Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first of all want to thank the contributors to this forum. I have learned so much :tu: . I am also one of these guys trying to decide between the crewmax LTD or the Sierra SLT (I really liked the look of the Titan but after test driving, for me I was not impressed). I am finishing off a lease with my current Sierra which has been a good truck for me. I bought my wife last May a RAV 4 (V6 limited) and she just loves it. So here we go: they both drive really nice and I look the looks of both. I am planning to buy and hold long term this time so I do have a concern with GM quality. However I have read that the new platform for GM has made a marked improvement on quality. Finally the question. In your experience with Toyotas first year new vehicles, have they generally held up in quality. I guess the example I am thinking of is the Titan. From all accounts it took at least 1.5 years before they worked out the bugs. I appreciate your feedback. It is a big financial decision to spend over $50000 cdn on a vehicle.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't really think you can go wrong with either. If I were in your shoes and you honestly like both trucks, then it would pretty much come down to the price and how many MPG each truck gets.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I agree, it's personal preference. They're both all-new models and the Toyota might have a slight disadvantage since it's being built in an all new plant as well, but Toyota at least "claims" to be hell-bent on quality since they've been bitch-slapped over the last couple years with rounds of recalls and quality issues. If I had to buy one today, I would probably go for the Sierra myself, but it's mainly a preference thing. The 5.7L is more motor than I need in a 1/2 ton and my previous 5.3L did better on fuel than my 4.7L Tundra. I personally like the way the GM trucks drive as well.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There's already a HUGE thread about this as well as impresions from those of us that have driven both.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Personally I think the two big differences between the two truck are overall engine performance and interior quality.

The Tundra flat out blows away the Sierra in almost all the acceleration and power tests. Fuel economy between the two trucks should be similar.

Interior quality, however, IMO GM has the Tundra beat.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Personally I think the two big differences between the two truck are overall engine performance and interior quality.

The Tundra flat out blows away the Sierra in almost all the acceleration and power tests. Fuel economy between the two trucks should be similar.

Interior quality, however, IMO GM has the Tundra beat.
Read the other thread because it doesn't have a better interior than the new Tundra.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm a long time Toyota owner but I'd have to say that I'm impressed with the all new Sierra. As a matter of fact I went out on Saturday and checked them out in person.
I really like the clean lines of the Sierra inside and out. The interior design/quality blows away the Tundra by far.
Thumbs up for the GMC Sierra :tu:

·
Registered
249 Posts
For me, now having experienced both Tundra and GM trucks, it would come down to the details:

- fuel mileage is not known to be great on Tundras. My 03 was a pig at 12 mpg (4.7 L V8 4wd) . There has been plenty of discussion on this, and I think the word on the street is that Toyota opted for the big motor/muscle, and forewent economy.

- what you need to do with the truck. For example, the Limited slip differential in the GM is better. Payload rating looks a bit better for GM, and my experience was the Tundra was over-rated.

- fit and trim, features, seats, ergonomics

- experience. You've had good luck with your GM truck so far.

- availability of service. My Toyota dealer was a great service provider, and they had to provide alot of service (warranty). My GM dealer is not so great, but I haven't had to be there a lot.

I think it's a tough choice for you, since both vehicles are new. The 2007 CrewMax Tundra might be "newer" for Toyota than the new series GM trucks are for GM.

I think the new Tundra looks kind of Titan-like. Good luck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I looked at the new GMs too.... cause my ford broke down in front of their dealership while I was towing my friends non running dodge. As I was testing the chevy it broke down so they sent a sierra to pick us up but it caught fire. Once my other friend got his unreliable titan to start he gave me a ride to the Toyota dealer and I bought a new Tundra.

Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same "problem" maybe a little bigger then yours, because i live in Europe the Netherlands and fullsize pickup trucks aren't officially sold here. However there are some car dealers that import these trucks directly from the US and Canada.
My current truck is a 2005 Ford F150 Lariat, which is going to be replaced by a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited 5.7 V8 or a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali Awd 6.2 V8, [SIZE=-1]6-speed automatic ( the Sierra Denali is the only GMC pickup with a 6 speed automatic)

I only have seen the trucks on paper/internet, because none of these new Toyota and GMC trucks have come to Europe.

my 2005 F150
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just because GM has a new "platform" doesn't mean reliability will be better. In fact it probably will be worse. I drove GM for years and stopped after a string of problems with 3 vehicles in a row. They had their chance with me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not to extend another comparision thread ('cause there's already at least one, I know), but I too am also in this quandry.

It sounds like you've driven both. I'm not sure if it was the particular examples I drove, or what, but the Toyota definitely provided the superior driving experience. Smooth, linear power and great steering feel and manueverability.

The Sierra had a bit more vague steering (it had factory 20" wheels, so maybe that didn't help?), and while it had a lot of power, it seemed to be a bit more herky-jerky in delivering it.

Looks-wise (interior and exterior), the Sierra gets the nod (although I found the seats more comfortable in the Tundra). I had a good look inside, outside and under both, and quality seems (at this surface level) to be similar.

I am planning on doing some towing, and the drivetrain in the Tundra seems to be superior for this application. Six-speed tranny, smooth power, superior brakes and better turning radius has pretty much made the decision Tundra.

The six-speed is obviously superior, as GM has put such a unit in their new HD trucks. I know the 1/2 ton trucks will get one "someday", but I'm buying today!

The big issue right now is the buying experience and price. Many of the Toyota dealers I've visited are stand-off-ish about options and price (sort of a "you'll get what we give you and like it" attitude). Whereas my local GMC dealer is easy to deal with on both counts.

I may just end up waiting a while and see if things settle down, but I really need a truck soon, so I may be forced to buy sooner rather than later.

Wish I could borrow each one for a month or so like the magazines!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not to extend another comparision thread ('cause there's already at least one, I know), but I too am also in this quandry.

It sounds like you've driven both. I'm not sure if it was the particular examples I drove, or what, but the Toyota definitely provided the superior driving experience. Smooth, linear power and great steering feel and manueverability.

The Sierra had a bit more vague steering (it had factory 20" wheels, so maybe that didn't help?), and while it had a lot of power, it seemed to be a bit more herky-jerky in delivering it.

Looks-wise (interior and exterior), the Sierra gets the nod (although I found the seats more comfortable in the Tundra). I had a good look inside, outside and under both, and quality seems (at this surface level) to be similar.

I am planning on doing some towing, and the drivetrain in the Tundra seems to be superior for this application. Six-speed tranny, smooth power, superior brakes and better turning radius has pretty much made the decision Tundra.

The six-speed is obviously superior, as GM has put such a unit in their new HD trucks. I know the 1/2 ton trucks will get one "someday", but I'm buying today!

The big issue right now is the buying experience and price. Many of the Toyota dealers I've visited are stand-off-ish about options and price (sort of a "you'll get what we give you and like it" attitude). Whereas my local GMC dealer is easy to deal with on both counts.

I may just end up waiting a while and see if things settle down, but I really need a truck soon, so I may be forced to buy sooner rather than later.

Wish I could borrow each one for a month or so like the magazines!

Sometimes when I am in this scenario which I was when I purchased my 07 is to throw out some figures and let them plow it over.

I told my dealer this is what I want for the truck and this is what I will take for my 03 trade. They jumped around and I left then got a call one hour later letting me know to come pick up the truck. So, with this being a new product they are calibrated to try and squeeze every nickle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The new GMC's interior already looks dated to me. It looks nice today, but it will be dated in about 2 years. The Tundra's interior, while sort of bland, is much more contemporary and will look good down the road.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The new GMC's interior already looks dated to me. It looks nice today, but it will be dated in about 2 years. The Tundra's interior, while sort of bland, is much more contemporary and will look good down the road.
That's funny, it's the exact opposite of how I feel about them. The Tundra looks blingy/titanish to me, which I expect to date more easily. The Chevy has a rather conservative, upscale look. I also like how the Chevy dash is angled toward the driver (as was the previous version I owned) which put controls much closer and easier to grab. I'm not a fan of console shifters in trucks either.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'm also pretty much in the same boat as you and actually just went last night to look at both the Silverado and the Sierra (I was hoping to find a Denali version there).
Like a few posters have said, it is difficult to go wrong with this. In terms of quality/reliability you have a few factors to consider. The first is that both are new platforms for each manufacturer. The weaknesses for the GM are its history of quality problems is worse than Toyota's and the GMT900 platform was put to market a year earlier than scheduled. The weaknesses for the Toyota is that pretty much everything is new from the top-of-the-line engine to the chassis. They are also operating from a new plant as well.
But, it isn't taking as long to resolve initial problems. Both GM and Toyota respond pretty quickly to them with fixes.
For me, I would get the Sierra at the low end and opt for the Tundra if I were going either for a strong mid-range price/feature truck or one that is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles.
If I wanted a "luxury" ride and didn't care about bragging rights or the latest technology, I would get something like a Ford F150 Harley Davidson or King Ranch edition truck. Nicer materials inside.
Still pretty tough decision no matter how you slice it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm making the same comparison, but I'm looking at the Denali. Dealers should have them about the same time the crewmax comes out.

I like the tundra for it's rare factor. I like to drive low volume vehicles for some reason. My Titan is almost always the only Titan anywhere I go. When I do see one, it is almost a special occasion.

I wasn't impressed with the interior of the Tundra, it looks like it is trying to hard and will age quickly. The Sierra is a little more plain but will still look good in a few years.

From the exterior, the Sierra is a better looking truck, though the Tundra has a more imposing presence.

Anyway, as much as I thought I was going to buy the Tundra, I am surprised to find myself leaning towards the Sierra.

Linc

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If this poll was between a Tundra and a 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, your towing/hauling needs were towards the top of the Tundra's ratings, and the costs were similar, then that'd be a hard decision.

However, since your deciding between the Tundra and a simple 1/2 ton Chevy, then I know what my decision would be and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it at all.

Let us know what you decide. :tu:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts