Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 Taco has done this a few times, but it's so rare that I don't usually care much.

Today, I went to start it after it sat all day at work. The outside temp was around 50 deg F. Upon hitting the starter, the engine didn't catch after about 4 or 5 seconds of cranking. It kind of tired to fire, but didn't and I let off on the starter. I tried again and it caught after a couple of seconds, but ran kind of rough and smelled rich for a few seconds after it started. Normally, the engine will catch the first time with only a couple of seconds of cranking and fire up quickly and run smooth. The truck runs super smooth and strong after it’s running.

So has anyone experienced this? Any idea what it could be? I think I remember some TSB about hard starting, but I though it was just in sub-freezing weather conditions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I haven't had it to that extent, but a couple of times I've noticed that it takes what seems to be "too long" to start when cold for a brand new truck. Maybe 3-4 seconds of cranking before it fires. And when it's cold, it really does smell rich. The exhaust smells like gasoline. Perhaps the injectors aren't atomizing the fuel too well in these trucks.

Maybe it's time to start adding acetone. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
On two occasions my truck cranked for a long time (5-10 seconds) without firing - I turned off the key and it started right up on the second try - I thought maybe the transponder didn't recognize my key - but that was just a guess.

Once or twice my wife has gotten into my truck just after I started it and mentioned smelling gas - sitting inside I have never noticed it. I also have soot on the fender by the exhaust sometimes too. It might be possible that they start these engines off rich to get the catalyst to fire off quicker - I think I read something about that somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts