are working out for you, because if I remember right I pointed you in that direction. I'd feel responsible if they were terrible!!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
!Need pics of them installed on your truck!

·
Registered
598 Posts
:worthless:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I went to his threads he started to find the one from when he got the tires to find pictures, but he has started 76 threads so I'm not going through all of those!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Size and cost if you don't mind. I'll be needing tires before long.
They are 305/55r20s and I believe they cost $279 each delivered from DT. I had to get them mounted and installed at a different place because I couldn't find anyone that is local that could get them in at that price.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the update! I'm glad they are working out for you, because if I remember right I pointed you in that direction. I'd feel responsible if they were terrible!!
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly if I found out through you directly or if I just kept asking about them from those that knew about them or had experience with them. I was going to go with the SilentArmors before finding these. I eventually discovered that Hankook is like "Lexus" in South Korea -- it is a very highly-respected brand there and the reason why they are more economical here is largely because they want to establish their name. The tire market here is saturated in terms of supply, and there are a few industry giants that dominate the market here so it is difficult to break into this market.
Needless to say, whether through you or someone else or through just plain old investigation, I'll offer my thanks because it is truly an amazing tire. Absolutely fantastic! :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:worthless:
I've posted them before, but I'll post some new pictures this weekend. They look awesome! You won't be disappointed in that aspect at all; much better than they look in the pictures online!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my RF10's. we've had them on since late fall so roughly 1500 miles. They have seen some snow and used 2 wheel drive more than 4. Thought I had pics to include but must still be in my camera

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I read posts that after 10,000 miles a vibration stars on a few forums.

I am doing homework for folks for the 4runner in a p rated tire.

Anyone know why after a few miles this vibration starts and is seen around 60 m.p.h.?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some pica posted below...
(First pic was from when they were brand new... the rest are from this weekend)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I read posts that after 10,000 miles a vibration stars on a few forums.

I am doing homework for folks for the 4runner in a p rated tire.

Anyone know why after a few miles this vibration starts and is seen around 60 m.p.h.?
Not sure why this would happen, but many times the magnets that were originally placed can fall off. That is a common occurrence requiring the need for rebalancing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts