Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed that the 4th to 5th shift in my truck seems to be a bit harder than the rest of the shifts. If I give it a bit of gas while in 4th and then ease off I get a noticeable clunk when it goes into 5th. Truck is an auto btw with 47000 miles.

Am I being a paranoid new owner (only had the truck 2 weeks) or is this something to look into further. I've read about the driveline clunk but thought that it only occurs during starting/stopping?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
My truck never even goes into fifth gear...... oh wait. Never mind.

The clunk of the trans mount that affects your year of tundra is most noticeable at low speeds, when coming to a stop or leaving a stop. That doesn't exactly mean you can't notice it at higher speeds. If you still have any warranty, and I think you have the driveline warranty still, I would have a Toyota Dearlership take a look at it. If it is an issue that they can cover as a TSB or just a warranty issue, it will save you some cash and catching it now can save you getting stranded. At 47k miles, you shouldn't be having any trouble, that's practically a new truck.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
What year is your Tundra? I had a 2002 that did the same thing - and my dealer told me it was my tranny. I guess they have fragile planetary gears - and its a sign its about to go. Drive with overdrive off as much as you can if this is the case. I believe 2000-2003's were affected by the fragile planetary transmission gears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2000 to 2002 have issues. 2003 and 2004 were beefed up and are direct transmission swaps into 2000 - 2002. My 2000 tranny fragged last Thursday after 267,000 miles of good service. It was shifting hard into O/D the past few months and I have been trying to really baby it, but it gave up the ghost last week. Found an 03/04 with 30k miles on the tranny that should be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday. 47k is low miles, but I guess the 2000 - 2002's can blow a tranny at any time. I would echo rchaney99 that you should drive with the overdrive off as much as possible, especially if you are in rolling hills or towing anything where the tranny keeps shifting in and out of O/D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies people. Taking the truck to the dealer next week to have the ball joint recall done so I'm gonna mention this "issue" to them and see what they say. I've got the 7 yr/100000 mile powertrain warranty so I should be good to go.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
From the way you said going into fifth gear, I thought your truck was an 05-06 model.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I thought so, those don't have the same issues with the weak planetary gear like the early years did, at least as far as I know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts