Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I recently purchased a 2002 Tundra 4wd. The transmission has a somewhat hard shift when downshifting from OD to 3rd in the highway. It’s not super hard but there is a noticeable bump felt in the vehicle. It does not occur when you manually press the OVERDRIVE OFF button or when the shift occurs at 40-45 mph. It only occurs at highway speeds and it does it every time at those speeds. So far I have done two drain and fills with Toyota atf. There has been no change. I am considering doing the auto rx thing next.

Any thoughts? I’ve read about the planetary gear but it sounds like that is a huge CLUNK. I am not having that major of a symptom. It has been happening for several thousand miles and since I bought the truck. Maybe a bad shifting solenoid or pressure switch?

thanks

Andy

· Registered
17 Posts
How many miles? Unless you know the service history of the tranny, it will be a guess. I have had other issues than you but have had good luck with a fluid change. Not just the first one but the second one after 15,000 miles. My theory is that it might take a couple or 3 fluid changes to get all the junk out. And put in a magnetic filter. I am considering a replacement of all of the solenoids.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truck is at 184k. I did take to a local tranny shop. They drove the vehicle and acknowledged the issue, but didn't think it was major enough to dive in to. I'd prefer to deal with it now before it becomes rebuild time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.