Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stop by TS, I always cruise the posts for the 1st Gen and the new Tundra. Our brethren on the new Tundra side are inquiring as to how many '07 buyers are former 1st Gen owners, or coming from another brand. One contention was that most '07 buyers are previous Tundra owners. Taking the opposite perspective, I started to wonder how many 1st Gen owners might've wanted to trade for a new truck, or had been looking forward to trading to the new truck, but were left cold by it when it finally arrived?

The lease on my '03 runs out in just a couple of months. While I think that the new '07 will be a great truck, it's just not for me. So, I'm likely going to buy my '03 off lease and hang onto it. Are there any other 1st Gen owners who feel the same way, who might've wanted to buy the new Tundra, but for some reason just can't feel the love? I'm not trying to start a flame war, because I think that someone who buys any Tundra is a smart man or lady, but I was just curious... :confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
If it weren't for money I'd dump my '04 DC like a bad habit for on '07 CM! I'd like the DC if only it were 1/8 bigger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When my lease is up in one year, I'm going to get a Tacoma access cab. I don't really need the big truck anymore. I love my DC though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I leased my '05 DC with the thought of putting some money away for a new '07 Tundra but I am thinking like you...way too much money to spend right now...especially with gas prices the way they are right now...these days better off to pull back the reins...I will owe less than 20,000 on my truck when lease is up so I will probably purchase my own used truck when lease is up...it will be worth much more than that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought my new '06 DC SR5 4x4 about 8 months ago, fully aware that the new '07s would be coming out a few months later (unlike Dave Peters :D ). I knew the '07s would be sweet, but the '06 DC fits my needs PERFECTLY (cabin size, bed size, capabilities, performance, etc)

When the '07s were finally out, I went and looked at an '07 DC. Awesome truck, but the BACK SEAT is just slightly too small for my needs. I said I'd wait until the CM came out before deciding if I'd ever get one. Well, I test drove a CM the other day. AWESOME truck. But (as has been mentioned before) the BED is slightly too small for my needs.

So, even though the '07 is a great truck and since I absolutely love my '06, I probably will NOT upgrade to an '07 and keep my '06 forever.

Unless they decide to stick a 6' or 6'5" bed on the back of the new CrewMax ;) ......

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
I'm happy! While an '07 would be nice from a cutting edge point of view, my '06 AC just fits in the garage, the price was right, it's got enough power, towing and cargo capacity for my needs. Then there's the security of a tried and true, end-of-the-run generation truck. Let the early adopters work out bugs. It makes interesting reading in the gen-2 forum. :D

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I am glad that I got my 06. I KNEW that a bigger Tundra was coming out, and the 06 Tundra IS absolutely PERFECT for ME. It IS the best truck I have ever owned.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My '06 AC is perfect for what I need a truck to be (V-8, SR5, 2wd). Having said that, the power of the new 5.7 liter is awesome! 381 horsepower could be intoxicating.

But that is the only thing I could imagine wanting the new one for. But the V-8 I have is very strong too, I can't complain.

But with horsepower, a little is good, more is better and too much is just about right.

JMHO

Dan

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I leased my truck too, and after driving it for close to three years, I had decided to buy it at the end of the lease.

My lease isn't up for another year, but my dealership said they could put me into an 07 for the same payments if I traded in September.

What to do?

I really like my 04, but that new 5.7 has me drooling, and its supposed to be better on gas too!

If there had not been a redesign, I'd stay with the 04 until the wheels fall off.

I keep asking myself if I want the new truck, and I just can't decide, so I'll wait until September and make a decision then.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I feel like Trading for an 07 reg cab, but my truck is paid for, I have it just like I want it, has 38k and its the right size, I just cant justify it, besides one reason I purchased the Tundra is it was the perfect size for me, and to keep it forever, so why change the plan just to get a larger engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I looked at some 2007s down at my dealership a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't crazy about the design, but what really got me was the price! No way I'd pay what they're asking for a crew max. If I was going to get one, I'd wait for the rebates to start showing up. I don't think the 2007s are selling that well...I've only seen two on the streets of Houston, the pickup capital of the world!

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I feel like Trading for an 07 reg cab, but my truck is paid for, I have it just like I want it, has 38k and its the right size, I just cant justify it, besides one reason I purchased the Tundra is it was the perfect size for me, and to keep it forever, so why change the plan just to get a larger engine.
Good Logic to hear. It is the same case for me. I love my 00 and it is perfect (though I still want to play with a SC if I can get it done). I just had this discussion with my brother (he is driving a 1500 Silverado and trades up about every 2 yrs and always goes top of the line). He just fell in love with the 07 and wants to trade again. He NEVER gets out of payments, though he always has the latest "version". He is not in a position yet to pay off his purchase, so he needs payments. He loves to bust me about my 00 being old.
I have to remind him, I OWN my 00 and like it that way, and it is a TOY, not a daily driver. The point, without being too off topic, everyone has different needs. Have a commercial need or personal need with a trailer out back and need more power, go for a tradeup. Just want to have the latest version of a model....IMHO, if asked, why be more in debt, if you cannot pay the cash difference. If someone has x debt in credit cards, carrying a high mortgage, and then trying to finance a truck based on "monthly payments" that is not a good way to go, IMO. My financial background forces me to look at the "wants vs needs" in these type of decisions.

Just my opinion. The 07 is slowing growing on me, but, I see no need to pull
cash or adjust my investments for a "want" when I do not need it.

As said, to each their own. The 1st Gen is great. I think the 2nd Gen will be great also. :tu:

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Good Logic to hear. It is the same case for me. I love my 00 and it is perfect (though I still want to play with a SC if I can get it done). I just had this discussion with my brother (he is driving a 1500 Silverado and trades up about every 2 yrs and always goes top of the line). He just fell in love with the 07 and wants to trade again. He NEVER gets out of payments, though he always has the latest "version". He is not in a position yet to pay off his purchase, so he needs payments. He loves to bust me about my 00 being old.
I have to remind him, I OWN my 00 and like it that way, and it is a TOY, not a daily driver. The point, without being too off topic, everyone has different needs. Have a commercial need or personal need with a trailer out back and need more power, go for a tradeup. Just want to have the latest version of a model....IMHO, if asked, why be more in debt, if you cannot pay the cash difference. If someone has x debt in credit cards, carrying a high mortgage, and then trying to finance a truck based on "monthly payments" that is not a good way to go, IMO. My financial background forces me to look at the "wants vs needs" in these type of decisions.

As said, to each their own. The 1st Gen is great. I think the 2nd Gen will be great also. :tu:
All very good points.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I absolutely agree with TennDeca, when my lease is up next year, I will be buying my truck. Nothing on the market appeals to me like my truck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I certainly have been guilty of purchasing according to my "wants" and not my "needs" before, so I know what it feels like to be tempted by the latest and greatest, shiniest new gizmo. So, it feels a bit odd to me that I'm now starting to listen to my own logic, which is telling me that I have a great truck, it's just the right size and has just the right amount of power for my needs. My old self is still trying to tell me, "get a new one!" This, even though my new found logical self is telling me, "but, you don't even like the new one that much." It's a battle, and I suspect that a number of people are moved to purchase more on emotion and "want" vs. real need. It is the American Way, after all. ;) I just hate to see people, especially young people, get into a financial sinkhole because they're never satisfied with what they have, and their debt keeps piling up and increasing exponentially, until they're in a trap they can't get out of.

I'm not real excited about paying another 3 or 4 years on something that I've already been paying on for 4 years, but at the end of this loan, I'll own the truck, and it should still be worth somewhere around $8K to $10K, and I'll have gotten my money out of it. You know, buying a new truck is sort of like having sex...it's a hell of a rush that fades quickly. :devil: So, keeping the 1st Gen is the logical and smart thing to do...for me...I think.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love my truck and bought it with the intentions of keeping it forever. I have customized it to my liking. It gets me from A to B, looks good, runs great, and will do what I want it to do. After 15 yrs or so, maybe it will be good starter car for the kids. Besides with the money I save by not getting the latest and greatest every couple years, I can get the latest and greatest when technology really has had a chance to evolve. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I too am very happy with my 1st-gen Tundra. I bought it new in May of 2001 and have enjoyed all 98,500 miles behind the wheel.

When I was in the market for a new truck, I was looking for a reg cab v8 4x4.
Unfortunately, I lived in a region that Toyota felt these trucks wouldn't sell well, so it was the 2wd v6 for me. As much as I tried, the 4x4 v8 was unavailable. Paid $17,200 out the door, paid it off in a year or so, and have enjoyed it eversince.

Not too happy about the paint though. The truck used to be Thunder grey...now, it's kinda Thunder white on the hood and roof. It still runs as well as it did when i purchased it....with 1mi. (9mi after test drive). I won't be selling this one for a long while.

2001 reg cab v6 auto

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,320 Posts
I will soon have 70K on my 2002 regular cab V8 4WD and the experience has been excellent.

I am a happy 1st generation Tundra owner :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like I said in an earlier reply to a prospective buyer, I think this is a great truck. I am thrilled to drive it every day. I look forward to a long, stable driving relationship. Just washed it today as a matter of fact.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Uhh,I love my 06 Fundra.They can keep the new one.Now that would change if Toyota puts the inline 6 diesel in.You realize the powertrain is ready to accept such an engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts