Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked on the toyota website and its not a combination that they offer, but ive seen tundras that have option combinations not offered before, ive been thinkin about gettin a big tundra, and if i got one ide want a 4.6 v8 double cab long bed 4x4, ive also noticed that other states have combos you cant get here in AZ.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
and if i got one ide want a 4.6 v8 double cab long bed 4x4,
Just curious as to why you wouldn't want the 5.7? 4.6 is cheaper?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have seen a couple in the DC area. I highly doubt you'll see much better gas mileage with the smaller engine though. The 5.7 has a lot more power and keeps that heavy truck moving easier than the smaller engine. Just a thought.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yeep, these trucks can approach 6000 lbs in certain variants. You don't want what should be a Taco engine pushing that around. :lol:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the 4.6 is a fine motor. but dont get the smaller motor expecting better mileage. its not a reality. just get the 5.7 and be done with it.
and thats coming from a 4.7 owner...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I looked on the toyota website and its not a combination that they offer, but ive seen tundras that have option combinations not offered before, ive been thinkin about gettin a big tundra, and if i got one ide want a 4.6 v8 double cab long bed 4x4, ive also noticed that other states have combos you cant get here in AZ.
I dont think you would like to settle with the 4.6 unless you have a budget that doesn't let you spend the extra few grand.... you'll get the same mileage anytime.... And yes, try using a Houston, Texas Zip code.... In California I am not able to get a RCSB w/ the 5.7L engine only available with a LB....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys are probably right, i should just get the 5.7, but the long box is only available with the flex fuel motor, anything different about it then the regular 5.7?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Flex fuel allows you to use E85 or regular fuel. If you use E85, you have shorter service intervals. You cannot put a supercharger on a flex fuel engine. I cannot remember if the exhaust is different with the flew fuel truck as well. If you don't intend to put a supercharger or (possibly) an aftermarket exhaust, it shouldn't matter.

FYI, I didn't mean to knock the 4.6 engine. I am sure it is a great engine and has a place in the market if one cannot afford the 5.7. It was only around a $1300 price increase for a LOT more power and tow capabilities. If the 4.6 got several (4 or 5) more mpg's than the 5.7 I would have considered it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You should be able to custom order what ever you want id think, and yea, go with the 5.7L. Trust me, you'll love that engine, I still cant get the stupid grin of my face after all this time. :tu: Best of luck, post some pics when you get the truck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flex fuel allows you to use E85 or regular fuel. If you use E85, you have shorter service intervals. You cannot put a supercharger on a flex fuel engine. I cannot remember if the exhaust is different with the flew fuel truck as well. If you don't intend to put a supercharger or (possibly) an aftermarket exhaust, it shouldn't matter.

FYI, I didn't mean to knock the 4.6 engine. I am sure it is a great engine and has a place in the market if one cannot afford the 5.7. It was only around a $1300 price increase for a LOT more power and tow capabilities. If the 4.6 got several (4 or 5) more mpg's than the 5.7 I would have considered it.
i was intending on putting a blower on it someday, why cant i? i would definitely want to put a exhaust on it, this might be a deal breaker

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was intending on putting a blower on it someday, why cant i? i would definitely want to put a exhaust on it, this might be a deal breaker

another thing, i was at the dealership yesterday and noticed the 4.6 only gets 1 mpg on the highway more, i will be going with the 5.7 if i get one haha

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
because the SC is not designed and will not work on a FF motor. but looks like u decided and ur gonna get the 5.7. good job. everyone should do this much research before they buy. ( i didnt haha)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts