Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2008 platinum edition with 6000 miles on it from the dealer as a new truck. It came with the mfg optional TRD brake package. The rotors were warped the day I bought it. Another dealer said there was a heat problem and replaced the Rotors and Calipers. 20,000 miles later, the rotors were warped again. The dealer verified that there was no abuse and that there was sufficient pads left. It appears that the rotors are too small for the massive SUV.

Toyota has refused to cover the 2nd brake replacement under warranty. They deny any issues with the brakes.

On a side note, the full size spare that comes with the truck doesn't fit over the TRD brakes. Toyota says that if you get a front flat, take the rear tire off, put it on the front and put the spare on the rear.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Stuart

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Welcome to the club!
Got the same message from Toyota rep.
Mine brakes were stock. But went through 2 sets and finally had to pay on my own. Dealer confirmed there was no abusive driving.
TRD brake kit is unfortunately the same sh!ty quality as the stock rotors. You are not the first one warping it.
If you want real performance - get Brembo for the price of Supercharger, or put new pads and rotors (stock size) from NAPA.
That is what I did, half the price of Toyota quality parts:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
On a side note, the full size spare that comes with the truck doesn't fit over the TRD brakes. Toyota says that if you get a front flat, take the rear tire off, put it on the front and put the spare on the rear.
This was the biggest thing to turn me off from purchasing the TRD BBK. If TRD put so little thought into a solution, that their recommendation is to start switching multiple tires on the side of the road, I can only assume that the rest of the setup was just as poorly thought out, as you see with the premature brake failure.

I posted on another thread that if I was in a similar situation I would pick up a 20" wheel and adjust the size of the 20" tire so the end result would be the same dimension as the 18" wheel/tire combo. That way it would mount in the stock location and not require the B.S. that TRD recommends.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Yep, change out the TRD BBK and send it to me:D J/K. I think some of the other Tundra guys were having the same problem with the TRD BBK and I know some have had problems with just the regular set up. As for me, I have 30,000 with no warping as of yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts