Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently began to notice hard steering when I first start the truck and turn the wheel. It goes back to normal within 10 seconds or so. I wonder if this is a sign of some impending problem? I do some light snow plowing of my really long driveway and wonder if something is on it's way out? Fluid seems ok.

It's a 2003 Tundra with the TRD package.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul

·
AKA blackmbj
718 Posts
I'd bet that fluid has never been changed, and from reading on this forum, there are a lot of steering racks rusting from the inside out. Those members said their fluid looked OK too. The contaminates probably sink to the bottom, which puts them in the steering rack doing the damage we've read about. Just my thoughts and I think I'm going to try changing out my fluid as soon as I'm able to do so. Good luck with yours!

BJ

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
With the limited duration of the symptom, it could be a PS pump issue as well. It might be taking longer for the pump to "spool up" to a consistent volume. I'd take a hard look at the belt tension at the pump as well as connections. Maybe there is some way to test for pump output pressure???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts